CD REVIEW: Talbert St. Claire's Tears of the Forest

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I'll look forward to Talbert's next CD, Barb. And I hope you get a lot of good from this website. I've learned a lot here. There are some good folks here.

Don't be a stranger!! :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
CHIFF FIPPLE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll look forward to Talbert's next CD, Barb. And I hope you get a lot of good from this website. I've learned a lot here. There are some good folks here.

Don't be a stranger!!
Well said Blackhawk,It makes my heart sing when I see someone standing up aganst the cabbage and rottern egg throwers :wink:
8) You too Barb. :x I know how it feels to have folk Dissregarding me :-?
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't be a stranger!!
Well said Blackhawk,It makes my heart sing when I see someone standing up aganst the cabbage and rottern egg throwers :wink:
8) You too Barb. :x I know how it feels to have folk Dissregarding me :-?
Wow, butterless spinach, boiled carrots, cabbage, rotten eggs...I get hungrier every time I check this thread out. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Is it just me that finds barb's post (and the user) a little suspicious? She/he has two posts, called Talbert, etc. Hmmmm. I must be missing something.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Az, I also got that odd radar feeling.....let' see...Talbert gets on the board and talks about DS and has to defend his friend.....Barb gets on the board and talks about Talbert and has to defend her friend. I don't disbelieve that she exists, but it sure is peculiar.

Can anyone in that train of friendships simply talk about themselves and stand on their own? Will someone come on and vouch for Barb.....I'm mean, she's a real nice lady and she knows Talbert St Claire and he's a friend of Davy Spillane, you know, so that just goes to show you that she's really cool, and so is Talbert, and so is Davy......

Yep....I'm feeling snarly today....butterless spinach it is!
Last edited by Tyghress on Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
barbprimrose

alazin's comments!

Post by barbprimrose »

Alazin,

Ya see! This is what Tal is saying. Now you are saying that I am Him?That
is very very unfair! i was going to ignore that post at first. your comment was not thoughtful!! :evil: Now I see for myself "exactly" how He must feel. :evil: Is it really so strange that he does have people who admire him and want to say good things about Him? I'm out of here!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

What I still wonder about now, is how come all this agressiveness suddenly revealed oozing against Talbert... I just don't get it... Or is it this board (like so many groups) needs its occasional scapegoat, and then the newest in the schoolyard comes in handy, especially if he's gifted, or just different, or just sticks his neck out?
Azalin wrote:Is it just me that finds barb's post (and the user) a little suspicious?
We all get this kind of signals, on various grounds.
For me it's boiled carrots which make me potatoïd.

Not to say butterless spinach wouldn't make one paradenoid, too.
Now, take both and you can die an Irish flag. Note that both do need cream.
See how Blackhawk and I for once found a common ground?
I knew for some reason we weren't that much OT, on second degree...

This whole bortch (barszcz if you're in Illinois) being solved, let's see what's on the tube... It's either this or trying to get through the finale of the Swan's Lake by memory. I can start it ok, from the low E (EEF#GA, GA, EGEDGE) then there's this tricky 2nd E-Eb-B, then I get a bit lost when it should climb up the 2nd octave. Anyone knows an online source for the :oops: errm, sheet music?
Last edited by Zubivka on Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Aaargh!

I can't stand the pressure! I confess! I am Tallbert St Claire! I dispense free advice and musical samples, and my CDs are masterpieces of hypnotic New Age music!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Scapegoat! Scapegoat! Let's have a scapegoat!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Dear Barb and Talbert,

I wish you both well.

I would like to suggest that you just relax and get to know the folks on this board.

What I'm seeing is that both of you seem in a hurry to take offense and accuse the participants here of mistreating you. Please forgive me for saying this, but it makes me suspicious that your motives have more to do with stirring controversy than with participating in and contributing to what many people consider a remarkably congenial online community.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Tyghress wrote:Az, I also got that odd radar feeling.....let' see...Tarlbert gets on the board and talks about DS and has to defend his friend.....Barb gets on the board and talks about Tarlbert and has to defend her friend. I don't disbelieve that she exists, but it sure is peculiar.
I'm not even sure I see what Barb's defense consists in. He was being heavily attacked here, we're told? Eh? A couple of posts reacted strongly to a single post in which we were told, more or less collectively by Tal, where to go for reasons that simply didn't make sense. Most of us confessed we hadn't the faintest idea what all the fuss was about and went off topic as you do. I didn't know back then and I still don't know.

So what was the rest of the defense? We get a character reference, an assurance that Tal isn't the kind of person who'd react in a touchy way, an assurance that he didn't mind Dale's review, something obscure about Tal's outburst being out of character but (crucially) no explanation of why he feels let down by us. And that, I imagine, is really all we wanted to know.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

glauber wrote:Aaargh!

I can't stand the pressure! I confess! I am Tallbert St Claire! I dispense free advice and musical samples, and my CDs are masterpieces of hypnotic New Age music!
(blink)

Ah....aha!...snarl all gone...I get it...

and Jerry makes another point here....(bold is my own, not his)
What I'm seeing is that both of you seem in a hurry to take offense and accuse the participants here of mistreating you. Please forgive me for saying this, but it makes me suspicious that your motives have more to do with stirring controversy than with participating in and contributing to what many people consider a remarkably congenial online community.
Gentlemen, thanks for putting this back in perspective
<moseying on down the road, tail doing curlicue's behind>

Oh, and Barb, capitalizing 'He' and 'Him' makes this weird impression of what you think of Talbert. You may want to edit that.
Last edited by Tyghress on Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
emmline

Post by emmline »

The postings by "Talbert" come across as written by a person who is sweet and sincere: perhaps so sweet and sincere that he doesn't relate to the screwball, twisted, and often dark, humor that typifies many C&F posters. One need only read the commentaries of "wisely" on the main web page to get the flavor of this joint--a flavor which will not appeal to all, and may actually unintentionally offend others. (Try this: post a snippet of Python trivia--see how many voices chime in--we people is crazy.)
It may be true, as "Talbert" stated, that this board is not for him. Understandable. One needs to be comfortable with some rough & tumble give & take, not all of it tactful.

I hope he and "Barb" will take away the following though: There are many here who enjoy his music. Most respect his skill and musicianship, and none of this thread was meant as a personal attack. It's just the usual C & F nonsense--any hurt feelings were accidental.

Emily
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The review wasn't bad but it said that (a) probably one
will have to like 'hearts of space' music to really like it,
and (b) a great deal of unaccompanied, or lightly
accompanied, whistle gives Dale whistle fatigue.
The whistle, for Dale, works best against
a richer background.

Talbert didn't like this, seeing it as being damned
with faint praise--which is understandable--
took it personally and responded. Well, he's
entitled to have the soul of an artist.
But it's really plain that responding to what one
perceives as negative reviews is invariably
a mistake. I have a lot of work simply rejected by
journals ('We regret that we cannot publish your
effort 'Rape, Riot and Reason' because the referees
say it's a muddled mess of silly arguments'), yes,
it hurts. I have five minutes before I start foaming
at the mouth in which I make myself sit down
at the computer and e mail this message: 'Thank you
for reviewing my paper and especially for sending
the helpful comments.' To anybody who must deal
routinely with rejection, I recommend this highly--
because any other response, except silence,
appears self-serving and wounded, no matter
how justified it really is.

I think Brian Eno's Music for Airports is one of the
most interesting and successful musical pieces
I've heard in recent years. I actually can listen to
it intently. It really might be worth discussing why
it works and what it does. I've never heard it
at an airport, however. I think it would work
very well, yes? Best
billw

Post by billw »

glauber wrote:Scapegoat! Scapegoat! Let's have a scapegoat!
Glauber, been there, been that, didn't like it one bit. Talbert's a nice dude, if a bit hypersensitive and overreactive. Plays good music that not everyone likes (which of us doesn't... uh... well... I guess "good" is relative to skill, but... uh... oh, heck! You know what I mean!)

Waitaminit! He doesn't like my whistles! That should get a goodly number of you on his side... ;) Don'cha think you shoiuld maybe re-think your steaming and fretting now?

Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D