Source for Whistle Tubing?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
EricW

Post by EricW »

I made my first home-made whistle this past weekend using the Fulton-Bennett instructions. Like the potato chips, I don't think I will be able to stop at just one. Can anyone recommend an on-line source for brass and aluminum tubing suitable for whistles?

Eric
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would recommend you check the Thomas Register: http://www.thomasregister.com. They're not a source, but a list of sources.

Charlie
jmssmh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmssmh »

I have used brass tubing from K&S Engineering. You can find their tubing in model/hobby stores. The standard lengths are only long enough to make a B whistle (which I did using a mouthpiece from a C whistle).

Joe
brbpab94

Post by brbpab94 »

You might try a plumbing supply outlet for contracters and an electical supply outlet they both have different types of tubing.you also might try your local machine shops some of them use tubing for different orders.
Have fun
Brian
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Here is a wonderful source for small qty's of material. Good service.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Erik
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Here's another place:

http://www.smallparts.com

I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but their catalog is a lot of fun to browse thru.

-brett
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Seeing the post about Small Parts (I didn't know they sold tubing) made me think of McMaster-Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com. Great service, good price, no minimum order, and it seems that they ship before you place the order!

Charlie
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-01-14 17:44, chas wrote:
...and it seems that they ship before you place the order!
Whistle-making meets mind-reading - whatever next!

(sorry, couldn't resist it)

Steve :wink:
joeln

Post by joeln »

I've got some aluminum tubing I'll give to anybody that wants to pay shipping. It's 5/8 inch OD by .049 inch wall thickness. I have two pieces; a 6 footer and a 31 incher. I would actually prefer cutting it to short lengths as it will be much easier to ship that way.
If you use this, will probably want to make your fipple out of some other material becase its heat treated 6061-T6 so its kind of brittle ie it can't be bent back and forth much before it breaks. - Joel
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the Overton type tubbing is the same as what you'll find in some wind chimes.

I was over at a friends house showing off my F Overton and then noticed his wind chimes. The same tubbing I tell you!!

I've seen those chimes get real big also. Plus people keep them outside where you can just go and....uh scratch that last part :smile:

Jack "you'll be seeing on the 10:00 news" Orion
Walt

Post by Walt »

What are the Fulton-Bennet instructions?
And Where?
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

You can get 7/8" OD Brass Tubing from <a href="http://www.copperandbrass.com/indexc.htm">Copper and Brass Sales, inc</a>
EricW

Post by EricW »

Hey folks, thanks for all the help. The McMaster-Carr link looks particularly good. Lots of sizes in brass and aluminum at reasonable prices. Plus, it's nice to know I have a source of tantalum tubing in case I want to make a whistle that can be played in boiling sulfuric acid.

--Eric
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-01-17 10:32, EricW wrote:
Plus, it's nice to know I have a source of tantalum tubing in case I want to make a whistle that can be played in boiling sulfuric acid.

--Eric
Not every session is quite as bad as that... :grin:
/Bloomfield
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Walt and group

You can find Kim Fulton-Bennett's pennywhistle site here(along with some other good sites)...

<a href="http://www.mimf.com/link.htm#flutes">Whistles,Recorders and Flutes</a>

If you want a "go" at conical construction,<b>Britania</b> or "lead-less pewter" comes in small sheet form that can be rolled on a wooden "manderel" and easily soldered.Half-hard Brass(Alpha Brass)comes in sheet form too.

These metals can be "tempered" by the usual heat/quench technique and have been used on organ pipes for several hundred years. It works quite well for cylindrical tubes if you can't find your "perfect" diameter with plumbing supplies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thomas-Hastay on 2002-01-17 20:17 ]</font>