New fingering chart now online

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

New fingering chart now online

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey guys,

I've had a few requests to put a fingering chart up on the SLPC site and so I worked out a quick one this evening. Normally it's linked from "The Pipes" page but I'll include the direct URL below. I'd be interested to know if anyone has difficulties with display or tone downloads. I've got it rigged to play the note when you click on a particular fingering (I think!) If anyone has troubles hearing the notes, I'd appreciate hearing back about it so I can work on a remedy. Thanks! P.S. Does anyone see anything I left out?

http://www.saltlakepipers.com/The-Pipes ... rings.html

Brian~
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Brian,
The blued note holes are a little hard to see. Perhaps white or a lighter blue in the holes to cover for the given note will show up better. Site looks good!
Ailin
Last edited by Ailin on Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Pipey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Uilleann Fingering

Post by Pipey »

Brian, nice job on the web site. Very informative and professional. Best,
"So many tunes, so little time"

Member - www.hudsonriverpipersclub.com
glands

Post by glands »

That's some mighty fine photoshop work.

Lovely chanter, too. :wink:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Maybe you should explain this chart only one possible fingering for each note. The most 'closed' version of the scale taking off only the bare minimum of fingers, opposed to the scale that leaves on the minimum required [and there are many shades in between the two] There's no reason to stick to this chart rigidly. Taking more fingers of for A for instance will play it more in tune than the usually slighly flat single fingered A [try tuning your drones to that] and recommending people to play a single fingered A in the octave, well that's really making life unnecessarily hard.
Big Mick

Post by Big Mick »

Brian, let me start by saying what a wonderful site you have there. I love the way you give basic information without being redundant, but rather just linking them to others. Everything about this site is pleasing visually, and informationally. Well done!!

While I really like the idea for the fingering chart, I would agree that you should change the color used to show open holes. Go with yellow or lime green (no kidding!) and it will be much more effective.

Great work, sir.
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

By gum, it looks like somebody rubbed the C natural and F natural keys clean off that chanter.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Who's chanter is that?? Mighty pretty wood
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Looks to my eyes like the C chanter from Lewis Blevins' Koehler & Quinn beehive set. Castella lemonwood isn't it?
glands

Post by glands »

'Tis indeed castella lemonwood....but doesn't smell much like lemons....nor like castellas (whatever they are).....sort of smells like David's shop come to think of it (what does yours smell like?).

I'll send Brian a photo of the back side of the chanter soon so he can authenticate the site. Speaking of photos...my avatar is of a D set by Koehler and Quinn.

I agree with Mr. Laban that the chart is just a start and oriented to beginners. Perhaps this is one area of the SLCPC site that could grow over time.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

fingering chart

Post by tommykleen »

Do other folks out there have trouble with the sound files on this excellent site? I have a Mac.

t
djm

Post by djm »

I can't play them either. Win Media Player keeps saying there is a network error. Possibly something about the way the files are presented (?).

djm
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I wasn't able to get these files to play a couple of days ago while using Netscape. Today, I used Internet Explorer and the files played just fine. Not the first time that my choice of browser has made a difference.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Good day Monsignor Quinn,

The audio files worked fine for me, nice work on the site Brian.

The photo of the chanter may have come from this page:

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/extras_k&q.html

...there are a few pictures of the set scattered about on there :)

Nollaig Shona Duit,

Patrick.