OT: Protest against the slaughter of dolphins in Japan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

OT: Protest against the slaughter of dolphins in Japan

Post by claudine »

On this photo the sea is coloured red by the blood of dolphins. If you think this picture is shocking, you might want to learn more about the massmurder of dolphins on this website.
http://www.seashepherd.org/events/protest031210.html
You can show your protest by writing an e-mail or a letter.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

The same thing happens in Iceland.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Dear Goddess... that's absolutely horrific. :cry:

Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

What do they use them for? Meat or something? :-?
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

Have you ever been inside a slaughter house or a packing house where they "prepare" food animals?

It looks ten times worse than that.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

That's absolutely sickening. The "Ministry of Fisheries" just heard from me.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Dalberon

Post by Dalberon »

What on earth do they do with the dolphins?
-Tom
Gamer - Reader - Whistler - Pluviophile
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

They eat them. (edited to make my post less caustic and confrontational :) )
Last edited by ErikT on Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dalberon

Post by Dalberon »

ErikT wrote:They eat them. I've eaten them. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but the Japanese are not a particularly agrarian society. They live off the sea. They live on an island. People on an island eat sea animals.
Although that is a lot of dead dolphins, at least they weren't raised in small electrified cages and pumped full of drugs like most of the meat we eat in the states. Unless the dolphins are endangered or sentient I do not have an issue with people eating them.
-Tom
Jack

Post by Jack »

Most people (not just people on an island) do not need to eat the flesh of animals, they do it out of pure greed and ignorance.

"I like the taste of this animal and it's part of my culture so I will kill it and eat it or go to the store and buy its parts because they taste good."

That's shameful to the human race.

Here's an awesome link with lots of ground covered. http://users.erols.com/epastore/veg/

edited to add that this post was a response to Erik's which is now gone (so I don't seem like I am talking out of my ass)
Last edited by Jack on Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalberon

Post by Dalberon »

Cranberry wrote:Most people (not just people on an island) do not need to eat the flesh of animals, they do it out of pure greed and ignorance.

"I like the taste of this animal and it's part of my culture so I will kill it and eat it or go to the store and buy its parts because they taste good."

That's shameful to the human race.

Here's an awesome link with lots of ground covered. http://users.erols.com/epastore/veg/
The eating of meat is a grey area of morality in my oppinion. For the sake of argument lets assume its an atrocity and a vegitarian diet can be healthy. Considering the current population of the planet, and the amount of arable land.....I doubt highly that it is possible for the human race to stop eating meat.
-Tom
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Cranberry wrote:That's shameful to the human race.
Well, you see, what we have here is a matter of disagreement, then. I don't think that it's greedy, ignorant or shameful to eat meat. Are you going to tell me that I'm wrong? (Though this Atkin's diet is way out of hand ;) )
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Dalberon
The eating of meat is a grey area of morality in my oppinion. For the sake of argument lets assume its an atrocity and a vegitarian diet can be healthy. Considering the current population of the planet, and the amount of arable land.....I doubt highly that it is possible for the human race to stop eating meat.
It's more than possible. When we stop breeding animals for food and clothes, the amount of land used soley as livestock-grain growing areas can be used to grow food for PEOPLE. One person can exist on much less wheat/corn/rye/oats than a cow, sheep, or pig.

Erik, I don't know why I like you so much. You're not wrong, you're just....not well informed. ;-)

I want to say before this topic gets me standing on my fingernails, that I'm not perfect. I've worn leather when I didn't have anything else (http://www.mooshoes.com) and I've eaten animals before. I think the important thing is to try your best not to live such a violent life and it pains me so much in my heart to see most people do not even try.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Actually Dalberon, currently 60% of the earth's arable land is in use for feeding livestock. If that 60% were instead devote to vegetable products there would certainly be enough to feed the world. Unfortunately, many countries would not be able to afford to import the grain because of reduced sea food exports (this is particularly true in the Asian countries). There is, I believe, a point of moderation.

I'm sorry, claudine. I seem to have hi-jacked your thread. I just wanted to interject a little opposition. I'll do my best to resist the temptation to post again. And I'm really not interested in debating here - again - the merits of Omnivorous vs. Vegetarian behavior.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled program...

p.s. It looks like we were posting at the same time, Cran... but you like me because underneath the sure, tenacious, conserative exterior is a cute and cuddly soft nuggat interior.