Sold my soul for pure sound AND volume

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mongoose of Righteousness
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sold my soul for pure sound AND volume

Post by Mongoose of Righteousness »

I've noticed that quiet whistles have a better tone than loud ones. (That comment may start its own firestorm). Anyway, I've found a way to have both volume and sweetness. At Wal Mart I picked up a microphone, stand, and amp/speaker for about $95...not on special. The brand is First Act, a low ender made in China. I was surprised by how sturdy the set was. I use it when our fiddler is not available and I need extra volume as the only melody player in a band of 4. I've used it with a tweaked Oak. You have to work the knobs a bit to get it right. Not too much Gain, not too much Treble.

Ah, purist that I am!
U2

Post by U2 »

'goose - I purchased a high quality, Shure, vocal, mic some time back. I don't often use it 'cause we just don't play through a PA much. But I have messed around with a headset mic a little bit and the freedom to move around, while keeping the right relationship of mic to whistle/flute is pretty cool. The headset doesn't allow you to back out of the mic. like a stand does, but it was really helpful in moving around to establish eye contact for the changes, etc. Just a different option.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Yeah, I did buy a headset myself and it's much more fun to play with. I love to swing and move my body along the music when I play, and when you play in a standard microphone you really need to limit your moves. The only thing is that mine has some pressure on the left and right side of the head to keep it in place and after a few minutes it's really annoying.
Eliezer

pig

Post by Eliezer »

Don't forget the Pignose series of battery-operated portable amps.

Though designed for guitars, they work well with Radio Snack lavalier mics, and the speaker is bandwidth-limited just where you'd want it to be for a pennywhistle.
"Talk cannot cook rice." - Charlie Chan
glauber

Post by glauber »

... or just learn how to play the trombone.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I have a Crate Amp, the volume controls get flaky after a couple of years. I'll probably replace the controls with better ones, I noticed other Crate owners on the Net have done this.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Azalin, are you happy with the sound your mic produces? If so, what do you have? I've been wanting to get a headset mic, but didn't know what brand/model would do a good job for whistles.
Tony
(Yes, I've searched the archives here for previous discussions. I just got mixed up.)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i bought my soul with pure sound and volume :D
Steven

Post by Steven »

This talk of headset vs. fixed mics makes me think of the Solas concert I went to last year. Seamus Egan used a mic on a stand, but he didn't limit his movements very much. He really gets his whole body into it, moving all over the place at an incredible speed. The only thing that stayed in one place was his mouth and the embouchure of his flute. Everything else pivoted around that. What a sight!

:-)
Steven
Mongoose of Righteousness

Post by Mongoose of Righteousness »

I thought about a headset mike or one of those types that clips onto the instrument. They cost more. Plus you can't back away from the mike on high/loud notes. If I play my Syn Whistle into that mike I want to be able to back off at the high end.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Any idea how the Pignose sounds with a D flute?
What's good, battery operated, and small?
Eliezer

Pignoses

Post by Eliezer »

There are actually three Pignoses. The basic model is about $80 with a 5-or-6 inch speaker. The Model 20 (or somesuch name) costs more, but has an 8-inch speaker, sounds better and has a built-in rechargable battery. I believe it takes two inputs, too. The Model 30 has even more power and "umph". I've never actually heard one, though.

The basic unit (which I have owned for 20 years now) is mostly midrange, and sounds like an FM radio. The Model 20 sounds like a decent practice amp. Since flutes and whistles are mostly midrange, you will sound OK with either, depending on your mic. I personally find a $20 Radio Shack lavalier with a foam windscreen rubber banded to my whistle works for playing Morris tunes at dawn on Mayday. Your mileage may be different.

If you are a street musician I strongly recommend the Model 20, with the built-in rechargable battery. It's louder and sounds better.

If you can go all out, Crate makes a series of battery-operated amps called Taxi. Sounds better than the Pig, and the speaker tilts up towards the audience. It has a built-in rechargable battery, looks cool (at least the yellow-and-black one), but, alas, it's volume control is not a pig's nose.
I think they are about $250.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

This mike sure looks like the ticket. http://www.mrmicrophone.com/silk/default.htm
When on the web page look for "Products" and click on flute. I was looking for a smaller harmonica mic but these were too pure sounding. I think that would be good for a whistle.