semi on topic: Young Clare Musicians on the web

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

semi on topic: Young Clare Musicians on the web

Post by Cayden »

Netdays Ireland is a project promoting the use of the internet among school children and at the same time establish contact and understanding between different cultures.
As part of this project a number of primary schools in Co Clare is in the process of posting clips of young musicians from their schools playing traditional tunes on the web. This is part of a competition [who gets the most feedback wins a prize] but the aim is to let children and other interested parties all over the world hear what they are up to. It's fun and all support is welcome. Take some time and listen to them sing and play, there should be plenty of whistles there anyway. They would love to get feedback from other children around the world. So pass this on to your local school or let your own children contact the schools that posted their clips, there's a bunch of young Clare boys and girls keen to e-mail back.

More on www.ictclare.com

A list of the entries is at

http://www.ictclare.com/members.htm

As everybody is giving their children their 15 minutes on the board today, check out the entry for Rockmount NS and see my own young fellow play his concertina with the rest of the lads [their clips were recorded today and will be online tomorrow, thursday].
Last edited by Cayden on Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Very good! Wish I had gotten an early start like that. Thanks for posting that. I'll check in tomorrow again for Rockmount ...

In the meantime, for the Ballyvaughn NS there is a tin-whistle entry of "Green Meadows" that sounds like the tune I know as Over the Moor to Maggie. Didn't know it was called that, too.
/Bloomfield
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

It's really fascinating to read the school descriptions.

However, they'd be well-advised to post their recordings as mp3 files. I know that I won't download a 2 Meg wav file over my dialup!

-- Scott
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wow, great stuff!
srt19170 wrote:However, they'd be well-advised to post their recordings as mp3 files.
Well, let's just say that the irish are great artists but not that great when it comes to the internet :-)
rossmpfc13
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rossmpfc13 »

Azalin wrote:Wow, great stuff!
srt19170 wrote:However, they'd be well-advised to post their recordings as mp3 files.
Well, let's just say that the irish are great artists but not that great when it comes to the internet :-)
word
-Ross
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Some things are worth the time it takes on a dial up. This is one of them. 10 minutes is not to long when the payoff is pure pleasure. Its to bad you are robing youself of it. What a joy to hear these kids play. Thanks so much for the link. I will be up all night downloading and enjoying every minute.

Tom
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Azalin wrote:Wow, great stuff!
I was under the impression that expertise in information technology was playing a substantial role in driving the Irish economy. Is this not so?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I'll put this one on top again.

It struck me as odd they used Wav files but what can you do. Well, I e-mailed them suggesting they'd change it.

I also talked to the teacher at Rockmount NS just now, their clips will go up around lunchtime today, local time. The young crowd is kee nto get e-mailing with other school around the world so pass the word on to your local school.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

People (especially in Britain, where the gutter press has most of them convinced that we aim to achieve world domination by the imposition of things like mandatorily straight cucumbers) may be surprised to learn that <a href=http://europa.eu.int/comm/education/pro ... Netd@ys</a> is an initiative of the European Commission, set up by a former colleague of mine, with a view to promoting the use of information technologies as teaching and learning resources in education and culture.

The initial inspiration came from a US initiative associated with Al Gore, but we chose to place the emphasis on international cooperation on educational content rather than on recruiting volunteers to instal hardware in schools, which was the focus of the US initiative. Initially addressed to schools, vocational training centres etc. in the EU, it has become an increasingly open means of people-to-people communication with countries in neighbouring regions including the Mediterranean area, and it seems destined to have a worldwide reach, even if the project promoters have to be based in a country which qualifies for EU support.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:People (especially in Britain, where the gutter press has most of them convinced that we aim to achieve world domination by the imposition of things like mandatorily straight cucumbers) may be surprised to learn that <a href=http://europa.eu.int/comm/education/pro ... Netd@ys</a> is an initiative of the European Commission...
Actually I think the surprise might be that the EC has actually done something incredibly valuable and worthwhile for a change. More power to the children and their schools...long may such laudable practices continue, and I wish them every success.

I thought the Annagh entry using dancers to illustrate the rhythm of the music was great, really brought home the 'feel' and the purpose of the music for me.

More of that from the EC would be nice, not more of this from the 'gutter press': http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3279675.stm
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Monster

Post by Monster »

What a great program! I especially enjoyed the timber flute pieces. Unfortunately I don't know any school aged children to show the site to. But, anyway nice program. :)
insert uber smart comment here
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Ok, I may feel dumb after this (well, I suppose I already do), but I have looked all over and I can't find the downloads. The titles of the songs or tunes are in green, looking like they should be links to the recordings, but on my computer, they are not. Just words. What am I doing wrong?
~JessieD
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Jessie, I think that there aren't downloads for all the schools up yet.
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wombat wrote:I was under the impression that expertise in information technology was playing a substantial role in driving the Irish economy. Is this not so?
Hmmm I know it's OT but... IT is strong in Ireland, but not when it's related to the internet. Eircom is so SLOW to install DSL lines, and cable high-speed is only in some areas of Dublin. It's also very expensive, and I think the irish prefer to SMS text anyway :-) Also, don't forget that the internet is always slower to catch up in countries where you need to pay by the minute for phone calls, unlike america where you get fixed monthly prices.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Blackbeer wrote: Its to bad you are robbing youself of it.
I said I wouldn't download 2 Meg files over my dial-up. I just waited till the next day when I could download it at work :-)

-- Scott