Amhran A Leabhair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Giles

Post by Giles »

I'm learning this very beautiful tune "Amhran A Leabhair".

Does anyone know how to pronounce the name?

Giles
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Song of the Books :smile:
StevePower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StevePower »

I wish I'd gone the 'Peter Laban route', when suggesting how to pronouce Feadog, in another thread.

So: Feadog is pronouced <i>Whistle</i>.

Steve :smile:
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Did that get settled yet ?
Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I just learned this beautiful air recently. I can't help you on pronunciation, in fact, I also have a question. I know it is recorded on Mick Woodruff's site, but I know it from somewhere else. I have looked through my entire celtic CD collection (200+) and can't find it. This is driving me crazy! Anybody know where I might have heard this tune? - N
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Pronunciation:

"Amhran" Our-awn
"A" Ah
"Leabhair" lyow-or

Hope that helps

Cheers :smile:
Gerry
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-02-05 07:47, NancyF wrote:
Anybody know where I might have heard this tune? - N
Maybe on a Séamus Ennis record, under the title "Valencia Harbour".
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

In addition to some information on the air, which I supplied in a thread recently I came across this little bit written by Breandan Breathnach In An Piobaire 1983:

Amhran na Leabhar was composed by Tomas Rua 0 Suilleabh~in (1785-1848) who, besides being a poet, was also a schoolteacher, fiddler and dancing master. Compelled to yield up his school near Cahirdaniel to a newcomer, he sent his bag of books and other belongings on to the harbour at Derrynane to have them transported across to Goilin. The boat struck a rock on the way over, turned turtle and everything aboard her was lost in the waves. On the same night Tomas's clothes were accidently burnt while he was asleep and he had to stay put where he was until the tailor had made a new suit for him. When he finally reached his destination he heard the bad news and was suddenly struck down ill. On recovering he wrote this lament for his books; in it he mentions also the other loss he had suffered that left him gan snath on speir

Seamus got this song from Colm 0 Lochlainn who wrongly attributed it to Conchiir Maistir Riordain

Fenton in his edtion of Tormas Rua's songs gives "An Spealadoirl' i.e. "Mo lean le lua" (The Cuckoo's Nest) as the air to which this song was sung. He prints eleven verses, of which the first is here given as an aid to phrasing the melody.

Go cuan Bheill fnse casadh me,
Cois Goilinn aoibhinn Dairbhre,
Mar a seoltar f lit na farraige
Thar saile i gcein

1 bPortmagee do stadas seal
Fe thuairim intinn maitheasa
Dlfhonn bheith sealad eadartha

Mar mhaistir leinn;
is gearr gur chuala an eachtra
Ag cach, mo lean!
Gur i mBord Eoghain Fhinn do cailleadh, theas,
An t-~rthach trean.

Do phreab mo chr6idhe le hathtuirse
'Dtaoibh loinge an tfosaigh chalma,
mbIfearrde an tir f seasamh seal
Do raibh an tsein.

[I used scanning software to convert the original to a Word file, this software was not fully able to cope with the fada’s etc used in the written Irish, some mistakes may occur)
Jim Frey

Post by Jim Frey »

Nancy, I believe it was featured as a "Tune of the Month" on our beloved Chiff and Fipple Board about a year ago. It was beautifully performed by one of our members with a C whistle. Jim
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

I think that it is pronounced AHM-rahn A (as in "cat") LAY-vair. In Gaelic, bh = v in the middle of a word.

~ Thornton
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Nancy,
Others have already mentioned where you may have heard the tune, and it's probably one of those. One other place, though, and where I first heard it, is here:
http://www.verinet.com/%7Ektcrumb/tunes/index.php3
on the "Sounds of the Irish whistle page" where it's played by David J. Finnamore (the composer and performer of the lovely "Ithilien" piece Dale posted in the Christmas 2001 newsletter).
Regards,
Cees

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-02-05 11:20 ]</font>
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'll take a swing at this too. .

Amhran: I'd try for Av'ran, despite the broad 'a'.

Leabhair: Lah vihr

But that's an uneducated guess.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce it phonetically (not adequately anyway) but my eight year old son here gives a spin on the Irish pronunciation, rather different from the ones above. I'll stick with the English if you don't mind.
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I think that it is pronounced AHM-rahn A (as in "cat") LAY-vair. In Gaelic, bh = v in the middle of a word.
Not is this case. That wold be more at the begining of a word.

The pronunciation as stated in my Irish/English dictionary is:

Amhran: aura:n
Leabhar: l'aur

Cheers :smile:
Gerry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhistlingGypsy on 2002-02-05 13:14 ]</font>
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

Nancy F asks where she heard this.

I'm pretty sure it's on a Matt Molloy CD. Try the one with something about 'Heather' in the disc title. But the track name is neither "Amhran A Leabhair" nor "the song of the books" just to make matters more iffy.

The disc is not here with me now, and I'm going from memory now...