OT: What 'cha got cookin'?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nancymae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nancymae »

I don't suppose we could get the recipes for that chocolate chip bourbon pecan pie and pecan french toast???? PLLLLLEEEEEEAAAASSSSSEE!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays every one!!!!

Nancy
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
(recipe is vegan...don't let that scare you--it's terrific and not at all good for you!)

egg replacer(to equal 2 eggs)--perhaps you can just use two eggs, though I can't vouch for that.

2 T molasses
1/2 C corn syrup(light)
2 T Jack Daniels...or other bourbon
1 t vanilla
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 C pecans, chopped
1 C choc. chips
unbaked crust

Preheat 350. Mix eggs(replacer,) molasses, corn syrup, bourbon, vanilla, salt. Add pecans and choc. chips and mix together well. Pour into crust and arrange 4 whole pecans on top if you like pretty decorations. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Thank you VERY MUCH!!! I am not afraid of egg substitute...I use it all the time!!! I can't eat eggs...so I don't usually buy any...I just get the egg substitute to use in my recipies....

Sounds like a winner recipe....Thank you very much!!!

Merry Xmas.....

Nancy
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

We have made chocolate crinkles, chocolate chip cookies, Ginger snaps, chocolate covered pretzels, thumb print cookies, and phillo dough cups filled with butterscotch, chocolate and walnuts. We will have turkey breast and all the things that go with it. BTW I would like the recipe for that lentil loaf. Lentils are one of my favorite things. We make lentil burgers and lentil soup, one of my favorite foods.

Happy everything
Ron
jluckett

Post by jluckett »

I have a double batch of caramels on the stove right now. Only two more double batches to go! :roll:

After that, it's on to the Whiskey Truffles, the Chocolate Buttercreams, and the orange shortbread. I've never done the Whiskey Truffles before, but decided I might need 'em after I get done with everything else! :D
An mothaionn tu' t'inchinn ag crapadh agat?
emmline

Post by emmline »

RonKiley wrote: BTW I would like the recipe for that lentil loaf. Lentils are one of my favorite things. We make lentil burgers and lentil soup, one of my favorite foods.

Happy everything
Ron
Part 1

2 C dry lentils
6 C water
1 t salt
3 bay leaves

rinse lentils, cook w/ water & bay leaves until tender. cool.

Part 2

1/2 C ground walnuts
2 1/2 C fine chopped celery
1 C fine chopped onion
1 1/2 C crushed tomatoes(excess juice removed)
1 1/2 C bread crumbs
1 T veg. oil
handful chopped parsley
1 clove minced garlic
2 T arrowroot
2 T flour (soy suggested)
3/4 black olives, sliced (I don't like olives)

Recipes says to grind it all in a food processor, which I don't have so I tend to mush stuff together less finely.
Fold in olives last if you like them.
Place in oiled baking pan or pyrex casserole
Bake uncovered 350 for an hour or until brown edges. Cool an hour before slicing
(Recipe suggests it's better to make a day ahead and reheat.)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks greatly for the recipe. I will definitely be making it soon. I will leave the salt out though. This looks like another great dish for my heart healthy diet. I have been adapting things and looking for new things that are low in saturated fat and sodium. One thing I dearly love is chocolate ice cream. I now make the Jello sugar free chocolate pudding with fat free milk and top it with fat free cool whip. This gives me the chocolate taste and the creamy texture. Sometimes I fold the cool whip into the pudding to make a mousse. It works for me.

Ron
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Good for you Ron!! That is an excellent idea for the chocolate/smooth and creamy craving!! I too have to watch my weight...salt...cholestrol...fat intake. Ohhhhh to have some ice cream again!!!! I even dreampt of having a hot fudge sundae last week. Sniff Sniff.....

Will have to pick up some of that SF Jello pudding!! Hey...crunch up some graham crackers and put under the pudding for a pie-type of thing!!

Merry Christmas to all!!

Nancy
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Our family has the get-together for a meal and present exchanges on Christmas eve, so I am baking two of my faux sourdough "cow patty" French bread loaves and some yeast raised poppy seed rolls today. Tomorrow morning, I will make a cherry saunker (cobbler to you yankees) and grind some "Pumpkin Paridise" coffee to take down to my sister's place.

Piggin' out and visiting with family is better than exchanging presents IMHO.
kabili

Post by kabili »

i'm such a horrible cook that i shouldn't be allowed to cook for others. luckily, between my husband's family and mine, i have 2 special meals to go to every holiday! and my new "specialty" is to bring fresh bread... made from a mix, in my bread machine. thus far, i have not managed to mess this up. i think the less i am involved in the process, the better. :wink:
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. ~~Ogden Nash
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Faux sourdough French bread

Post by fancypiper »

Bread machine bread is better than what you can get in the store, but fully hand made bread can't be beat. Here is my favorite:

In a 1 gallon crock, mix 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and a pinch of yeast. Mix in 2 cups of lukewarm water, cover and let sit overnight until you are ready to work the next day.

The next day, stir in 1 pk yeast (or nearly 1 tablespoon of bread machine yeast), 1 tablespoon of salt and blend. Stir in 3 more cups of flour (bread flour can be substituted in whole or part for the whole wheat flour). Kneed well on a floured board or counter top until dough is smooth and elastic and has some "bounce" to it, usally 5-7 minutes.

Place in a greased bowl, cover and let raise for 1 hour.

Punch down, place a cloth in another bowl (or wash and dry if you only have one bowl the right size), sift a little flour on the cloth to keep dough from sticking. Place dough on the floured cloth in the bowl with the "messy" side of the dough up, the smooth side goes down as it will be the top of the loaf. Let rise another hour.

30 Minutes before the bread is ready to bake, place a pot of boiling water in the oven, put baking stone on rack, and pre-heat to 450 degrees F.

Remove stone, sprinkle with yellow cornmeal, then dump dough onto stone and return to oven, reducing temp to 400 degrees F and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, brush off excess flour and cool.

When sliced, cover up the sliced end with tin foil and leave the crust exposed to cure into the crust I love.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Well, tomorrow is gonna be the standard standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, mashpoes, gravy, and veggie.

Tonight is chili. I normally do a veggie chili and a meat chili with either beef or pork (whatever's on sale), but today it's venison, which my wife's mother and stepdad brought. For them's eats meat, it's a really wonderful dish. This is an approximate recipe:

4 lb meat (after boning)

2-3 cubes bouillon (I usually use all beef, but for the deer, it's 2 beef and 1 chicken)

1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin powder
chile peppers to taste (this batch has,so far, 3 rounded tsp of homegrown, pickled habaneros)

1 cheap beer
enough more water to cover the meat

Boil for several hours, topping up with water periodically. This is really best made a few days ahead and reheated. The deer meat is kinda tough, and the chiles serve also as a tenderizer.

Start out with scant amounts of herbs/spices and adjust accordingly after 2-3 hours.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

chas wrote:Well, tomorrow is gonna be the standard standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, mashpoes, gravy, and veggie.
We're having that tonight. Tomorrow we're having Indian food.... :boggle:

Robin
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
chas wrote:Well, tomorrow is gonna be the standard standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, mashpoes, gravy, and veggie.
We're having that tonight. Tomorrow we're having Indian food.... :boggle:

Robin
Just didn't feel that I could do rib roast justice on a work day. I'd do Indian, too, except we have some guests who aren't, uhmm, that adventuresome. Charlie-style Mexican is almost pushing the envelope.

What's everybody drinking? I'm doing my own raspberry wheat beer, along with some Hoegaarden that a friend kindly gave me (YES!!!!). With the beef, my wife (the wind-drinker of the family) will probably do a Cotes-du-Rhone.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.