recor&%#@what?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Personally, I don't care for their sound very much - to my ears, it's an effete, pretentious, overly pleased with itself kind of sound, like the Niles Crane of woodwinds.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Ha, good one Pat!

They are fine for Baroque and renaissance music, though they get annoying in their tooti-ness.

All the rest is a gag. But remember, their intonation is so different that it will be very unlikely to play them together with whistle. I learned the hard way while camping at Kings Canyon last summer. A fella who just had to join in, showed up with a recorder. It was WAY more painful on the high notes than even our West Coast whistlefest the other night. The notes just beat against each other.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

The problem with r****ders is that they sound like Susatos.
/Bloomfield
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

trisha wrote:I share air space weekly with a boxwood Mollenhauer r***r**r and it's owner. Although technically competent and, as others have said excellent for Baroque/medieval/similar, it is not a ceilidh session instrument and emotion isn't projected either it seems. Sadly, it's owner has a fear of whistle fingerings...
:-? :-? :-?

What's hard about "add a finger to go down the scale, lift one to go up?"

The only real problem I have is going the other way - it only takes me the time to play a scale or two to adjust to the recorder. But if I've been playing recorder a lot it might take me - oh, a minute or two - to adjust back. At most.

Anyway, except for F#, (and one variant of C#), the first octave on a D whistle is identical to the first octave in D major on a C whistle. And the differences on the second octave are . . . that on the whistle it's fingered identically to first.

And the whistle's most commonly used Cnat is a forked fingering very similar to the recorder's.

This all sounds much more complicated when written then it is when I'm playing.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Bloomfield wrote:The problem with r****ders is that they sound like Susatos.
Then there's no truth to the rumor that you're planning on giving away your collection of Overtons and buying a full range of Susatos? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Ducks and runs)
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Pat Cannady wrote:Personally, I don't care for their sound very much - to my ears, it's an effete, pretentious, overly pleased with itself kind of sound, like the Niles Crane of woodwinds.
I wish Emma Christain had an album of just her recorder playing. I've never heard anything so beautifully haunting as her rendition of "O Kirree, Thou Wilt Leave Me." It probably has to do with the fact she plays the recorder like a whistle or flute.
I've been wanting a recorder, but don't seem to get around to buying one. I have too many hobbies as it is.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
glauber

Post by glauber »

mamakash wrote:It probably has to do with the fact she plays the recorder like a whistle or flute.
She blows air into it while using her fingers to modulate the notes? :D

Recorder is nice, but as you said, too many hobbies already. I've picked up a couple (right now i have a Plastic Yamaha tenor), but i'm not willing to invest the time and effort to play it right. There are only 24 hours in a day. Recorder is easy to play but hard to play well.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

DCrom wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:The problem with r****ders is that they sound like Susatos.
Then there's no truth to the rumor that you're planning on giving away your collection of Overtons and buying a full range of Susatos? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Ducks and runs)
Collection of Overtons? I only have four or five. I'll tell you when I have a collection. :)
/Bloomfield
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

glauber wrote:She blows air into it while using her fingers to modulate the notes? :D
I'm not exactly sure of her style of playing, but the album "Celtic Voices" referred to her playing "in the ornamented style of a wooden flute", which means(I think) that she cuts and rolls through the song as a tin whistle player would. At least, that's what it sounds like. I don't care much for the renissance style of playing, which is what I hear from most recorders.

Of course, I know you're teasing me . . . I wasn't too specific with what I said in the aforementioned, me bad. :oops:
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Best reason to play the recorder? BASS recorders! Pitched in F, two notes lower than a Bass A whistle, with a soft, ghostly sound. Cool instrument, if you can handle the size and breath control... :) Not to mention the Great Bass, a fourth lower in C, and on to Contrabass and subcontrabass recorders. Way cool!
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
emmline

Post by emmline »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:Somebody the other day asked me if it was a clarinet....to me that's even worse than a RECORDER!!

R.
Please, no dissing of clarinets! My oldest daughter is section leader of the world-famous...well, maybe town-famous Severna Park Falcons Marching Band, and plays a mean clarinet. Plus, with her clarinet expertise, she could finger my Ovie low D better sooner than I could with Clark & Generation pennywhistle experience.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

:lol:

My clarinet aversion was evolved from years of sitting behind the clarinet section through Jr. high and High school, and further refined by attempting to play it in the high school musical pit band.......*shiver*

I have no doubt that any good clarinet player would find the whistle to be simplicity itself (which it is, being a tube with holes!)....anyone who can put up with the sheer physical and emotional pain of learning to play the clarinet well is by definition made of sterner stuff!!!
:lol:

Robin
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Robin, the clarinet isn't that bad.

What made ME give up woodwinds (after playing saxophone and a little clarinet) was the oboe.

The fiddle may be the devil's instrument - but I'm convinced that if he played woodwinds he'd pick the oboe. (I like the way oboe sounds - it's the way it PLAYS that drove me - and my abused lips - away)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Oboe was my first instrument love. :devil: demon instrument that it is- In order to get to play it, my band director-this was many moons ago- required me to learn clarinet for some concert pieces and marching.
I ended up being a decent clarinet player and compared to whistle I think clarinet is much easier... hey oboe ain't that bad- once you develop the embrachoure.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
TXwhistle
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

Post by TXwhistle »

cowtime wrote:Oboe was my first instrument love.
Me, too. (After piano, that is.) I hated, hated, hated playing flute, so my band director handed me an oboe. After weeks of screeching and complaints from the neighbors, I finally got it. And I played for seven years. I was, however, forced to march with a flute. My director told me if I could figure out a way to march with the oboe I was welcome to it. I couldn't. I cut my lip.

Sorry--off topic.