uillean and GHB

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
James Connelly

uillean and GHB

Post by James Connelly »

I've been learning about the dislike uillean and GHB have for each other. How long has this been going on? I've been playing GHB for 12 yrs. but it's only since I've been reading uilleann pipe forums I've learned about this. Both instruments have their challanges & in other ways are quite alike. (I'm now learning to play the uilleann pipes)(I'm Irish, Scottish, German, Indian, Viking and no telling what else) I always thought the Irish & Scottish were so mixed it didn't make any difference which one you were. I like the loud, proud, heritage of the GHB, marching off to war, and the sheding of tears at funerals, the last goodbye. And the reels and jigs of the uilleann pipes makes everybody want to dance. The uilleann pipes can change octives to add additional feeling to tunes no GHB ever could, but played together, fantastic! So whats the deal? Some pipe makers even make both. Is this an American thing?
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

Hi

Perhaps we have very mixed origins make us more tolerant about that. I've also irish, German, French, English, et. roots, that may help. I like GHB because I can play outdoor, and UP for inside.

Philippe
Breizh soner
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

GHB

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Actually, many, many present day pipers are also GHBs or were. In fact, Eric Rigler studied and competed with GHBs long before discovering the UPs. I believe that Jerry O'Sullivan also played GHBs, and in fact Seth Gallegher started with them in Massachusets as well. A high percentage of the Ups in our Long Island, New York club are accomplished GHBs, and still active. I think that among our group, there is more disdain perhaps for the bodhran (though I like the tempo is can provide for a group or session) and the GHBs are just different. The only exception maybe, is the fact that the GHBs and the marching bands often are more rigid in how uniform the playing must be. The UPs often draws these pipers who sometime become fed up with the discipliarians in those marching bands that begin to take the fun out of it.
anima

Post by anima »

Oh, I'm not so sure it's a "dislike" thing so much as just good natured ribbing.

My experience is that Upipers and Bigpipers tend to respect each others art but will kid each other about their choice of instrument, all in good fun, y'know?

Jeff
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I love both instrument and have played the GHB's for 18 years and recently decided to get into UP's I also have the typical mut heritage, like most Americans. Scottish, Irish, English, Welsh,.. I was raised on both music though.

The So Cal UP Club has several GHB converts.

The two instruments are quite different.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

PUIF has put his finger on something relevant: the military, regimented approach common in pipe-band circles is a bit of a put-off for a lot of free spirits, especially when it gets tied up with competitions, sh*t and blanco, the majorette aspects of the marching band and sometimes a rather mercenary preoccupation with the size of performance fees.

The propensity of pipe bands to play the same one or two tunes that are expected of them (Amazing Grace, Mull of Kintyre, Scotland the Brave etc.) or, worse, two-octave tunes like Roddy McCorley that are sawn in two to fit within the compass of the chanter are also a major turn-off.

But the sound of a pipe band even just tuning up stirs the blood, and I particularly love the sound of a solo war piper playing the kind of tunes that are suited to the instrument.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

We are probably a bit jealous of all the uniforms they get to wear.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Especially the fact that they can get away with wearing lace-trimmed shirts without being called cissies.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: Roger, did you mean to say lace shirts, or the lace under their skirts? :lol:

djm
anima

Post by anima »

Jealous of men who wear skirts? hmmmmmm
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

I'm grateful that an uilleann piper is not expected to wear a kilt while performing; the damned things are hard enough to play without having to sit like a lady!
James Connelly

new piper

Post by James Connelly »

I allso play GHB. I've had people ask me if playing the bagpipes was hard. I tell them the hardest part is putting on the kilt. I try not to think about it. but everyone expects a bagpipe player to play in a kilt so their "paying the piper". I have 3 kilts but I ONLY wear them if someone wants a piper.
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

uniforms? dressed up like the queen's best in a shameless display of medieval crossdressing. the up crowd is generally concerened with how they sound, the hp gang with how they look.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

there's a reason for that...playing the ghb and worrying about how you sound is a lost cause... like trying to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and it annoys the pig! if you sound like that you'd better be concerned with the way you look!

:P

just kidding...don't beat me...
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great fun!!...I knew it wouldn't take long for this thread to get going
:poke:

I'll bet the GHB players wish they had a 71 page fingering chart too!! :roll:

In spite of my partial Scottish heritage, I knew wearing a kilt wasn't for me when I was talking to a guy in a Scottish Heritage Center and he said somethiing along the lines of "and the feeling of your kilt swishing as you are marching makes you feel like a real man."
:wink:
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda