Need more Cleveland Whistlers!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FireFighterLT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need more Cleveland Whistlers!

Post by FireFighterLT »

This is why it sucks to live in Cleveland. I posted a few days ago regarding hitting the higher octaves. I just coulnt get them.

So I am sitting here (at work) just whistleing away and chewing on the end of my fipple or chiff or whatever the end is you blow in.

Then it happened! I swear there was an angelic light coming out of the tiled ceiling, the day seemed a little brighter, the birds sang a little louder....I sneezed into my whistle and hit a perfect F# !!!!! :D

I wasnt blowing hard enough to get over all the squeeks!!! I could have saved DAYS of agonizing irritation and handfuls of paper towels (to clean off the whistle) if their were just someone in my area who would have told me.

Take heed all you new whistle people, accidents sometimes make things oh SO much easier in the whistle world! :thumbsup:
Culture Shock: I once told my wife she was a shopaholic and I was going to clean out her closet. So she goes to the mall and buys a $45,000 home security system and a pair of pumps
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Actually there's a few of us N.E. Ohioans here on the board. I'm a little too far south to be of any help, just between Akron and Canton. However, if you'll check at your local Hibernians, many of them offer whistle classes. There's more whistlers in Ohio than you'd imagine. Last year at Christmas it seemed as though every other church was having a Celtic Christmas celebration with at least one whistler. Plus there's a local ensemble, the Searchlight Ensemble, that has a whistler. But do check with the Hibernians.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
morgan

Post by morgan »

I'm near Dayton (20 miles eastof it) and always trying to find ITM players in the area. Anybody?
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I'd visit you for a few days but I let my passport expire :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

morgan wrote:I'm near Dayton (20 miles eastof it) and always trying to find ITM players in the area. Anybody?
Brock Napierkowski, a fine ITM fiddle player, moved to Dayton last spring. I believe he's been spending a lot of time hanging out with the Cincinnati-area ITM players...
tiny

Post by tiny »

I'm from Lodi, and I know a really good teacher in Bay Village
burnsbyrne

Re: Need more Cleveland Whistlers!

Post by burnsbyrne »

FireFighterLT wrote:This is why it sucks to live in Cleveland. I posted a few days ago regarding hitting the higher octaves. I just coulnt get them.

So I am sitting here (at work) just whistleing away and chewing on the end of my fipple or chiff or whatever the end is you blow in.

Then it happened! I swear there was an angelic light coming out of the tiled ceiling, the day seemed a little brighter, the birds sang a little louder....I sneezed into my whistle and hit a perfect F# !!!!! :D

I wasnt blowing hard enough to get over all the squeeks!!! I could have saved DAYS of agonizing irritation and handfuls of paper towels (to clean off the whistle) if their were just someone in my area who would have told me.

Take heed all you new whistle people, accidents sometimes make things oh SO much easier in the whistle world! :thumbsup:
FFLT,
I think you were on the phone with my teacher when I arrived for my lesson yesterday. Did you sign up? He's a good teacher and a fun guy. He has certainly helped me!
Mike
FireFighterLT

Post by FireFighterLT »

FFLT,
I think you were on the phone with my teacher when I arrived for my lesson yesterday. Did you sign up? He's a good teacher and a fun guy. He has certainly helped me!
Mike
Yup, seems like a nice guy. I am gonna start right after the holidays :)
Culture Shock: I once told my wife she was a shopaholic and I was going to clean out her closet. So she goes to the mall and buys a $45,000 home security system and a pair of pumps
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

Well, I suppose that Youngstown is a little too far away to hear you, but if you blow hard into a Generation G, I think I (as well as all the dogs within
an 80 mile radius) could.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

FireFighterLT wrote:
FFLT,
Mike
Yup, seems like a nice guy. I am gonna start right after the holidays :)
I take from him too. I learn every time I go there.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Which is kind of a 'duh.' Of course I learn whistle. But I learn Irish music and culture and music in general.
morgan

Post by morgan »

[quote="colomon"][quote="morgan"]I'm near Dayton (20 miles eastof it) and always trying to find ITM players in the area. Anybody?[/quote]
Brock Napierkowski, a fine ITM fiddle player, moved to Dayton last spring. I believe he's been spending a lot of time hanging out with the Cincinnati-area ITM players...[/quote]

Do you know how to contact him? Thanks.
Kar

Post by Kar »

I grew up in Norton, outside of Akron, outside of Cleveland. Does that count?
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Kar wrote:I grew up in Norton, outside of Akron, outside of Cleveland. Does that count?
Norton? I worked there for about 8 years. I work in Barberton now. I still know quite a few folks who live in Norton.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Kar wrote:I grew up in Norton, outside of Akron, outside of Cleveland. Does that count?
I drove through Norton tonight, on the way to Barberton--and it wasn't for the chicken.