How do you remember which tunes you know?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How do you remember which tunes you know?

Post by skh »

I didn't take any written music with me on my 2-week trip, no ABC, no dots, not even a list of tunes I know, because I wanted to force myself a little bit to practice what I already knew instead of learning new stuff. Here at home I have a small notebook where I put down the names of the tunes I'm playing at the moment.

Now I don't have huge amounts of tunes in my head (definitely less than 100 ;-)), but I already notice that I need the list of titles to remember which ones I know. Remembering how they go is much easier.

How do you remember your tunes?

Sonja
Shut up and play.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I keep an excel list with the name, type of tune, and the first two bars in pseudo-ABC format.
DCrom

Re: How do you remember which tunes you know?

Post by DCrom »

skh wrote:I didn't take any written music with me on my 2-week trip, no ABC, no dots, not even a list of tunes I know, because I wanted to force myself a little bit to practice what I already knew instead of learning new stuff. Here at home I have a small notebook where I put down the names of the tunes I'm playing at the moment.

Now I don't have huge amounts of tunes in my head (definitely less than 100 ;-)), but I already notice that I need the list of titles to remember which ones I know. Remembering how they go is much easier.

How do you remember your tunes?

Sonja
Sometimes, I visualize the book I learned it from - really! Somehow, knowing what other tunes I was learning at about the same time helps me keep them in order. I've lost count of how many I keep in my head - more than 50 for certain - ?60? at a guess - but I already have to stop and think about them to pull out the right one. (But hum the first measure or so and I'll pick it up automatically).

What's really frustrating is forgetting the opening of a tune I *know* or confusing it with a similar one - then I may have to go back to the sheet music to verify it. Had a problem yesterday with "Rufty Tufty" and "The Helston Furry" - once I'd played the first measure of each correctly I had no problem - but the first measures of each start out the same and I kept finding myself playing "Furry" when I wanted the other.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I think of a player, and the tunes I've learned from them, thus not neglecting any tunes. I used to have a sheet with all the tune titles written out. Useful if you can remember all those tunes/titles. I've also run into the playing the other tune in the middle problem.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I was at a gig one time and a whistle tune I have been playing for years (some St. Steven's day march) just wouldn't come out. I am supposed to start the tune and everyone joins in the second turn. A different tune started every time I tried. That was really embarrassing.

I have a tune I like on the pipes, The Little Black Pig, that no one will play with me because it sounds like another tune they know and they can't help but play the one they know when they try.

Some tunes are like that now.

I can't remember tune names much any more, but if someone will diddle the first bar, I can play it (if I know it, of course). Tunes and faces stick, names just fall off now....
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

I hope to have this problem someday!
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I keep a list of the tunes I've been given in lessons. Name (when I find it), first 2 bars in abc, and the first 2 bars of the turn in abc also. But tell you the truth its only good for practicing. Once in a while at home I can go look up a tune that I have the title for but forgot how it goes. In real life, I remember the tune if it comes to me out of the blue, and that's it. I never bring my lesson list outside of lessons, cos its too unwieldy and there's no time for that in a session anyway.

For gigs I would keep the tunes (that were supposed to be played) on the setlist with the first 2 bars in abc. This I started to do after a similar situation of having the next tune go completely out of my mind when I was supposed to start it. (eck, as my cat would say.)
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Father Emmet wrote:I hope to have this problem someday!
:lol: me too!(but not in the near future)
i keep a list of the names of the tunes i know.
i keep the mp3 of every tune on the computer.
to remember how they're played, i do rehearsels every now and again.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: How do you remember which tunes you know?

Post by colomon »

skh wrote:How do you remember your tunes?
Simple: I don't.

Once you get by knowing a certain number of them, it's just not practical to "have an index" into the tunes you know. Especially if you have been learning tunes by ear, lots of times you won't have a handy name for the tune from the start, or you learned the tune by accident, or...
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I can remember the names of some tunes easily, because I heard them then found out what they were called, then learned to play them.

But because I tend to read straight through tune books, I have a familiarity with a lot of tunes, but can't give a name to many of them from just hearing them played.

I wish I was industrious enough to actually make a list of the names of the tunes I know. Who knows? Maybe I'll do just that someday when I'm feeling more on the ball....

Since any one tune can have several names, it does seem a little more direct to just say, "The one that goes like...with the part that goes....." (Can you imagine writing out a set list like that? "The first one is diddly dum di dum da diddly. Then we'll break into diddle dum diddle diddle, and finish with bumba diddly bumba bumba diddly... :lol: )
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I keep a list of sets too, with the titles. I think sometimes it's good to look at the list and practice the tunes/sets you havent played for a while, to make sure it's fresh in memory. Also, a good exercise would be to try to make up sets on the fly, as someone who can play sets he's creating on the fly is much more impressive, less predictible and less boring, anyway from my point of view.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I must admit that I'm not terribly organized in that way. Normally I just sit down to play, and whatever comes out is what I play. Wouldn't go very well in a session, though!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I can't remember for beans. My teacher says to play Buck on the Mountain and I have to ask how it starts. Or, "Can I just peek at the music for a sec?"
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

One method of remembering is to not learn any tunes.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have absolutely no problem with not remembering the names of the tunes I know. I think I probably know about 15 by name, but the rest (I'm guessing I know just under 50 - I'm still a serious newbie here) I call "the first few bars go like this". No one has ever complained, and I know several other folks who use this same method and it doesn't bother me when they do it, too.

Eric