Instruments, Only $472,850.00 US

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Instruments, Only $472,850.00 US

Post by chattiekathy »

Someone posted this on another forum and I knew you would be interested. :boggle:

http://www.insightsconsulting.biz/Instr ... sicoll.htm

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Lark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lark »

I would dear say this this fellow had a problem with collecting instruments, :o one that would qualify for the need of counselling, however I didn’t see any recorders ( I may of missed them ) but that indicates that he was not completely mad. :boggle:
Lark Wood Works: Fine wood crafts
http://www.larkwoodworks.com/
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

To Blackbeer: No, you can't have one! NO, NO, NO!!!

Robin
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Wow...and people here think WHOA is bad? That's an AMAZING collection...*drools over the flutes and those great 19th century clarinets*

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Out of the 163 items, the first 162 are not worth over an average of $500 apiece, USD, for a total of about $81,000. #63, the square grand piano is over priced too, at $7500. There's a few unique instruments like the hurdy gurdy, and a Gibson mandolin and archtop guitar. Most all the flutes are like those on ebay that sell for under $250, and all the parlor guitars are neat, some are unique with the MOP fretboards, but way over-priced. I'll pass, and be about $400,000 richer for doing so. :D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I sometimes wish these people wouldn't do this,
because it's hard to believe that the playable instruments
are being played, and there are people who would
play 'em. There was a store in New Orleans that
basically sold vintage guitars to Japanese tourists,
who like to collect vintage guitars and whose
friends would videotape them buying their
vintage guitar so they could watch it
for the rest of their lives....Best
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

Although I will concede that occasionaly an historically important and rare instrument should be preserved for study/research/prosperity etc as far as I can assertain the ones on this list were designed for only one purpose - playing. Unfortunatley we live in a world obsessed with price rather than cost, value or worth. It is gratifying that the majority of 'fipplers' do appreciate that the words 'best' & 'better' are subjective terms and are easily replaced with 'different'

Remember:

'The man who knows the price of everything, knows the cost of nothing'
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
mignal

Post by mignal »

That's a serious collection of early,mid and late romantic guitars.
Stauffer,Torres,Lacote,Panormo,Martin,Gibson - all have made a profound impression on the history and development of the guitar. The valuation may well reflect this.
glauber

Post by glauber »

The concertina might be useful. And no, you can't have the autoharp. Some things are better left in the museum,
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

Perhaps I have expressed myself clumsily, the value of these instruments is undeniably high, but I am asking why does that mean that they - or any 'valuable' item - have to have a high price. The price of an item is only what someone is prepared to pay for it, it is not an indication of how important it is.

For example compare the relative prices of say .... Penicillin and Diamonds and then decide which one you would rather see the world go without.
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Hmp. I did'nt see ANY whistles, and he's calling the one valve bugle a one valve trumpet.
Oh, the wonders of Ebay.
I have a bushell basket of old horns and stuff I got off of ebay myself.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Maybe the square one is a whistle. It looks like it has 6 holes.

Cheers,
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
glauber

Post by glauber »

No, i've had a couple of those. It's something they sell to tourists in Peru. :) Very good wall ornaments. Usually have pictures of llamas or Aztec gods in them. The double barreled one might be a dvojanka, but if so it's a crude one.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Paul

Post by Paul »

chattiekathy wrote:Maybe the square one is a whistle. It looks like it has 6 holes.

Cheers,
Hey Lark- maybe you could offer something like that for your Squistle line. :lol: :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I don't collect vintage instruments and don't keep tabs on values. My guess is that the whole collection is valued at about half what you would need to pay for a violin if you aspired to being a concert soloist.

Just glancing through, my first thought was that it was not a wildly overpriced collection. There are quite a few seriously interesting guitars there and there is a huge market in vintage guitars that have driven prices for even fairly recent items right through the roof. You'd have to go through item by item to tell though.

The market for collectables is very volatile when it comes to very rare items of minority interest. For example, there might be ten collectors in the world who badly want copies of a 78 record released in the 20s and only nine known copies. The collector who is missing out might well be prepared to pay a five figure sum for the item. If one more copy is discovered you just might get that amount, especially if you manage to keep its recent discovery a secret. But suppose two more copies are discovered. Waht is the 11th copy worth? Well, on my original assumption, it is worth nowhere near a five figure amount. It will go to a much less desparate collector probably for only a few hundred dollars. But if a new collector comes along who's a big spender, back the price goes to a five figure mark.

As private collections go, this is impressive enough, but there would be numerous guitar collections worth much more than this. Almost every rock superstar—and there are now dozens of them—has a collection of guitars with a market-value way in excess of this figure, and most of the big-ticket items would only be about 40 or 50 years old.

A Columbia record executive who retired about 10 years ago after a lifetime with the company reputedly had a record collection with a quarter of a million items. A lot of those items would be worth quite a lot now. Not a bad pension scheme, eh, especially considering that he got Columbia products for nothing?