Perfectly OT: Languishing words

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Perfectly OT: Languishing words

Post by Bloomfield »

The pride and joy of the English language are its many many words. But what good are they, if they are not used? There are too many words that languish in disuse and sullen idleness. I say: let's take the language back and start again to use these hapless words.

So, please, list any words you would like to hear or read more frequently.

I'll start, to break the ice, with just three:

Feckless
Example: I assure you, Nanohedron is not the feckless idiot he appears. On the contrary.

Vim
Example: Incensed and agitated by Dale's words, I had just laid out my argument in detail, and with a good deal of vim, when my flow of prose was checked by the sound of his snoring.

Limpid
Example: And then, with limpid words she traced the Muse's inspiration in her post.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Blarney Pilgrim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

So many of these OT posts are nothing but flapdoodle.

Steve
I'm growing older but not up. My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck. Let the winds of time blow over my head. I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead. -J. Buffett
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ah Bloom you're such a chaffer

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
markv

Post by markv »

Quit your lollygagging you rapscallion you!

That fine pair brought to you by my dear departed grandmother Gladys, who used them nearly every time my brother and I were in her care.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
herbivore12

Re: Perfectly OT: Languishing words

Post by herbivore12 »

Bloomfield wrote:
Feckless
Example: I assure you, Nanohedron is not the feckless idiot he appears. On the contrary.
He's feckful? Or just fecked?

:wink:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

If mayhap, I were to use such a word as that first one, I might risk being misunderstood to be saying something rather obscene. The more precise effectless, of which it is a corruption, might be more communicative, methinks.
Reasonable person
Walden
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Too much male bovine feces for me!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Due to the hebetudinous nature of this post, I must abnegate participation.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I am spending toooo much time futzing and lollygabbing on this board with all you chaffers. :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I suffer from echolalia.
You suffer from echolalia?
Yes, I suffer from echolalia....
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
The Weekenders

I reckon so.

Post by The Weekenders »

Most people don't realize that my continued and committed use of the word "reckon" is not homage to Jed Clampett but rather 18th century English. Reckon did not get transformed, though, like victuals (vittles) and vermin (varmints), so the confusion is understandable.

Its a very fine word, connected somehow to Norman French, no doubt (reconnaissance) and Sax. know (proving the k was once pronounced, btw) and all those Latin cog-words, and Scots "ken" (or however they spell it). Better than "guess" because it seems to imply more pre-determination or calculation, especially in the maritime context.

It was likely in Capt. James Cook vocabulary as well as Founding Fathers. .

Also, imho, Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is the most sustained, elegant use of the English language I have encountered. I loved reading those books, sometimes speaking out loud the sentences to hear the usage. I guess it was their Enlightenment values, knowledge of Latin and Greek, that drew them to certain words. I know they favored Norman/Latin over Anglo-Saxon choices.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

What a bunch of gadflies.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: I reckon so.

Post by Walden »

The Weekenders wrote:Most people don't realize that my continued and committed use of the word "reckon" is not homage to Jed Clampett but rather 18th century English. Reckon did not get transformed, though, like victuals (vittles) and vermin (varmints), so the confusion is understandable.
Reckon is standard English.
Reasonable person
Walden
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

People don't use the word 'niggardly' very much. Tom Clancy used it three times in one novel, which was the very last book of his that I will ever read--not because of that word but because he used it THREE times. I just can't stand him anymore.

BTW--The word means cheap, miserly.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, that word caused a ruckus here in Calaforny. Some darker-complected folks thot a city councilman was defaming them in describing budgetary practices.
So its easier to just not use it.

And Walden, it may be standard English but few here use it except me.