OT: LOTR - I get it now

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
elendil

Post by elendil »

mcfeeley wrote:
I don't get it.
Bump. Something to do with Jerry's Deadhead days?

brewerpaul wrote:
I'll second that! Gollum is an astounding creation. This totally digital creature can stand the scrutiny of the closest closeups without looking fake, and the interactions with the real actors are flawless. His body really seems to obey the laws of physics-- he gives the feeling of having mass ( albeit small) and inertia. He casts shadows appropriately and his body surfaces have totally genuine looking textures. I totally believed him.
As are most special effects in movies these days, these were generated by server farms running Linux. Had to get that in. :)
elendil
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sunnywindo »

Something happened last night that nearly knocked me over with surprise. Hubby who definatly has not even cared to get it up til now, not talking about the really into it "learn Elvish or throw hobbit birthday parties." I'm not even into it that much, but I do enjoy the book and the movies, entertaining and a wonderful fictional representation of good verses evil, the struggle of people courageously taking a stand against overwheming odds because it was the right thing to do.

Anyhow, hubby has had no interest, and could just as well sleep through the whole thing. Never been to the theatre to see any of these movies because of that, I always waited until later to see them, by myself after everyone else was in bed. But last night he came home... suddenly interested in going to the theatre to see the ROTK, and not just that, but voluntarily wanting to rent the previous two movies and watching them before going to see ROTK! :boggle:

My first thought was... "okay, who are you and what have you done with my husband." :lol: Why the change of heart? I think it has to do with his three brothers talking about and going to see ROTK last night... that and some good things he has heard on the radio about the three movies, particularly the latest one. My liking them wasn't enough... oh well, that's okay by me. I don't like some of the things he likes either, so is life. But I must admit being happy at this latest turn of events, and while I never expect him to agree to my reading to him the entire LOTR book, his wanting to see these movies with me now is a surprisingly nice turn of events, perahps a step closer to him "getting it".

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

FJohnSharp wrote:The second movie is wort it for the performance by Gollum alone.
Absolutely! And we learn a lot more about Gollum/Smeagol in ROTK. He is easily the most complex and interesting character in the book/movie. Andy Serkis and the CGI team deserve some kind of special award for bringing that character to the screen.

Lawrence
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Seth
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Seth »

MTV gave LOTR an award for their work with Gollum. The studio animated Gollum giving a double-talking acceptance speech in response. It was pretty funny.

Seth
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

TonyHiggins wrote:If you are looking for another good story, I'd recommend Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Tolkien got the ball rolling. There are a number of authors who picked up the notion and carried it forward.
I read the first book of that series in middle school. It was good, but I never quite got around to reading the rest... *sigh*
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
John-N

Post by John-N »

Anyone remember this?

http://homepage.mac.com/evanbaumgardner ... aggins.mov

QuickTime required for viewing.

-John
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Well, we finally saw the final installment today. Technically it was great - Gollum outstanding, such crisp editing that the time actually passed without watch checking (although none of us made it without a well-timed quick trip to the bathroom), etc. It was terrific, but almost a bit anti-climactic after TTT. Even though there were more fantastical villainous characters (giant elephants) in this one, I didn't find them as intense somehow as the original night riders on those snorting big black horses. The grand battle scene of TTT was also far superior as was the marshalling of the forces of good and evil preceding the battle. On the plus side though, the battle in ROTK was not as pivotal as other elements which were masterfully interwoven with the final battle, rather than leading up to it.

I honestly don't see any acting oscars here, but I definitely vote for Peter Jackson for directing, and other technical awards for the film itself (the Gollum work, sets, etc.).

We are about movied-out. My favorite so far - Master and Commander; best in every way, both entertaining and well directed and acted. Surprised me; I guess I got so hyped for LOTR and Mystic River that the anticipation surpassed the reality just a bit. Pick for best actor - Ben Kingsley in House of Sand and Fog.

Oh no, I have to take my daughter to the Triplets of Belleville tomorrow; she has to write a review for the school paper....help

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Gotta chime in here. I also finally got around to ROTK yesterday, and I may have to go back next week. I'm about as strait-laced a LOTR purist as you'll ever find and the movie just totally blew me away. I expected to enjoy it, sure, but also to be put off with the anticipated additions/changes. Instead, I have to agree with whomever commented earlier that they were necessary to make to movie manageable. Numerous fantastic substories such as how Sam actually wound up with the Ring and Aragorn's journey through the halls of the dead would simply not have been doable within the movie's time restraints. And some things I truly expected them to bollix up were handled surprisingly well, such as the Falll of the Lord of the Nazgul. Technically the movie was flawless. I saw plenty of deviations, but while they were a little troubling at times they did not change my appreciation of the movie.

As for Gollum, part of the realism is that he wasn't entirely a computer-generated character. As part of an explanatory video I saw connected with the Two Towers. a professional acrobat was exhaustively filmed doing the stuff Golum did in the movie and the actor who played him was heavily filmed for the closeup/facial stuff to make sure voice matched action and expression. The computers then took those materials and somehow morphed them to create the Gollum visuals, but kept such things as movement, shadow, and facial expression as provided by both the stunt and character actors.

I realise fantasy genre movies don't sit well with the snobbishly sophisticated Oscar crowd, but I rreally think both the Movie and Peter Jackson deserve Oscars for this movie alone, and Jackson as well for his admirable realization of a monumental task in all three movies.

I am certain that this was the best possible realization of Tolkien's masterwork that we could have hoped for under the limitations of current technology. Despite the limitations, deletions (I still miss Tom Bombadil) and outright additions (and I'm still put off by the Elvish Foreign Legion in TTT) I will still say that this is the movie I hoped they'd make when I first heard they were undertaking the project.

I also saw and Liked Master and Commander, but I wouldn't give it any awards except perhaps a technical or costume award. I thought the whole movie was rather a cliche and that the characters were disappointingly two-dimensional. Of course, I thought Russell Crowe's character in Gladiator was also a two dimensional cartoon and he won for that one.

My choice for Best actor of what I've seen might surprise some folks. I'd go with Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean. The movie was remarkable good fun and the credit for it was all Depp's. The rest of the characters were really just props.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I agree with Chuck about ROTK. I may go back as well, just for the battle scenes. But I felt the character development with Gollum was superb. He was a big part of this movie to me. What was missing in terms of time constraints was the tedium in the book of moving across the plain towards Mt. Doom. It seems to take a lot longer in the book in terms of mounting tension etc.

As for Master and COmmander, I don't think they give Oscars for what was the best thing about this movie.. I have never see a movie about sea-battle that showed the explicit nature of broadside fighting so well. The splintered timbers, the destroyed mast and rigging making its clumsy fall and the cramped hellish battle environment really captures the nature of everything I have read about those days. But I had never seen it on film until this movie. The sense I got from that movie was the absolute nature of surviving or dying during battle under intense circumstances. It was exhilarating in that way.

Crowe did a great job of capturing the mythic character of the great British sea-lords but I don't know that it was enough to win an Oscar. You have to be a fan of those days, I think, to appreciate his acting of the role (I am a BIG fan of James Cook). I was puzzled that he was knocked at first when the movie premiered.

I don't think Depp will win best actor either, tho he certainly hammed it up. It was an odd characterization.

There has still not been a great movie about the true boucaniers of the Caribbean (at least that I have seen). That will be a great movie someday and they don't have to go beyond the written history (like using ghosts and stuff) or guys with makeup to have a first class storyline. I haven't read those books (Master and Commander series) so I don't know if a story of that exists within them.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Gotta agree on Depp, Chuck. My family especially loved him in that movie, which was just plain fun. His sachay and facial expressions alone were marvelous.

As for M&C, I thought there was a lot more than action. The interrelationships among crew, the picture of British Navy life, the beautiful actual Galapagos, the great performance by Bethany as the complex doctor/warrior... Only two battles really, well-done, but surpassed by the competitive seamanship and relentlessness between them. I also thought it was funny in spots; sorry, but I still laugh at the "lesser of two- evils segment.

Are you sure about the "Elvin foreign legion"? I haven't read the books in many years, but it was so well done that I thought I remembered it. In any event, I still think of that "legion" marching into Helm's Deep, drawing down on the enemy in professional unison...The Legalos "skateboard" beheading and double throat thrusts were marvelous little turns as well. My wife commented on the bravery of Legalos in ROTK; I was just as impressed with his agility.

Oh well, as you said, no need to quibble here; probably the best possible most glorious production of this that could ever be staged. I'm thankful for it.

Best,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
missy

Post by missy »

Cori - I have a bone to pick with you...... I checked out your link to "if LOTR was written by someone else" and I've spent two days laughing my a@@ off! Printed out the "words" to some ot the songs, and played them on the dulcimer and sang along (it's a little hard to sing and play whistle at the same time :D ).

Anyway, thanks for that link. I haven't had such fun reading something in a LONG time.

Missy
http://www.strothers.com
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com