OT: JFK assassination poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which of these comes closest to your view of the possibility of a conspiracy in the JFK assassination?

Lee Harvey Oswald acted entirely alone with no backing from any other person or organization.
16%
Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman but likely had some kind of help with planning and preparation.
14%
Lee Harvey Oswald was not the lone gunman. Someone else fired shots at the scene.
18%
Lee Harvey Oswald was set up to look like the lone gunman but did not kill JFK.
29%
Lee Harvey Oswald was probably the assassin but it is unclear whether he had any backing.
24%

Total votes: 80

Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

Tom Dowling wrote:For a long time (something like 40 years, come to think of it) it was hard for me to accept that such a momentous event in our history--I remember where I was that day, as do tens of millions of others--could have been the work of one person--a person who was apparently inept or lacking in so many other major areas of his life.

Well, the man had problems, but he wasn't inept with a rifle. That's the only ineptness that really matters when asking if he could assassinate the president all by himself.

Caj
U2

Post by U2 »

It's very reasonable and rational to consider another group in this light. "Inept(ness)" in this case more logically belongs to those agencies and agents who were sworn to protect the president. The killers (LHO and Ruby), seem to have been able to do just about anything they imagined. That's true, official, ineptness. That's a level of disregard for duty that may never be duplicated. No agency or individual was ever officially held accountable for the security failings of that day.
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

U2 wrote:
The killers (LHO and Ruby), seem to have been able to do just about anything they imagined. That's true, official, ineptness. That's a level of disregard for duty that may never be duplicated. No agency or individual was ever officially held accountable for the security failings of that day.
Points well taken. To be sure, everyone's consciousness about security for and protection of government officals got ratchetted up a notch that day. In addition, it is widely acknowledged that there were groups all over the political and criminal landscape that did not wish President Kennedy well. Whether this rose to the level of 'benign neglect' by a few persons in positions to stop that train is a big unknown for me.

Tom D.
Last edited by Tom Dowling on Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

U2 wrote:It's very reasonable and rational to consider another group in this light. "Inept(ness)" in this case more logically belongs to those agencies and agents who were sworn to protect the president. The killers (LHO and Ruby), seem to have been able to do just about anything they imagined. That's true, official, ineptness. That's a level of disregard for duty that may never be duplicated. No agency or individual was ever officially held accountable for the security failings of that day.
Of course, JFK himself deserves blame for a good bit of that "ineptness." If he hadn't insisted on using that convertible instead of a sensible "hard" sedan, he probably would've lived to ninety.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I' believe he's the last president to ride an open car in a public parade... I guess in that respect at least his life had some lasting meaning, if only as a cautionary tale the secret service can point to any time some president gets the idiot idea of making the security team's job absolutely impossible.

Ask anybody in the security business, from the secret service to the bodyguards protecting hollywood's "elite" -- they'll all tell you the same things.

1) You cannot provide absolute security for anyone in a public place. If someone is determined enough, skilled enough, and has resources enough, they will kill your target.

2) It is absolutely impossible to provide even "reasonable" security for a principal who will not cooperate with you. (I.e. who insists on riding an open car through a city in a parade.)

3) At least when talking about public appearances, the lone nut is a far greater risk than an organized "conspiracy" involving several people. You will almost always have good intelligence on the conspirators but a lone nut, provided he is able to maintain a calm ordinary appearance, has a very good chance of getting the job done (though his chances of getting away afterwards are much poorer than for the well-organized team).

Consider John Hinkley, had he been a better shot Reagan would have been assasinated. Then I guess the documentary sharks would all be looking for the conspirators that backed him... :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

We'll never knowthe truth.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

OutOfBreath wrote:If he hadn't insisted on using that convertible instead of a sensible "hard" sedan, he probably would've lived to ninety.
Not yet, but soon he might've. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Walden wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:If he hadn't insisted on using that convertible instead of a sensible "hard" sedan, he probably would've lived to ninety.
Not yet, but soon he might've. :)
Well, yeah, that's what I meant :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
U2

Post by U2 »

OutOfBreath wrote:
U2 wrote:It's very reasonable and rational to consider another group in this light. "Inept(ness)" in this case more logically belongs to those agencies and agents who were sworn to protect the president. The killers (LHO and Ruby), seem to have been able to do just about anything they imagined. That's true, official, ineptness. That's a level of disregard for duty that may never be duplicated. No agency or individual was ever officially held accountable for the security failings of that day.
Of course, JFK himself deserves blame for a good bit of that "ineptness." If he hadn't insisted on using that convertible instead of a sensible "hard" sedan, he probably would've lived to ninety.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I' believe he's the last president to ride an open car in a public parade... I guess in that respect at least his life had some lasting meaning, if only as a cautionary tale the secret service can point to any time some president gets the idiot idea of making the security team's job absolutely impossible.

Ask anybody in the security business, from the secret service to the bodyguards protecting hollywood's "elite" -- they'll all tell you the same things.

1) You cannot provide absolute security for anyone in a public place. If someone is determined enough, skilled enough, and has resources enough, they will kill your target.

2) It is absolutely impossible to provide even "reasonable" security for a principal who will not cooperate with you. (I.e. who insists on riding an open car through a city in a parade.)

3) At least when talking about public appearances, the lone nut is a far greater risk than an organized "conspiracy" involving several people. You will almost always have good intelligence on the conspirators but a lone nut, provided he is able to maintain a calm ordinary appearance, has a very good chance of getting the job done (though his chances of getting away afterwards are much poorer than for the well-organized team).

Consider John Hinkley, had he been a better shot Reagan would have been assasinated. Then I guess the documentary sharks would all be looking for the conspirators that backed him... :lol:
Out,

- In 1963 there was not an armor-clad vehicle in use by the Secret Service to transport the president. The bubble top was used to protect occupants from precipitation only.
- JFK's life and service, and that of any president, has meaning far beyond the statement you offered regarding historical impact and usefullness of his life. I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it is worded.
- Standard security precautions were not followed by the Secret Service detail in Dallas to protect JFK. That's on them, not him. He didn't cause them to disregard their functions, nor did he cause many of them to stay out all night drinking. The resources of the Secret Service should not be compared to those of a body guard who protects a celebrity. Different scope of responsibility altogether.
- Malvo and his fellow sniper were conspirators. Osama is a conspirator. Apply consistent thought to them and you'll quickly see there are not rules for conspirators, not for assassins who work alone, not then, and not now.
- Since your Hinkley statement is speculative, it effectively demonstrates you consider speculation reasonable.
- I suggest the FBI did consider whether John Hinkley was part of a conspiracy although President Reagan lived? Do you believe otherwise?

There are facts in each of these cases that are a matter of record. Those facts are essential to reach an educated opinion. The documentaries are interesting, but they often represent a presentation of selective facts toward a particular end.

steve
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

U2 wrote:Out,

- In 1963 there was not an armor-clad vehicle in use by the Secret Service to transport the president. The bubble top was used to protect occupants from precipitation only.
- JFK's life and service, and that of any president, has meaning far beyond the statement you offered regarding historical impact and usefullness of his life. I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it is worded.
- Standard security precautions were not followed by the Secret Service detail in Dallas to protect JFK. That's on them, not him. He didn't cause them to disregard their functions, nor did he cause many of them to stay out all night drinking. The resources of the Secret Service should not be compared to those of a body guard who protects a celebrity. Different scope of responsibility altogether.
- Malvo and his fellow sniper were conspirators. Osama is a conspirator. Apply consistent thought to them and you'll quickly see there are not rules for conspirators, not for assassins who work alone, not then, and not now.
- Since your Hinkley statement is speculative, it effectively demonstrates you consider speculation reasonable.
- I suggest the FBI did consider whether John Hinkley was part of a conspiracy although President Reagan lived? Do you believe otherwise?

There are facts in each of these cases that are a matter of record. Those facts are essential to reach an educated opinion. The documentaries are interesting, but they often represent a presentation of selective facts toward a particular end.

steve
- A simple hard top sedan would have made Oswald's shot a heck of a lot more difficult. From the sixth floor he probably wouldn't have had any shot at all. Any shot he would have had would have been at a very oblique angle through glass, and it's almost impossible to reliably hit a target with that kind of shot. (At an oblique angle, even when the bullet penetrates glass the trajectory is seriously, and not very precictably, skewed).

- Actually, I did mean it in exactly the way it was worded. He was a great speaker, but I've never been taken in by the Kennedy family hype and I simply don't think he was all that special -- certainly not worthy of such mass hysteria even 40 years later. I really think that serving as a wakeup call to the secret service and to future presidents may very well have been the most valuable contribution of his presidency.

- I didn't see any of those secret service boys out drinking, did you? :) Even if they were, though, that proves nothing but carelessness and it certainly wouldn't be the first time that federal employees have fallen down on the job.

- As for Malvo and his buddy, I said organized conspirators. Malvo and Muhamed were clever, but I'd hardly call them organized. They were also not going after a protected target, so trying to use them to refute what I said about conspirators going after protected targets is simply silly.

- My Hinkley statement was humorous, proving only that I consider such speculation humorous.

- I'm sure that the authorities did initially consider that Hinkley might be part of a conspiracy. My point was that if Reagan had died it wouldn't matter that Hinkley was a certifiable wacko acting alone in a twisted attempt to impress an actress, because there would be money to be made by pushing conspiracy theories.
John
-------
whistlebinkie

Post by whistlebinkie »

OutOfBreath wrote: "It was forty years ago and there wasn't anything that special about him so who gives rat's, er, backside." :)
I can't express just how offensive I find this statement...
How "special" do you have to be to not deserve to be murdered?
Isn't being a human being, father to young children, a decorated vet, and the President of the USA,
"SPECIAL" ENOUGH FOR YOU???

How "special" are YOU?

(BTW, This will be the last OT thread I read or post here)
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

whistlebinkie wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote: "It was forty years ago and there wasn't anything that special about him so who gives rat's, er, backside." :)
I can't express just how offensive I find this statement...
How "special" do you have to be to not deserve to be murdered?
Isn't being a human being, father to young children, a decorated vet, and the President of the USA,
"SPECIAL" ENOUGH FOR YOU???

How "special" are YOU?

(BTW, This will be the last OT thread I read or post here)
Really? Well, we'll see -- I'll be watchiiinngggg :)

Seriously, though, I don't think anyone deserves to be murdered, do you? My point was that the near hysteria about it 40 years later is simply ridiculous. Maybe it's only because I live in the DFW area, but for the past two or three weeks you can't turn on the TV or radio without hearing about the assassination of JFK every ten minutes!

As for being a human being, father to young children, and a decorated vet -- that applies to millions of dead people and I don't see any handwringing over them. As for being president; Nixon, Carter, and Clinton (just to name a few recent examples) have proven that you don't have to be especially worthy to be president.
John
-------
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

JFK wasn't the only one involved that day.
He was loved dearly by much of the nation,
whether or not he deserved to be.
He was young and extraordinarily
charismatic, and he awakened
a great deal of hope in many hearts.
I don't know where (or if) you were then,
but it was the sort of devastating national
experience that stays alive
in one's memory. It was
unbelievable, too, not a real possibility
in our minds. Ultimately the concern is about us,
not just him. Best
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Apparently Oswald wasn't so inept with the rifle as we were lead to believe. There is documentation from when he was in the marines that he wasn't so bad a marksman. Evidently his record shows him hitting man shaped targets with a rifle at 200 yards 49 of 50 and 48 of 50 times. The motorcade at the time of JFK's passing by was only 88 yards away from where Oswald sat in the book depository.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Ailin wrote:Apparently Oswald wasn't so inept with the rifle as we were lead to believe. There is documentation from when he was in the marines that he wasn't so bad a marksman. Evidently his record shows him hitting man shaped targets with a rifle at 200 yards 49 of 50 and 48 of 50 times. The motorcade at the time of JFK's passing by was only 88 yards away from where Oswald sat in the book depository.
The number of people who think that hitting a man-sized target at 200 yards with a modern (i.e. early 20th century onward) rifle is some great feat never ceases to amaze me. That kind of shooting is routine for even casual shooters. Most hunters in the western states can hit a 10" pie plate at 300 yards or more pretty consistently using a scope -- and most of them don't shoot more than a dozen or so rounds a year, if that.

Maybe it's 'cause I grew up with guns but the crowd I ran with would laugh themselves silly if you missed a man-sized target at 200 yards with a decent rifle, even with open sights.

It's been a while since I did much rifle shooting, but as I recall "100 yard" bullseye targets are around 10" diameter at the outer ring and have a bullseye about the size of a fifty cent piece, maybe even a little smaller.

I remember during the DC sniping episode all the speculation about how the shooter must be a highly trained ex-military marksman because he was making such difficult shots -- and most of them were well under 100 yards! I remember telling my daughter then that they were the kind of shots that just about any kid could make after an hour or two at the range plinking at targets -- and guess what, that's exactly what the shooter was, an untrained kid!

I qualified with pistol (actually, .38 revolver), M-16 rifle, and 12-guage shotgun when I was in the military. I qualified expert on the pistol and rifle (there was no "marksman" qualification for the shotgun :)) without any difficulty at all. Of course, I grew up with guns. However, there were several people qualifying with me who had never handled a gun before in their lives and they qualified expert -- this after receiving about four hours classroom and live-fire training.

So, now you've been let in on the secret -- the next time some talking head on the local news channel starts speculating about how an unknown shooter must be ex-military 'cause they made a 100-yard shot you can snort knowingly :)

John
John
-------
elendil

marksmanship

Post by elendil »

the one problem i have with this discussion of marksmanship is that 1) shooting on a steep downward trajectory does take some getting used to, and 2) the target was moving, and that too takes some practice. the combination of the two would seem to make it a more difficult shot than the mere range in yards would indicate. not that i have a problem with oswald making the shot--that needn't have a bearing on any conspiracy theories, anyway.
elendil