Boosey Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
shoner
antispam: No

Boosey Pratten

Post by shoner »

I'm a bit surprised no one has posted this one yet. Should be interesting to see what it goes for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 37977&rd=1
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Nice flute but I think the starting bid may be a bit high.

As of yet there are no bids.

This will be an interesting auction to watch.

--James
kenr

Post by kenr »

James, this is a seriously good flute and merits the hype it's been given on e-bay. I would expect £2,000 to be a reasonable price (I make that about $3,300 in dollars).

A friend bought one at auction at Southeby's about 20 years ago for £600, so do the sums on inflation etc. On the other hand a girl walked into our session a month or so ago with another which she picked up in a junk shop for £40. It needed some extensive repair work but even in that state I told her to get it professionally repaired and to insure it for £2,000.

I'm not convinced Molloy played this model for his entire career but that's just me being picky with the description. He certainly used it on the Stony Steps LP - check the photo.

Ken
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Well, Molloy did start out on a Rudall and Rose: he's playing one on the first Bothy Band album. But after that he did switch to a Pratten. But it's a minor quibble.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

"with most modern expensive flutes being made from African blackwood, a very poor wood for flutemaking, according to the old makers."

really? what's wrong with blackwood?
kenr

Post by kenr »

I think the seller is inferring that cocus was the wood of choice (and Cuban cocus being the best) and cocus is hard to get these days so blackwood is used as the best current alternative. The reddish colour in the photos suggests that this is cocus. The two Booseys I mentioned above are both cocus so it's a fair bet this one is too.

Ken
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Yes, that flute does look delicious. I mean like cocus. :P

And doesn't Molloy return to his Olwell Pratten, not his Boosey Pratten? Also a minor quibble, but somewhat significant in that a cocus Olwell Pratten would cost about as much as this item's opening bid (new, and with silver metalwork).

That doesn't mean I don't covet this instrument.

It is a very nice-looking flute. It will be interesting to watch this auction, and I hope someone we know (in the sense of the C&F/woodenflute Collective) gets it and can report on it.

And only $6,000 to buy it NOW! As for the starting price . . . I for one applaud it; I quite literally abhor reserve auctions that start at $1 for items like this (with a reserve of $3,000). No flames, please, it's just philosophical. :twisted:

Stuart
kenr

Post by kenr »

Stuart,

I agree with you on the starting bid value, no point having people bid just for the sake of making it look busy. $6,000 is a lot of money for a flute, compared to the Rudall & Roses posted on e-bay recently. I stick by my earlier estimate.

Maybe the Pratten autograph could be sold on for a couple of grand!!!

Ken
andrew

Post by andrew »

It seems like a lot of money for a nickel mounted flute .I had a silver mounted Boosey Pratten one earier in the year which seemed much better .
Boosey's obviously thaught much more of their silver mounted productions than the cheaper alternative . Around $5000 is enough for a fine silver mounted Boosey or Rudall & Rose ,I think .If people think they should be more I shall have to get rid of a few.
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

The nickel keys kind of put me off a bit. Wonder what the lining aand slide are made of? And talking about antique flutes in mint condition is a bit of an overstatement for a flute that is 150 years old. the bore could be mutalated.

Pretty attractive flute for the collector...or the player with massive lungs.

Sure would love to hear it played....and you can bet Dave Migoya, owner of one of the earliest pratten's around will be checking out the price this baby goes for. I think it won't go much past $3200.

Now if it was a mint-condition Rudall.....that's one I might just go for.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

sturob wrote:And doesn't Molloy return to his Olwell Pratten, not his Boosey Pratten?
For the last couple of years, Matt has been playing an Olwell, but he resisted for years. He lent the Olwell to his daughter, who lent it to her brother, who played it in Somerville, MA when his Visa expired and he got stuck in the USA. Anyway, Matt went back to his Boosey for years because he could still fill it adequately and he loved it. I guess age caught up with him, because he finally packed it up and moved on to the Olwell.
~JessieD
glauber

Post by glauber »

Looks to be in nice condition, though you can never tell. Seems to be one of the cheaper models (nickel keys, no fancy turning). For $6000 it would probably be overpriced. Still.. go for it!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

greg
good guess! I'm watching, yes. I saw it on line a few days before the rest out there noted it.
Estimated price? I'd say $3,000 is more than fair for the nickle-key version. Question is, is it in D at 440? Hmmm.
And about that "perfect" Rudall......I got one. I'd sell, but it's the only one in "unplayed" condition I've ever found! Truly flawless (no kidding).
And a great tone. (#5350)
I think it's the last one made at 38 Southampton St., the last address for Rudall&Rose before it became Rudall,Rose & Carte.
Very pretty piece of cocus, all orange still, with deep dark grain lines. I was lucky to have found it.

I'm not looking to buy this Pratten on eBay, but I bet Dave Ogden in California is watching intently.....he collects them.

And I solved the mystery of my Hudson-Pratten....whether it's the oldest was up to speculation since there was one sold at Sotheby's in 1974. Well, I found the catalogue and it was a 600-series flute, ergo my #49 is still oldest. (Gladly!)
Iv'e not played it in a couple months. I should. Maybe this note will spur me on to it.
dave
andrew

Post by andrew »

Did Mr Molloy get his stolen Olwell flute back then ,or is he playing a replacement ? .Last time I spoke to Mrs Molloy it was still missing .
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

andrew wrote:Did Mr Molloy get his stolen Olwell flute back then ,or is he playing a replacement ? .Last time I spoke to Mrs Molloy it was still missing .
I believe Patrick Olwell replaced the flute Matt Molloy had stolen from him with another 6-key cocus flute that Patrick had been playing up until then as his own personal flute. I don't know if any money changed hands or whether or not any other favors were granted as a result of this flute exchange. But I do know that if that is indeed the flute Matt is playing now, I spent several hours playing that very flute myself one day as I lurked around Patrick's table at a festival where he had set up shop. It is without a doubt the finest example of the flute-makers craft I have ever played.

Another question about what flute Matt Molloy plays. One night last summer I had the unexpected pleasure of sitting about ten feet away from him when he showed up as a surprise guest in the second half of a Tommy Peoples pub gig I was attending. Tommy was playing in E flat that night, so Matt complied. I don't know if he did so by employing a corps de rechange on a concert-pitch flute or if he was carrying an E flat flute with him that night. Does anyone know what he plays when he's playing in E flat?