Review: Burke Brass Pro narrow bore D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

thanks all, i finally understand. sometimes i need to be poked about all the improvements :poke:
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Cathy Wilde wrote:and most of the time, the bulge isn't really that noticeable except .... well, never mind. :twisted:
I don't suppose you would explain that, would you? :lol:
elendil

Post by elendil »

peeps, i'd go ahead and try to get used to the oxxxox. that's what i originally learned with and i find that it makes some very nice ornamentation very doable. the flexibility of the burke's fingerings for C nat is one of its nicest features. my problem is that i prefer playing the middle D with all fingers down and on some whistles i need that first finger up.
elendil
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Perhaps we're in "Stop! You're both right." territory here.

Take a look at these posts from Mike and see if it doesn't look like he's indicating there's an expansion at the headjoint. I'm not absolutely sure from his wording, but that was what I thought when I read it, especially since he didn't correct me when I mentioned that possibility in the other thread.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... c&start=15

Best wishes,
Jerry
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Doing some careful examination of my AlPro, I have discovered that the "bulge" lines up exactly with the O-ring for the tuning slide, and thus I conclude it is there to provide the structure to hold the O-ring in place.

The actual bore at this point on the whistle is still inside the tenon for the tuning slide and so the "bulge" does not seem to affect it at all.

Also, I can confirm that on both the AlPro and the Brass Pro, the entire windway is Delrin. At no point does the windway seem to be metal.

Finally, the whistles are quite strikingly attractive. If they do not seem to be in my photograph, blame the photograph (or the photographer) but please not the whistles. They are lovely.

--James
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Thanks everyone, for the explanations.

I don't think the whistles are ugly by any means, it's just that the bulge makes them look a bit "techno." I like my Sindt because it's quiet, simple, and unobtrusive, in terms of both tone and appearance. But I'll probably buy one of these narrow-bore brass Burkes anyway...two friends of mine have bought them recently and they're both raving about them.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Due to aforementioned bulge, the Al-Pro I used to have was referred to as "the Sputnik" at a session I used to attend.
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi Everyone,
I just got a private message pointing me to this thread. Just a couple of comments on the O'ring and the bulge and the expansion.
You are all correct. :)
The Bulge is there as Bretton and Raindog said, to house the O'ring that makes the slide smooth and completely airtight and to make it last for as long as you can imagine, since the O'rings can be replaced if you ever wear it out and it is brand new again. The O'rings have 1/16" thick sides on them, so the OD of the O'ring is somewhat bigger than the ID. This produces the
"Bulge" that everyone notices in the slide. I made the "Bulge' to have facets on it in the way that a jeweler facets a stone or gold to make it sparkle. It is a case of form following function, and I like it personally, but not everyone does. I have modified the slides on my latest narrow bore aluminum whistles
to have a larger flat in the middle and make it look less abruptly "bulgy" if you will. I like to make everyone happy, so I may do the same with the brass at some point, even though I like them, as I said, like they are because they sparkle in the light.
There is also a pert near this point as well, so the people that thought it was there are right too.
Thanks for all the kind remarks. I am always around and am paying attention to you, my great customers so we can give you the whistles you need to make beautiful music. I had been away for a couple of days and missed this thread, so thanks for the heads up message as well.
Happy New Year and All the best
Mike
Tres

Post by Tres »

Amen as to the Burke Narrow Bore whistle. As I have said before, they will have to pry it from my cold, dead, fingers before I will part with mine!

Tres
Tres

Post by Tres »

Amen as to the Burke Narrow Bore whistle. As I have said before, they will have to pry it from my cold, dead, fingers before I will part with mine!

Tres
Tres

Post by Tres »

Tres
glauber

Post by glauber »

Say it three times, brother! :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Tres

Post by Tres »

Tres
glauber

Post by glauber »

OK, four is good too! :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--