Sessiun Etiquette/politics/do's and don'ts

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pipey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipey »

I long for the day when I will sit in with other traditional musicians and I observe sessiuns (sp) as much as possible. Can you tell me what I can expect when the time comes? How to prepare. How not to get off to a bad start. Sessiun Manners. Basic do's and don'ts, etc. Many thanks. Regards to all.
kcdwhistler

session etiquette

Post by kcdwhistler »

The best books I have found on the subject---
Irish Taditional Music by Ciaran Carson, pg 58 - 59
Field guide to the Irish music session by Barry Foy
Everything I've ever heard about sessions is covered between these two books.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Here's a few tips, and the simple rules for the session I host here in San Diego:

1) Whatever instrument you're playing, make sure its in tune

2) Play the tunes you know, don't play the ones you don't know

3) Keep the tempo that the person who started the tune established

4) For our session, we prefer primarily reels and jigs, with an occasional polka or hornpipe.

In my session, pretty much anyone can start a set of tunes, but some sessions have a session leader who calls all the tunes. You're smart to spend some time observing. Watch how the players interact, figure out who the "alpha" players are, see how they accept beginners, etc. If you simply follow the patterns of behavior and interaction you observe, then you should have no problem.

I think Barry Foy's book is an excellent resource for learning about the complex social aspect of traditional sessions, but in my experience, sessions are as different as people. Some are rigid, some loose, some fast, some slow. Some accept modern tunes, some will ignore you if you start a set you learned from the latest Lunasa CD. Again, best bet is to observe and try and fit in... The worst thing you can do is to try and push your beliefs on "how a session should be 'cause I read it in a book/internet/newsgroup" on the other folks when you are the new kid on the block.

Best of luck!

Michael
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

It's also good form to not make your criticisms of people too sarcastic, or directed toward physical shortcomings. Try not to start fistfights either; or if you do, make it look as if the other fellow started it.

Here are some sincere bits of advice, too: http://www.talented.fsnet.co.uk/sessiondos.html
Calum

Post by Calum »

Another good tip is to lurk on session discussion boards; you can learn an awful lot from the stuff people drop as asides during their humourous anecdotes.

The only one I can think of a URL for off the top of my head is thesession.org, though there are plenty more.

Cheers,
Calum
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:It's also good form to not make your criticisms of people too sarcastic, or directed toward physical shortcomings. Try not to start fistfights either; or if you do, make it look as if the other fellow started it.
Very good advice indeed. OTOH, the last session I was at, I was seated between a piper and a bodhránaí who lost a tipper and was asking had anyone found "a wayward stick". I looked at the piper and said that I thought the only wayward stick around was his chanter. He said the obvious thing in response; all in good fun, of course. We know each other well enough to do some teasing.
Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall »

We have a quote about session ettiquetee from George Keith on our local website.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/reedman/S ... ource1.htm
Foy's book is great.
Rick
Pipey

Session etiquette

Post by Pipey »

Gentlemen, great stuff. Ordering the Barry Foy book. Checked out all the web links. Gee, now I can stay up until two in the morning. Thanks, Eskin for the neat summary and to all. Visited a session last night and the banjo guy drowned out the flute, box, bodhran, and two guitars.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Do stay at home and practice...
Don't go to sessions until you are as good as the players on the CD's you listen to. Don't trust yourself for that opinion btw.. .ask someone else.

:o

PD.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Sessiun Etiquette/politics/do's and don'ts

Don't go to sessions until you are as good as the players on the CD's you listen to. Don't trust yourself for that opinion btw.. .ask someone else.

PD.
Gee, it's a good thing I listen to so many musicians who are dead. I think I can probably play pipes better than most corpses... I could take any of them stiffs on in a session...or a fistfight.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Sessiun Etiquette/politics/do's and don'ts

PD.
Patrick, with all due respect I believe what you intend is...don't go to a session and PLAY until you have reached a certain level of proficiency. I can't see any harm in attending sessions and listening (leave the instruments home and be un-obtrusive), getting to know people, observing the etiquette, etc.

How will you know when you are ready to join in? I would guess that once one of the regulars has heard you play and invites you...that would be a good sign. :wink:
-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda