OT:What would be Latin for "Who in hell invited her?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT:What would be Latin for "Who in hell invited her?

Post by Dale »

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - American singer Lauryn Hill, from a stage used by the Pope, shocked Catholic officials at a concert by telling them to "repent" and alluding to sexual abuse of children by U.S. priests.

The broadside came during the recording Saturday night of a Christmas concert attended by top Vatican cardinals, bishops and many elite of Italian society, witnesses said.

Hill made her comments when taking the microphone to sing at the concert, held in the same huge hall and stage Pope John Paul uses for his weekly general audiences and other events. The Pope was not present.

"I did not come here to celebrate the birth of Christ with you but to ask you why you are not in mourning for his death inside this place," she said according to a transcript of her statement run by the Rome newspaper La Repubblica.

A spokesman for Prime Time Productions, the concert's organizers, said the newspaper's quotes were accurate.

"God has been a witness to the corruption of his leadership, of the exploitation and abuses ... by the clergy," she said.

This was an apparent reference to the scandal in the United States last year over the sexual abuse of children by priests.

Hill told the crowd to seek blessings "from God not men" and said she did "not believe in representatives of God on earth."

A few feet away in the front row sat five cardinals, including Edmund Szoka, American governor of Vatican City.

Hill, 28, did not sing the song listed on the program but instead sang a song about social injustice.

Organizers said Hill's outburst and performance would most probably be cut from the show when it is aired on Christmas Eve.

Hill shot to fame in the mid-1990s with band The Fugees, whose album "The Score" sold 17 million copies, to become one of the biggest hip-hop chart successes of all time.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Who did invite her? And via what life experiences does one acquire the mindset that this sort of rudeness is the correct behavior?

There are times and places where going against the grain are necessary...but really...

(I really wish I had taken Latin...but in this case caveat emptor, just sub event planner for emptor.)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

What's so stunning about her being invited is that there has been an abundance of press about how erratic and bizarre her behavior has been in recent years, including the fact that she has been following some lone guru, "Brother Anthony", who claims unique abilities to interpret scripture. Anyway, looks like the Vatican vetting process made a major boo-boo.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A major "Ooops", to be sure.
otter.aj

invite

Post by otter.aj »

i guess time and the place would b when u get the chance i would think...... and maybe the subject she was talking about went above good manners....
we played the flute 4 u and u did not dance,we sang a dirge and u did not mourn
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Remember in the 1980s (late '80s?) when Sinead O'Connor tore up that picture of the Pope on Saturday Night Live, saying something like, "Fight the real enemy!"?

I guess that wasn't Vatican planners screwing up . . . ;)

Stuart
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm not particularly prone to criticize her for speaking out for abuse victims and against the abuse of Church authority, even in that venue. She also took the opportunity for some general anti-catholic remarks, not related to abuse. But, my real point was, how did this get by the planners?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
finkelsj

Post by finkelsj »

I can't comment on the subject, but I can help with the original question. After hours of research and searching through my old college latin textbooks, I believe the proper translation for "Who in hell invited her" is "
Owhay inway ellhay invitedway erhay".

Then again, I never really did pay attention in that class :lol:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

She's just gotta join the Dixie Chicks.
cj

Post by cj »

If I were making a list of performers to ask to sing at a Christmas concert attended by the Vatican, Lauryn Hill wouldn't be the first artist to come to mind . . . Gee, maybe next year they can get Missy Elliott to sing "Work It"! Or maybe AC/DC can sing "Highway to Hell"!
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Can we look at it from another perspective?

What if she's one of those people who drag us kicking and screaming into the direction we ought to go...?

Like John Brown, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony, and Martin Luther King?

Reviled and ridiculed in their time, but ultimately proven right, even if some of their methods were wrong. (John Brown planned to arm a slave revolt with pikes, for pete's sake.)
Marguerite
Gettysburg
emmline

Post by emmline »

mvhplank wrote:Can we look at it from another perspective?

What if she's one of those people who drag us kicking and screaming into the direction we ought to go...?

Like John Brown, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony, and Martin Luther King?

Reviled and ridiculed in their time, but ultimately proven right, even if some of their methods were wrong. (John Brown planned to arm a slave revolt with pikes, for pete's sake.)
Could be...it takes tuggin' to move a barge...but as Dale says, interesting that they invited her.
Mystee

I believe...

Post by Mystee »

Now don't quote me on this because the grammar is probably off..
but the literal translation would be...
" Quis in inferi invitare suus?"!!!
Have fun!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Yeah, Mystee you have to conjugate...

Quis in Tartarus invitabat illa?

Dang, someone should have known that Lauryn Hill would be a controversial guest. May as well have invited Sinead O'Connar.

--------------------------------------------

tibias quae ex stanno fiant dicitur hic.
(Tin whistles spoken here.)