precision bore casting

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

precision bore casting

Post by elbogo »

I wonder, would this work for pipes, the chanter...

"Tai Hei Shakuhachi has developed a unique and innovative process which enables the maker to shape and size the bore to within extremely fine tolerances. Unlike traditional methods of fabrication, the precision casting technique allows for exact reproduction of bore profiles in every instrument made."

http://www.shakuhachi.com/Q-PrecisionCastBore.html
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I dither around on the shakuhachi from time to time. To say that I "play" it would be a stretch.

Shakuhachi bores are traditionally coated with a few layers of super-hard "urushi" lacquer made, I believe, from poison oak--it's apparently not easy stuff to work with. Monty's idea of replacing the traditional lacquer with his "precision cast bore" is great. He does make fantastic instruments. Certainly better, and in general cheaper, than a lot of the shakuhachis available here in Japan.

As to whether it would work with uilleann chanters...well, yeah I'm sure you could and I'm sure there would be some benefits to having a cast bore like that. But if you're going to coat the bore of a chanter with something like plastic, wouldn't it be just as well to make the entire chanter out of it?

Any of our pipemaking colleagues out there care to weigh in on this one?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I think this method would be very doable for UPs, but would add significantly to the chanter cost due to the time and materials required to craft a centre mold, the resins themselves are expensive, and as noted by Tai Hei, would still require refinement after the bore was cast. The resulting bore, however, would be pretty bulletproof. This is all assuming that an excellent design was used as the bore model to begin with, and who can agree on what that is? :wink:

djm