Real Tones

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jim Wright
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Real Tones

Post by Jim Wright »

Just starting to learn the whistle .... is there a site where I can hear real tones for each note? Have heard computer generated and sounds nothing like what I am playing. Whistle is in key of D.

Thanks,

Jim
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Do you mean something like a tuner? Or just some clips of songs?

Either way, the sound will significantly depend on what brand of whistle you have.

Welcome to the boards!

ants
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I made myself a set of computer generated tones, because I find it easier to compare a whistle to a set of reference tones than to try and watch the indicator on a tuner.
I agree that it would be better to hear the real thing (and easier on the ears) as opposed to simple computer generated sine waves, but to my knowledge, no such set of tones has been made.
I have the necessary software to create such a thing, and I'd be using professional quality tuned samples from a CD I have, so I could easily ensure that the tone set was perfectly in tune... sounds like I need to stop typing and start generating, eh? :P
Actually, it's something that I've been meaning to do for some time now... as a whistle maker, it would be a big help to me in checking the tuning of my own creations.
Stay tuned... I'll see what I can cook up! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Jim Wright

Real Tones

Post by Jim Wright »

Do not read music or know the tones I should hear but if I could hear what is right ... I think "eventually" I would be able to match it. Of course, "eventually" may take a long time. LOL

Thanks for the replies

Jim
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Real Tones

Post by raindog1970 »

Jim Wright wrote:Do not read music or know the tones I should hear but if I could hear what is right ... I think "eventually" I would be able to match it.
Oh, now I understand what you're looking for... you want tunes to play along with! :oops:
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/
http://www.fingertrip.net/whistle/index.html
http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/
http://cgi.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/folk/sessions/
There are several more, but those should keep you busy for a while! ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

psssssssstt... Jim.... :poke:

if anyone catches you with this, you didn't get it from me... :D

<a href="http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/F ... ne.html</a> -- A search engine for traditional SHEET MUSIC. :twisted:
<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~rsdoiel/tune ... ve.html</a> -- The Tune of the Month archive. link to more PDF format SH33T M*SIC at the bottom of the page.
<a href="http://www.notationmachine.com/how_to_r ... sic.htm</a> -- How to read s***t m***c.

They may run me out of town on a rail for this :P , because many here feel that learning by ear is good, and using sheet music is bad; but I think it would be very useful for you to know how to read music.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Jim Wright

just guessing

Post by Jim Wright »

just guessing that u thought I meant songs .. if so .. nope.

Having trouble with high D on D flute .. have never heard what it is supposed to sound like .. so don't know if I am close. Same with the B ... If I had a series of each "different" note .. a voice saying "play a high D" and then a tone... followed by a pause for my response ... repeating 5 or 10 times ... sure would help. i don't even know if this makes sense .. but seems like it would be an easy way to learn the different note sounds when u are trying to learn on ur own. If there is a 'trick" to the breathing .. this could be given before the note ... seems like it might be very marketable but again ... know nothing about music.

Have a fairly good ear and I know the fingering for the notes but seem to able to get several different sounds for each finger position .. which is not what I think u would want. LOL
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

This might help you but I haven't tried it:

http://www.brenthugh.com/eartestonline/earhelp.htm

Or maybe this:

http://tyz.com/data/interval.html

I typed "tones ear training" into google and came up with these, you might want to try something like that.

Robin
Ceara

Post by Ceara »

Are you saying want to know what each note actually sounds like on a whistle? Like if someone on a website has a clickable/downloadable sound file for each note? Say, click this for low D and so on and so forth...??

I would love this too but I already know how to play regular 'ol flute, so I know what I am supposed to hear, but getting a good tone on a whistle, that is another challenge for me.

I am new to the actual whistle, and I feel it is a very breathy sound and the dog starts to bark, a silly Yorkshire Terrier. haha My boyfriend says, "That sounds like crap, stop playing."

My whistle is a Walton's Little Black Whistle, if you are curious. I'm wondering if it's just me and my newbie technique or if it's the whistle, because my tone sounds like NOTHING else recorded. On the flute I sound great, but this is a totally different ballgame for me.

As far as actually sounding the note, you don't even have to change fingerings when you first start. Just for the higher octaves, blow harder. Play around with it and you will see what I mean.
FireFighterLT

Post by FireFighterLT »

I am new to the whistle also. I cant read sheet music and use a slowdowner to learn my music.

What I can tell you though are 2 things.

1) Start with "D" fingering (All holes covered). Breath very lightly and even and then slowly breath harder. You will find (as I did) that you get a "D" then a louder "D" then shreeks and shrivvles then it breaks into another octave. The note and the tone are before the shrieks. You can play a soft "D" or a loud "D" but you will know the tone of the note (did I say that right?)

2) Use a slow downer and find a nice slow aire. Slow it all the way down and try to match the notes as you hear them. When you match a note you will then know what it is "supposed" to sound like.

Keep in mind though that each whistle is differant and what you get and someone else gets may be two differant things. One may be clear and one may be breathy.

Theres my new whistler 2 cents worth :)
Culture Shock: I once told my wife she was a shopaholic and I was going to clean out her closet. So she goes to the mall and buys a $45,000 home security system and a pair of pumps
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I don't know where you can find sound files for the notes, but I found the sound color analyzer and tuner at the following link to be very useful when I first began practicing switching between octaves. It will display the frequency and the actual note you are blowing.

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html

I was also able to use my guitar tuner to do the same thing.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Jim Wright

3 answers in One LOL

Post by Jim Wright »

yep I want to hear what each note should sound like... then when I see a note on the sheet of music .. I know what it should sound like (not that I will always/sometimes/maybe hit it!)

What is a slowdowner .. never heard of it . and where do u get it?

I seem to be getting some fairly good tones .. just don't know if they are what I am supposed to get. I am also getting some not so good and occasionally a squeak or two comes from somewhere.

Lawrence - are instructions provided for the tuner in English? And, noticed they said it was for a 7 hole something or other. I am assuming that I would be more interested in the frequency than anything else ... i found a site with the frequency of each note and I guess the tuner would display the freq. that it hears.. right? I would also think u would use ur computer mike.

ok . really do appreciate the help .... I am out in the boondocks of Texas .. no one around here plays a whistle . so no one to listen to or watch.

I really like the celtic music - Irish and folk .. just sort of grabs me.

Thanks again,

Jim
FireFighterLT

Post by FireFighterLT »

What is a slowdowner .. never heard of it . and where do u get it?
A slowdowner takes a sound or song and slows it down dramaticly without messing up the tones of the notes. You can hear how each note is played etc...

This is the one I use and im pretty sure you can get a shareware version of it here. http://www.ronimusic.com/
Culture Shock: I once told my wife she was a shopaholic and I was going to clean out her closet. So she goes to the mall and buys a $45,000 home security system and a pair of pumps
Lawrence

Re: 3 answers in One LOL

Post by Lawrence »

Jim Wright wrote:Lawrence - are instructions provided for the tuner in English? And, noticed they said it was for a 7 hole something or other.
The analyzer/tuner includes instructions in English, but it's also fairly intuative. It includes tablature for several instruments, unfortunately, not for the whistle. However, it's easy to configure to display both the frequency and the letter of the note you are blowing.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Jim Wright

Thanks

Post by Jim Wright »

Thanks a lot .. have downloaded the 'tuner' and will get the 'slowdowner' very soon .. nice to have this kind of help.

Been playing (trying) a lot .. sometimes very good tones .. sometimes at least two cats fighting or dying. working slow songs now to get use to it all .. still having trouble with the high D .. that is a hard one for me. Others I think I am hitting every now and then. Funny .. have two different whistles .. one with plastic mouth piece and one with wooden plug both Clarks .. sometimes I can get good sounds out of one and not the other or vice versa .. strange.

Ok . thanks again,

jim