Whistles for under 100 CAD UPDATE2: I now have Syns

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Whistles for under 100 CAD UPDATE2: I now have Syns

Post by NicoMoreno »

So... I have been given a "gift certificate" (from my parents, to the "bank of Mom and Dad) for $100 (CAD) for a whistle or whistles. Basically, I want to know what whistles are under $100 CAD in the keys of B, Low E, and high E (in that order of importance) I hav already checked out Susato, Shaws and Tony Dixon. Knowledge of any other makers (preferably slightly better whistles) that have whistles in these keys would be very greatly received.

As well, Low G, Low C and possibly Low A whislte information would also be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by NicoMoreno on Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

http://www.elfsongwhistles.com/
right at the edge of your budget
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

How much is the Canadian dollar these days?

Syn is surely within reach, and IMHO, one of the best metal whistles out there.

Water Weasel may be within reach, and IMHO, one of the best whistles out there, in any material.

And most things by Mack Hoover would be within reach too, and they're seriously good whistles. Also Serpent...

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Does Mr. Syn have a website these days?

I like the Water Weasel, but I didn't see it in B, and I would like that first and foremost.
glauber

Post by glauber »

As far as i know, Syn doesn't have a Web site. I'm not sure he makes any key other than D, though (i have a faint memory of maybe C, but i'm not sure). His email address is "synwhistles at yahoo dot com dot au". The high Ds are often available for sale from http://www.gaeliccrossings.com
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

NicoMoreno wrote:I like the Water Weasel, but I didn't see it in B, and I would like that first and foremost.
It isn't listed on Glenn's website, but he does make a B-natural Water Weasel.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I second the elfsong, I have a copper high D that I'm quite pleased with.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Board Stalwart Jim Mc, some time back, posted some worthwhile info regarding 'mid-range whistles' that is well worth looking at. If interested, you can sort through his posts in the manner that the Board enables. I recall that Jim focussed on whistles under $35.00. There is also a ton of stuff on the Board about tweaked inexpensive whistles.

Good Luck,

Tom D.
(Figs do not grow only in Samarkand.)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

And I third the Elfsong. I have a C/D combo that I wouldn't part with for the world.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I second the suggestion concerning Mack Hoover's whistles. You could buy a Whitecap, or a custom aluminum, brass, or CPVC instrument, and remain within your budget. Should you wish to bust your budget by a few dollars, check out whistles by Michael Burke.

Good luck in your search...
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Did you see this post?

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=16737

Heck of a deal...an Elfsong C/D combo for $80.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Elfsongs are great.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i have a whitecap b from mack that is awesome. can't go wrong with a hoover!
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

Thanks for all the replies, but the point was that it is $100 Canadian, and for a B, low E, or high E, in that order.

I don't want another C or D whistle, so the elfsongs are pretty much out.

I have since posting decided that I really don't need a high E either, so that eliminates elfsongs completely.

Burkes are WAY out of my budget. (Besides, it is my parents present, not me paying for it) With the exchange rate, it is close to $200.

Most cheap whistles only come in D or C, with the Gens in Eb and Bb (NOT what I want) so they are out.

I think I have decided to go with susatos, although the WW and then Mack Hoover's are a close 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks everybody.
didymus

Post by didymus »

Just wanted to say... I've owned all three of those makes. For the few extra bucks, IMHO, ww and Hoover are MUCH better whistles.