OT (Acoustic Guitar): Strap Button pilot hole question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

OT (Acoustic Guitar): Strap Button pilot hole question

Post by Loren »

I need to mount a strap button on my acoustic guitar - treble side heel of the neck position, "Taylor style" if you will. Eventhough the guitar is a beater, I don't want to crack the heel: Anyone know how wide and deep the pilot hole should be in relation to the size of the strap button screw?

Loren
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

I would start with it as deep as the screw will penetrate and with a diameter roughly 1/2 that of the screw. If it seems as if it is very hard to screw in stop, gradually enlarge the pilot hole until you can seat the screw fully without needing a death-grip on the screwdriver.

Also, you might check the package the strap button came in, sometimes they tell you what size hole to drill.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Loren, one other item you may need to consider. How is the neck attached to the body? If it is a dovetail, then you should have no problems. If it is a bolt-on, you'll have to be aware of where the bolts come into the heel of the neck.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Why some guitar manufacturers don't put a strap button on the heel of the neck has always mystified me!
It's an operation that I've had to perform a few times, and I've never had any problems.
The screws provided with strap buttons are fairly small diameter, and usually don't penetrate too deeply... just don't force the screw in, and you should have no problems.
Choose a drill bit that is the same diameter as the shaft of the screw for your first attempt, and re-bore with a slightly larger one if the screw doesn't go in easily.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: OT (Acoustic Guitar): Strap Button pilot hole question

Post by kkrell »

Loren wrote:I need to mount a strap button on my acoustic guitar - treble side heel of the neck position, "Taylor style" if you will. Eventhough the guitar is a beater, I don't want to crack the heel: Anyone know how wide and deep the pilot hole should be in relation to the size of the strap button screw?

Loren
Loren,

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/strapbuttons.htm

Hmmm, yet another useful link found through the WORLDTRAD site. INSTRUMENT->GUITAR->Build

My strap ties to the peghead.

All the best,

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

raindog1970 wrote:Why some guitar manufacturers don't put a strap button on the heel of the neck has always mystified me!
It's an operation that I've had to perform a few times, and I've never had any problems.
The screws provided with strap buttons are fairly small diameter, and usually don't penetrate too deeply... just don't force the screw in, and you should have no problems.
Choose a drill bit that is the same diameter as the shaft of the screw for your first attempt, and re-bore with a slightly larger one if the screw doesn't go in easily.
I think it's because different people like the strap button in different positions, I prefer mine on the bottom side of the neck joint, I've never like it on bottom of the heel. if someone plays left-handed they may want it on the other side of the heel.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if the neck is bolted on or not: Looking inside the guitar, I can't see any bolts in the end of the neck block, but sometimes there's a cap to hide the bolts, so I can't be certain. On the one hand I'd suspect a bolted neck since this guitar typically sells at Sam Ash for around $100 (Carlo Robelli J-220) and the neck terminates in a squarish block inside the guitar. OTH, it's hard to imagine a company going to the trouble and expense of hiding the bolt heads on something this cheap (although it's an amazing guitar for the money). If I had a small Rare Earth magnet it would be easy enough to find any bolts and their positions, but I don't have an RE lying around. Hmm, what to do....

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Never had any problem with this.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Loren,
You should give a visit to http://www.mimf.com, there are a lot (almost too many) of Guitar Makers of all ranks that would be happy to help you with the problem. In fact, you might be able to find a member who is local to you.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jim stone wrote:Never had any problem with this.
With what?! :-? Adding a strap button? Figuring out if a neck is glued or bolted on? Finding the bolts prior to drilling a hole in the heel???

Be more specific man! :lol:

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Loren,
You should give a visit to http://www.mimf.com, there are a lot (almost too many) of Guitar Makers of all ranks that would be happy to help you with the problem. In fact, you might be able to find a member who is local to you.
Thanks Daniel, I do need to swing by that forum and check it out, I've just been too busy dealing with other stuff lately to have the free time :(

Loren
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Loren, another good link with tons of info on any guitar repair is http://www.frets.com. Frank Ford runs the site, and he will answer questions emailed to him.
Image Scott

Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks Scott, I've actually been aware of Frets.com for a couple of years now, and that was the first place I went looking for the strap button info. Unfortunately the section on installing strap buttons had all the info except suggestions on pilot hole size, hence my post here.

I think the issue of checking for bolts can only be solved with an RE magnet or a visit to a knowledable luthier at this point - something that will have to wait till well after the holidays.

OTH, since it's an inexpensive guitar, I may get impatient and just start drilling :twisted:

Scott, did you see my response to your post over in the GC instrument making Forum?

Loren
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I did now. :) Hadn't been there in a while, so I replied once I saw your post.
Image Scott

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Taylor guitars website has several "tech sheets", one oof which is installing a strap button. check it out..
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."