Ot: HObbies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistle_along_Cassidy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ot: HObbies

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

Hi all
hows it going, well anyways i wanted to know what some of your hobies are, besides whistle and tutting on a flute. Mine are playing baritone, trumpet, slap style bass guitar, normal guitar, classic cars, running, swimming, soccer, i usually go through a ramdom set of hobbies as the year goes by such as potato guns(which unfortunatly burned my eyelash off), water bottle rockets, skateboarding, surfing, etc. I also like listining to Jazz and, classic rock and roll, and Emo. Just wondering what some of yours are.
-andrew cassidy
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Well, my biggest hobby outside of whistling is NASCAR - going to races, watching races and stuff on TV, etc. It's wonderful. (And I have played my whistle tailgaiting at the races, to combine the hobbies). I also like to read, do counted cross stitch from time to time, play with my cat, chat with my nieces online, and travel when I can (not nearly often enough). I am also very involved with my church, but that's not really a hobby in my opinion, but it does take up a lot of my spare time.

Guess that's about it!

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Currently, machine knitting, counted cross stitch, candy making and stamping (not the postage kind...the rubber kind). In winter there is cross country skiing, and during the odd warm-location vacation, there is scuba.

Musically, the whistle and IrTrad takes a major portion of my life, but I also spend time with hammered dulcimer and NA flute.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lurking.

I used to read a LOT before I got a computer...just starting to get back into it again, and am at present forming an acquaintance with Nabokov.

I haven't painted or sculpted in quite a while; ITM takes up much of my time and energy.
emmline

Post by emmline »

It's easy to have too many hobbies. I have a series of vid lectures on particle physics which I'm halfway through...and astronomy to follow that.
Is not tickling my fancy as much as the quantum physics/relativity series did though. I'd also have to relegate writing my book (though I consider it my avocation,) to the realm of hobby, since I've netted no profit as a writer.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

My wife says that my hobby is hobbies. I spend a lot of time researching our geealogy. I have traced a number of lines into the 1500s. I enjoy painting and in the past did some lapidary work. I still have some gem materials that I haven't got around to yet. Right now the whistle, genealogy and my church work is about all I can handle.

BTW my wife is also a rubber stamper. I thought whistles could be expensive. There must be something called StOA.

Ron
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Reptiles and currently Leopard Geckos. My avatars have reflected that interest since I started posting them. I also have in interest (that is currently fading) in bonsai. Basically I like naturalistic type things, plants, insects, that sort of thing. Photographing them as well. I try to keep 3-4 things going so I can cycle them as interest wanes or I catch up on the hobby's tasks.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

My hobbies tend to become jobs...

I do leatherwork as a part-time business, primarily collars for sighthounds (greyhounds and such).

I also work for greyhound adoption/rescue groups, primarily by promoting adoption at renaissance faires.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I'm working toward building a working fusion reactor. I don't expect to make it a practical energy source any time soon, but I hope to be making detectable levels of neutrons in less than 20 months. Here is the web site that has been helping me get there; http://www.fusor.net/

Rod
Cai

Post by Cai »

I spend a good deal of time with a medieval re-creation group, especially with dance (I'm the dancemaster for our local group). I also have a tendancy to pick up various hobbies, try them out for a few months, then get bored, and move on to something else. In the past year or so, this has included brewing, video games, guitar, writing interactive fiction, skiing, and web design. Whistle playing also started out that way for me, but it seems to be sticking around longer than the others.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Mine are displayed under my profile. (I'm probably the only one on the board who shows them there :thumbsup: ) Now I can't remember what's there...I'd better check.

JP
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Nanohedron wrote:am at present forming an acquaintance with Nabokov.

So you have an acquaintance and gave her Nabokov to read for her education? :lol:

Now I understand what's your real hobby...
It's true: I read it on Internet.
rbm

Post by rbm »

Bees, sheep, clocks, mandolin (building and playing) building and racing old stuff (see left)

and recently dodging doctors/mothers/mother-in-laws :D
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Non music related hobbies:
Our kids, road cycling, hangliding and running.

I also spend way too many hours on CS even though it truly
ruins my flute, UP and whistle playing. Online gaming is very
addictive and 5 am is not a good time to go to bed when you
have to be at work by 8:00.
:sleep:

Cheers!

/MarcusR
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

lots of them, a little sewing, online gaming, computer animation/graphic art, competition shooting (long range rifle and defensive pistol). home brewing (mostly mead), flight simulators, RPGs, SCA (used to do light and heavy fighting but I'm focusing on my merchanting now), and flute making.