Cheiftain 'Gold' soprano D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cheiftain 'Gold' soprano D

Post by Father Emmet »

Just acquired a Cheiftain Gold a few days ago, and I have a few questions. It is a large bore (3/4") heavy whistle. Finish has a few nicks in it, and the inside of the tube was coated in brass filings, cleaned up easily, but is this normal?
Also, when cold, the low B (first hole) is noticably flat (?) and comes into tune by rolling back the fingertip, half holing the first hole a bit. Tone improves greatly when the whistle is warmed up, is this normal?
Other than that it plays beautifully with a loud clear tone, although the 2nd octave really requires a lot of breath. Anyone have any similar experience with this whistle? All in all I am quite happy with it.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Most solid metal whistles are flat when cold. The metal expands when warmed up and makers take this into accound when tuning the whistle. You should always warm it up before playing.

About the filings, I am not suprised. Remember these are (were) made in a mashine shop to Phil's specifications.
/Bloomfield
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yeah, all that is normal for a Chieftain.
~JessieD
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Thanks guys, as my first non-cheapie I didn't know what to expect or what is normal or what is a lemon. I like this whistle, plastic fipples just aren't going to do it for me anymore.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Well, Chieftains are very tasty on hot summer days when mixed with water and sugar.
~JessieD
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Chieftains are at the bottom of the heap when it comes to the high end whistles. You'd be much better off with a Burke, Overton, Water W, or Silkstone. Live and learn.
Paul

Post by Paul »

or an Alba.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

JessieK wrote:Well, Chieftains are very tasty on hot summer days when mixed with water and sugar.
Hey, you forgot the Jack Daniels!
You just can't have lemonade without a bit of whiskey in the mix! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

I just got 14 cheiftain golds in D and so none of them had nicks or filings in them, where did you buy yours from?
glauber

Post by glauber »

Chieftains? These must be the whistles Paddy Molloney plays?

(runs for cover)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

illuminatus99 wrote:I just got 14 cheiftain golds in D and so none of them had nicks or filings in them, where did you buy yours from?
You're a lucky man.
/Bloomfield
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

out of the 70+ cheiftains I got none of them had filings or nicks, a couple were a little tarnished but not too bad.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I just meant you got, like, 77 of the things. Like you can sleep on a bed of Chieftain Golds. Lucky devil, you.
/Bloomfield
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

Bloomfield wrote:I just meant you got, like, 77 of the things. Like you can sleep on a bed of Chieftain Golds. Lucky devil, you.
Probably could, although my back would never forgive me

Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

illuminatus99 wrote:I just got 14 cheiftain golds in D and so none of them had nicks or filings in them, where did you buy yours from?
I got it from the Whistleshop. I ordered a regular Cheiftain D, but they were out of stock, and Thom was nice enough to let me have the Gold for the same price instead.
I am very happy with it, it plays beautifuly. I was cocerned with the tuning at first, but Bloomfield clued me in to the fact that metal whistles need to be warmed up first, and that did the trick.
I am not concerned with the finishing (there are no sharp edges or anything), and the inside cleaned up easily. I guess whoever does the final finishing at the "mashine" shop was asleep at the wheel that day. :lol:
Illuminatus- Have you decided on pricing for your cache yet? I assume they will be for sale and not just used for bedding! :D