Shoot me! Another instrument?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mrosenlof
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mrosenlof »

If the weight is an issue, how about one of those Xaphoon things?
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Seth wrote:I have to disagree with Tony. In my opinion, the midi controllers are useful only once you already play the instrument. I think that they are good for learning some fingering, but useless in really learning how to play an instrument.
Actually Yamaha Wind Controllers are very good for learning various instruments. The WX7 has dip switches in the back to make it behave with several settings. It has setting for Boehm Flute, Two Saxophone Settings and Recorder.

I've been playing one now for three years. Of all the instruments I have, I feel that Wind Controller have given me more ability to express myself musically than any other instrument. Another nice thing about is that you adjust it's response to your liking.
Now a Wind Controller can sound like anything - if you want to sound like a certain instrument you have to learn to play it like that instrument. The way I play it with trumpet settings is different than the way I play it with Clarinet - because I want to sound like these instruments - expression is very important here. Of course, I already knew how to play trumpet.

But only one thing, it you want to feel the tone under your fingers then you better get an acoustic instrument.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Seth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Seth »

And I still disagree.

The midi controllers can get you great music, that's fine. But they really only teach you how to play midi controllers. If you want to learn to play the sax, get a sax. Period. If you like a saxophone-esque sound, and just want to make some nice sounding music, then get a controller. But that's not what Jessie was talking about.

Seth
janice

Post by janice »

Thanks Jessie! Anyway, it's good to hear that your experimentation with the sax lead to a better flute embochure.......
trisha

Post by trisha »

Jessie...sounds like you have a classic case of what's commonly known (by me anyway) as This-Pregnancy-Thing's-a-Breeze Second Trimester Syndrome :) .

Beware... it also strikes again ridiculously early after the baby's born This-Baby-Thing's-a Breeze Need to do Something New and Challenging Syndrome. Climb Everest/Form a New Business Empire, that sort of thing.

Both are, realistically, usually short-lived. In the first case all the niggles of creaky ligaments, heartburn, and diaphragm-in-your-throat kick in; in the second, the stay-in-one-place baby develops "character".

Trisha, mother to five...14,12,9,7,and 2 (solo Monday to Friday), herd of llamas and a flock of sheep...not sure which is easiest!
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Seth wrote:And I still disagree.

The midi controllers can get you great music, that's fine. But they really only teach you how to play midi controllers. If you want to learn to play the sax, get a sax. Period. If you like a saxophone-esque sound, and just want to make some nice sounding music, then get a controller. But that's not what Jessie was talking about.

Seth
Look at it this way Seth...
I learned mechanical drafting with pencil and paper. By todays standards, this is prehistoric as everyone uses computers now. They have fewer limitations than drawing by hand.

I merely made a suggestion to Jessie who's already an accomplished musician as a way to expand her horizons with a versatile interface. Perhaps not now, but one day she may experience a wind controller clinic and decide to give it a whirl.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Well, Trisha, that would make sense, but I am NOT having an easy second trimester. I still feel tired all the time (most likely because of anemia caused by my pregnancy-induced aversion to meat) and I have indigestion and discomfort and all those things, so I have NO IDEA why I was wanting to pick up a new instrument now! But I am over it. Hee. Five kids and tons of animals, huh? Wow! We want a few kids (Dan wants more, but I told him that unless there's some medical miracle allowing him to do the pregnancies, it'll be two or three). Anyway, I am back to my flutes and whistles.

I don't like jazz and I don't play classical. I was wanting to be different and play Irish stuff on a sax. People have done it with good results.

I got good sounds out of the mouthpiece, but the inside of my mouth (under my bottom lip) hurts from where my teeth pushed it against the reed! Ow!

Tony, thanks for the thought, and I'm glad you like your electronic instrument, but I am attached to acoustic instruments. Thanks for all the good advice and the anecdotes, everyone. :)
~JessieD
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

FYI - you can use wax on your lower teeth (like the kind to be put over braces when one plays) to protect your lower lip until it toughens up. I did a lot of playing a week ago, both on soprano sax and on my wind controller, and had a few nicks in the ol' bottom lip. :P
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

One thing that might go well with Irish Music and complimentary to high whistles is the Soprano Sax. There are two styles of Soprano Saxes, the straight conical body and the bend conical body. The bent version looks like a toy sax!, the straight version reminds me of my metal clarinet but the big difference is that the bore gets pretty wide near the end of the instrument.

Your sax mouthpiece on a piece of CPVC will not line up on the octave correctly (although they sound great), the mouthpiece on a cylindrical tube overblows on the 12th not the octave. I've made CPVC clarinet sticks before:
http://jubileeinstruments.messianic-web ... arinet.htm
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Ouch, Cal!! I tried using gauze, and that worked ok, but I had a little less control.

I ordered a Xaphoon!

:)
~JessieD
Davey

ya know...

Post by Davey »

..Ya know Jess, it's only a matter of time until you start thinking about picking up the UP's..."..it can't be THAT hard can it?" You think whistle whoa is bad? Heh.. :devil: by the way... www.greenwoodpipes.com ...(hint hint, wink wink...you KNOW I'm right!)

SORRY! I shouldn know better than to toy with a pregnant woman..if it makes you feel any better I just had the big "V" and DARN was it pure TORTURE...
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Trisha sure knows how to raise llamas, and beat whatchamaycallit post-parturial(?) as well as multi-instrumental syndromes... :roll: Hey, cool new avatar, Trisha!
JessieK wrote:Ouch, Cal!! I tried using gauze, and that worked ok, but I had a little less control.
I thought those who were formally taught the sax did not to press the reed with the teeth, but the lower lip. However, many glued leather or rubber to the top of the mouthpiece, so they could "bite" it in need.
JessieK wrote:I ordered a Xaphoon!

:)
Which one? The one I've been offering for sale/swap, down there? :sniffle:

Btw, I heard Hervieux & Glet, the famed breton bombardes/biniou/flute makers have a wooden sax, too. I understand it's simple system plus a couple bombarde-like (or Tenor rec***) keys for the foot.
It's true: I read it on Internet.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:The bent version looks like a toy sax!,
To me the sound of the bent one seems to be mellower in comparison with the straight one.

Ok...has anyone played a straight ALTO sax? I've never seen one in person but it does look massive in pics....and Soprano sax is way heavier than a standard low D whistle.

>Jessie
Of the maker of sax; I found that the tonal quality of Yamahas to be much similar to that of Copeland Low D. I.e. great for fast tunes, bright tone, responsive, can be made to "bark" or "hiss". Yamahas cost relatively low in the market, and they do offer beginners' set...ranging from around $1600. a On the other hand there's Selmer whos instruments cost around 130-150% of Yamaha. Take everything you throw at...I mean they don't hiss. On Selmers, the harder the wind, the greater the volume becomes, and still there will be no hiss. Much similar to Overton (I guess..); deep & dark tone, takes awhile to be waken up, great for slow airs (I think...).

So...are you still thinking of getting a sax? I think Soprano (Bb) will be a great idea. Not too heavy / loud like Tenors :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:The bent version looks like a toy sax!,
To me the sound of the bent one seems to be mellower in comparison with the straight one.

Ok...has anyone played a straight ALTO sax? I've never seen one in person but it does look massive in pics....and Soprano sax is way heavier than a standard low D whistle.

>Jessie
Of the maker of sax; I found that the tonal quality of Yamahas to be much similar to that of Copeland Low D. I.e. great for fast tunes, bright tone, responsive, can be made to "bark" or "hiss". Yamahas cost relatively low in the market, and they do offer beginners' set...ranging from around $1600. a On the other hand there's Selmer whos instruments cost around 130-150% of Yamaha. Take everything you throw at...I mean they don't hiss. On Selmers, the harder the wind, the greater the volume becomes, and still there will be no hiss. Much similar to Overton (I guess..); deep & dark tone, takes awhile to be waken up, great for slow airs (I think...).

So...are you still thinking of getting a sax? I think Soprano (Bb) will be a great idea. Not too heavy / loud like Tenors :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Tony wrote:Jessie,
Have you considered going digital??

With a wind controller, You have a choice of reed mouthpiece or fipple mouthpiece and several different fingerings are available. This way, you plug it to a MIDI tone generator and all the sound is coming thru a speaker. You can adjust the volume or play quietly or listen thru headphones.

These are way cool, though a tad expensive. We had someone play Christmas Eve on one of these. She played a gorgeous arrangement using the cello voicing. Talk about unnerving. Watching her blow and finger, yet hearing a violincello sound.

Apparently you can choice to blow or not to blow as well.

Whatever you decide, whatever you can afford, go for it! You won't know uintil you've tried it whether it's something you want to continue. I've considered for some time myself, but am a bit strapped for cash right now...

-Tom
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.