Wicked Cold!!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I did my time in Maine; the extreme cold didn't bother me that much, but the length of the winter really did. When it got to be a week or two without seeing 0 F (from below), and when it was winter for five months, that got to me.

Which is why I settled south of the Mason-Dixon line. The thing that gets to me down here is the weeks like last week. I was out in bare feet and shorts on Sunday (it had been warm for three days, thawing the ground), and it was 5 degrees just a few days later and stayed cold for three days.

Just wait, Loren, hopefully the summer will be pisser. :)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Lark wrote:
Looks a little like the Texas Panhandle in August.
Reasonable person
Walden
cyberspiff

Post by cyberspiff »

Oh yeah. Now I remember. That's why I live in Atlanta.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I lived in Calgary for two years. 80 below with
wind chill. Oh god that sucked.
I wore electric undies.
WhistlingGypsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

- 33 celcius (-45 with the wind) here in Ottawa. I am just heading out to play my Overton Low D on the street corner - us Canucks are a tough bunch :D
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
chas

Post by chas »

WhistlingGypsy wrote:- 33 celcius (-45 with the wind) here in Ottawa. I am just heading out to play my Overton Low D on the street corner - us Canucks are a tough bunch :D
Man, an all-aluminum whistle in those temps -- if you tongue a note, the Overton might need to be surgically removed!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

ouch! can't believe what you guys are living through! this is my first "winter" in Phoenix. you would not believe it. i've had the back door open all afternoon letting in the breeze and sun. when it gets too bad, give a shout - there's always room for one more and plenty of water to add to the soup!
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Now I remember why I moved to Texas!
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

86 F and sunny here in Costa Rica. :P

Chris
brownja

Post by brownja »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:86 F and sunny here in Costa Rica. :P

Chris
My sister-in-law is from Costa Rica. Miami is as far NORTH as she is willing to live. Right now my brother and her live in Hawaii. She's ok with that.

jb
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

how do you deal with such cold?

Get yourself a big furry hat, with ear flaps. Forget wool coats, use something with a thinsulate shell, insulation, and lining. Use a heavy scarf. Wear multiple layers under this-long undies, a tee shirt, turtleneck or longsleeve shirt, maybe a sweater. Flannel-lined pants are a godsend.

The booze helps, too. :boggle:
Norma

Post by Norma »

I'm feeling for ya, lark, here in blustery Winnipeg Canada.
A bit of advice, if you're playing your whistle at the bus stop, just be sure your tongue doesn't touch the metal, EH? and for you Californians in the forum, when the weather is -40 C, the man on radio will be letting you know how many seconds it takes exposed flesh to freeze!
Seth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Seth »

I remember a horrible winter when I was in middle school. One of the days the windchill started to approach -60 F. At this point in time I was the last person to leave my house in the morning, so I didn't have my parents telling me to stay home. I set out to walk to school like I did everyday. Now school was only two blocks away, so it isn't like I was walking ten miles uphill both ways, but man was it awful. Once I got to school I realized that only about twenty-five kids had shown up out of 400. We spent the entire day in the lunchroom with the dozen or so teachers that had shown up. I feel for you guys in the North-East. Good luck.

Seth
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Well, most schools are cancelled tomorrow, so the kids don't freeze walking to school. Sounds like good sense to me.

Robin
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Eeeehaaa........it's up to +6 today so far......break out the beach gear!
Yeah, winter is already beyond its welcome.....however, we still have another 3 months to go! :boggle:

It's tough in this weather to warm up the whistles and get the pipes playing properly! :(