Any uses for a poison oak barrel?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kirikee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any uses for a poison oak barrel?

Post by kirikee »

Bought an Oak whistle a while back here in Dublin, unfortunately the mouthpiece has the very nasty chemical smell and lip numbing effect described on this board previously. Washed it, but to no effect and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. So my question is: is it worth keeping it for the barrel?
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

The tweakers will give you better answers but, at the very least, you could fit another head and experiment with tweaking.

Alternatively, you might inlcude a book and package it for sale to kids.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Oaks are wonderful barrels. I've put one on a Feadog head, and it's much better than the Feadog with its own shaft. Also, the Oak has one of the most in-tune cross-fingered C naturals.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Definitely keep both the mouthpiece and barrel.

Oak tubes are very good, and you may find another whistlehead plays better on that tube than on its original one. And, of course, you can get a Gary Humphrey retrofit head or a Mack Hoover Whitecap (or both) for it.

I would say, put the whistlehead somewhere it will be exposed to air and forget about it. Check it every six months or so and eventually it should finish outgassing and become neutral. It might take a year or more (or less), but that whistlehead should eventually be OK.

Best wishes,
Jerry
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I got a Hoover Whitecap for mine and it's nice. I recommend sending the barrel to Mack for fitting because the Oak tubes seem to be a little thicker and the fit is snug.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Whitecap

Save the mouthpiece, attach a light fabric or paper sleeve and give it to someone you don't much like for a party noisemaker.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

FJohnSharp wrote:I got a Hoover Whitecap for mine and it's nice. I recommend sending the barrel to Mack for fitting because the Oak tubes seem to be a little thicker and the fit is snug.
I second this recommendation. My Whitecap fit on my Oak barrel with little trouble, and it's a fine whistle now (and quite striking looking, really, with that shiney nickel body and white head).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Oh! The title of this thread confused me! Mack and I had been discussing oak wood, and oak barrels, a couple days ago. I read oak barrel and I thought of oak wood barrels. I saw the thread and thought, "you can't make a barrel out of poison oak!"
Reasonable person
Walden
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Also, it's hard to get the pickle smell out of some of those old oak barrels.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:Oh! The title of this thread confused me! Mack and I had been discussing oak wood, and oak barrels, a couple days ago.
That's funny. I was just looking at my white oak jo, and thinking that it might make a nice whistle. The jo (actually, "o" is long, but I don't seem to have a macron available) is a short staff, about an inch in diameter, and the wood seems relatively smooth and dense, in contrast to my red oak bokken (wooden swords), which have that sort of heavily-pitted look. (I have a lot of odd martial arts stuff left over from my Aikido days.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

If you like the sound of the whistle, you could cover the parts of the fipple that touch your lips with tape of some sort. An alcohol wash might get out some remaining manufacturing chemicals.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I would think that a poison oak whistle or flute would make cocuswood sensitization problems look trivial :D

I must be luck because neither of my Oaks (D and C) gives me any allergic reaction. I don't play the D that much anymore (I have other whistles that get more playtime) but still like it quite a bit. The C gets played some every day - I keep it in my desk at work.

I'll second the "keep it around unwrapped until it finishes outgassing" advice - Oaks are my favorite cheap whistles.
kirikee

Post by kirikee »

Thanks to all you for your advice!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Jerry
In the south it is not pickle smell in the Oak barrels.

Ron
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Further insight into the Oak problem, btw: I had dropped an oak in the woods,
(among birches, actually, thanks for asking), and not found it again until the following year,
meaning it had suffered all kinds of extremes of hot/cold/damp/dry (this is vermont woods
we're talking about), and lo and behold it has the 'chemical smell' and numb-lip effect that people have talked about.

So, I'm thinking the effect is caused by poor treatment, like storing in a 120+ degree warehouse for example, or a similarly extremely high (or low) temperature container car on a railroad siding somewhere...

--Chris