Concerning Burkes . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What type of Burke for a high D? Or another whistle entirely?

Aluminum Pro Narrow Bore
5%
Aluminum Pro Session
12%
Brass Pro Narrow Bore
19%
Brass Wide Bore w/Delrin Head
35%
Composite Session
7%
Composite Narrow Bore
No votes
Get an Elfsong!
7%
Get a Hoover!
5%
Get something else!
12%

Total votes: 43

SwtCaro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Concerning Burkes . . .

Post by SwtCaro »

I'm still trying to decide what whistle to get with my Christmas money. I've been thinking more and more about getting a Burke. I want something fairly pure and smooth, not shrill, even in both octaves. I like a little character, but most of mine have too much, if you know what I mean. I want something I can play for a long time that will be my favorite whistle. Something I can play at home or with other people (probably mostly at home). Honestly, right now my Clarke Meg is played most, and that's kinda sad, I think. It's not perfect, but it's got less problems than my others.

I wonder what your ideas are on the differences between the Burke Aluminum, Brass, and Composite. Also on the different bore sizes. And between Sessions and others.

But, I've also been advised to get an Elfsong or Hoover. There are just too many choices! :)

SwtCaro
eskin

Post by eskin »

You don't seem to have the Brass session pro on your list... that is my preference...
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Mine's a brass session pro too - and I love it!

Susan
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I agree with Eskin, but in its absence, I voted composite. I prefer the Alpro but I have to say that it can be a bit aggressive in the living room. I owned a Brass first and its a bit sweeter. I played a composite at our whistle party and it seemed very comfortable all around, but maybe not as dynamic as the metal models.

Good luck.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Look, different strokes for different folks. The Burkes are ok, but I think they are a bit unexciting (watch Ridseard jump on me for that one) and I think they are over-priced. Think about what you want. I'd get something with a bit of character like and Overton (surprise surprise) or a Sweet Pro.

But don't get me wrong: The Burkes are good whistles.
/Bloomfield
glauber

Post by glauber »

Any Burke will do, but get rid of the Neil Diamond. :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
cyberspiff

Post by cyberspiff »

I love my Al Pro and use it everywhere. I can cut back on the volume for in the house, push it a bit at sessions, lay back when recording. Personally, I don't think you would go wrong with a Brass or Composite either. Michael Burke just has it together when it comes to whistles.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Don't know how to make the poll work but for me it's the Burke Al-Pro Narrow Bore. It's a lovely little thing.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Bloomfield wrote:The Burkes are ok, but I think they are .... over-priced.
Cost has never been a factor for me, Mr. Bloo! (especially since my Burke was a gift ;) )

Susan
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Get the Brass Pro Session if you intend to do much playing with others. Otherwise, get the Brass Pro Narrow Bore.

Ignore Bloo. :P

Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Ridseard wrote:Get the Brass Pro Session if you intend to do much playing with others. Otherwise, get the Brass Pro Narrow Bore.
No. Get the Brass Pro Narrow Bore if you want to play with others. Get the Brass Pro Session if you want to play against others.

And ignore me. ;)
/Bloomfield
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Bloomfield wrote: I think they are a bit unexciting and I think they are over-priced.
c'mon bloomfield, it's nice to be nice :roll:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

lixnaw wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: I think they are a bit unexciting and I think they are over-priced.
c'mon bloomfield, it's nice to be nice :roll:
Oh, just give me a break. She asked for opinions, right? And how many times did I say that it's just my opinion and that Burke whistles are good? What's your problem? You're worried Mike Burke won't sleep at night?
/Bloomfield
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

I just realized that the one that I called the Brass Wide Bore w/Derlin Head is actually listed as Brass Session w/Black Tipped Head. It's the same body as the Pro Session but with Burke's new mouthpiece. So I guess it's the same as the pro session on the poll.

SwtCaro