Wicked Cold!!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

On the tri-state news . . . a woman actually froze to death when her car broke down and she went to get help. They found her body in a snow bank. Yikes.
The weather channel.com suggests putting extra clothes and blankets in your car at this time, in case you break down.
I can't remember it being this cold . . . although I think the two and a half feet of snow we had this time last year was worse.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

My car bit the dust Wednesday morning on the way in to work. Between having 213k on it and the engine starting to get weak, it just couldn't take the cold and something in the motor broke! I only sat there for about 15 minutes before help arrived, but it was getting really cold, really fast! The nearest home was within sight, but it was so cold I figured my chances were just as good staying inside the dead car. On the plus side maybe dealers will be very eager to sell a vehicle this time of year!

Ailin
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

chas wrote:
WhistlingGypsy wrote:- 33 celcius (-45 with the wind) here in Ottawa. I am just heading out to play my Overton Low D on the street corner - us Canucks are a tough bunch :D
Man, an all-aluminum whistle in those temps -- if you tongue a note, the Overton might need to be surgically removed!
That was meant to be a joke - I'm not that crazy!!

I did go for a run today though - it was -35 celcius with the wind chill. Maybe I am crazy :boggle:
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Ok, you know that I couldn't stay out of this thread... Loren, you're a weenie ;)
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

p.s. it's only -36 here (looking for a high of -22 and low of -38 ). The papers call this "cold". If it dips below -40 they call it "extreem cold". The cut off for calling off non-school activities around here is -30 to -40. School usually goes on but if it's colder than -20 then the kids can't go out for recess.
Last edited by ErikT on Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

WhistlingGypsy wrote: . . .
I did go for a run today though - it was -35 celcius with the wind chill. Maybe I am crazy :boggle:
Yep, you are.

Right nice here after subzero windchills this morning it warmed up to a nice 30 degrees (F). Not quite the weather you had when you were down here and went to Nanny OBrians, huh?

Whatever the temperature, hope you still know how to
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

10 years ago in my locale we had our only snow day. Windchill took the temp to -90F. School was called off only because the diesel in the school buses turned to gel.

Today is 20F, windchill at 7. Not as bad.

Cheers,
Aaron
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

ErikT wrote:Ok, you know that I couldn't stay out of this thread... Loren, you're a weenie ;)
Heh heh, easy for you to say: I heard on the radio this morning that it's colder here right now that in Alaska. ( -41 below zero with the wind chill this morning)

But yeah, you're right, I'm a weenie: I'd be back in Florida right now if it weren't for the job I'm starting (here) in few weeks......

Loren
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

When you guys are saying, "with the wind chill" do you mean "plus the wind chill or inclusive of the windchill"? Fortunately, there isn't usually much wind to speak of here; though last week it was pretty windy. Makes for a good day to stay inside when it is.

And Ailin, sorry to hear about your car. I hope that you get a good deal on a new one.

Erik
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I love that regional usage of 'wicked' as an adverb.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ridseard wrote:I love that regional usage of 'wicked' as an adverb.
Fortunately, I no longer have the Mullet to go along with it :lol:

Loren
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Loren wrote:I heard on the radio this morning that it's colder here right now that in Alaska. ( -41 below zero with the wind chill this morning)
I noticed that too. I was using http://www.wunderground.com/ to compare areas up north. I noticed that even Barrow was warmer than Fairbanks.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Before I demonstrate my insensitivity, let me first say that I sympathiize with those of you in the Northeast.

Now, though, I have to add that I have been watching the daily news and marvelling at how good you must normally have it up there, at least along the coast. On yesterday's Today show, they were obsessing about the N'Yawk temperature, which, if it dipped below PLUS 1 degree, would set a record daily low. In January!

And today, I hear, Boston reached a heretofore unimaginable -7F!

Ummmm,

Not sure how to put this, but temps like that would be cold but certainly not record-setting in the Midwest. We're having a fairly normal stretch right now with the next few days projected as low-30s by day and upper teens by night. But if you look at the records for these days, double negative digits are pretty standard. And we're downright warm next to those poor frozen souls in Minnesota, the Dakotas and Middle Canada. I don't know why any sane person would ever live in International Falls, MN. or Green Bay, WI (oops, maybe I just answered my own question).

I don't know if the real people out there are like this, but your news broadcasters have GOT to be the wussiest bunch of weather-wimps in existence.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Hey, Loren!

I grew up in Quincy (Wollaston)! Where in Boston are ya? I live in CT now but I will always love Boston (NYC doesn't come close the the charm).

I heard Thursday night that is was -100 degress atop Mt. Washington. I assume that's with wind chill, but that's still mighty cold. Makes the 20 below wind chill we had for our youth retreat last weekend seem like a heat wave! :)
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Norma

Canadian deepfreeze

Post by Norma »

Today is a nippy -26 degrees F, with the windchill it's -53F! :o