Advice needed on stop key

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Advice needed on stop key

Post by Baen »

Just curious about what pipers think about the necessity of getting a stop key added to a chanter, in order to be able to shut off the air supply for the chanter when fine tuning drones and/or regulators. They cost several hundred more to add to an order, but if they'll make things more manageable, then I don't mind spending the extra.

I'm in my forties, and just starting out. Having little things to help out might be a good idea, although the maker said that some pipers swear by stop keys while others have no use for them. It may be a while before I add drones and regulators, but I'm just trying to think ahead.

thanks for any input,
Baen
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I have one on my chanter, although I have it taped shut at the moment as it was starting to leak--must get Cillian to fix that up for me next time I'm in his neck of the woods. I miss it but it's certainly no problem living without it. When tuning up, I usually just remove the chanter and plug the stock. So no, they're by no means necessary. Then again, if you don't mind spending a bit more, then go for it. It's a convenient little extra and it looks kinda cool too.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Ye don't need it, sqeeze the neck o the bag+ the key can add unnecessary weight to the chanter head which in turn can add strain to yer top hand,a lot o people do not stop and consider the dynamics of the set ,that includes pipemakers,and go more for the looks rather than the functionality or playability of the instrument.
Slan go foill
Liam :party:
Rick

Post by Rick »

I agree with Uilliam.., you don't NEED a stopkey.
I have a fullset and no stopkey, i just throttle the neck of the bag when i tune my drones.

However.., i have just been to a Lunasa concert and if you want to switch on the drones, play some notes on the regs, have the fiddle kick in and then kick in yerself.., yes.., then you need a stopkey! :D
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Rick is that what ye did at the Lunasa Concert??Did they mind?
Liam :wink:
Rick

Post by Rick »

I dunno if they minded, i wasn't paying attention to them at that time.. ;)

Obviously Cillian did that.. :roll: :P :D
Best concert i have seen in years, nice guys, etc..
Go see them if you can! :)
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

A cork plugged into the chanter stock does the job for me.

It also frees another hand up so I can use both hand to adjust the drone tuning as I have them pretty tight so they don't move accidentally.
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Stop keys can be very useful when setting up drones and regulators but would have no benefit on a practice set other than you would be buying at today's price.

They can add quite a bit of weight especially if the chanter has a metal headpiece. It is also one more thing to go wrong !

My preference is to use a wooden top with a key made from 3mm thick brass or nickel silver which does not add a lot of weight - type 'E' in the posted diagrams. The key is arranged for operation by the thumb and is shorter than one on the front for the top hand index finger.

If possible visit your maker, pipers club, Tional and if possible try a set with both types.

Chris
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Stop keys can be very useful when setting up drones and regulators but would have no benefit on a practice set other than you would be buying at today's price.

They can add quite a bit of weight especially if the chanter has a metal headpiece.

My preference is to use a wooden top with a key made from 3mm thick brass or nickel silver which does not add a lot of weight. The key is arranged for operation by the thumb and is shorter than one on the front for the top hand index finger.

If possible visit your maker, pipers club, Tional and if possible try a set with both a stop key and without.

Chris
djm

Post by djm »

I have to agree with all of the above, i.e. it isn't necessary, but nice to have. The mechanism used internal to the reed cap can also be an obstacle to be careful of when inserting the reed-end of the chanter into it. I might use mine once a week to retune the drones, but it is nice to have when needed.

If you are just getting a practice chanter there is no use or justification for a stop key. When you finally decide to go to a more complete set, you will also be deciding what other keys you want added beyond a practic chanter. That would be the time to think of adding a stop key, IMHO.

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

djm wrote:The mechanism used internal to the reed cap can also be an obstacle to be careful of when inserting the reed-end of the chanter into it.
Maybe if you put a big zampogna reed in there by mistake. Or if you went to a really confused pipemaker. There's plenty of clearance in there.
I've always played tops with keys and never had any discomfort from the added weight.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Big zampogna
from this website:
http://www.hotpipes.com/ted.html
djm

Post by djm »

Thus spake Hier Right-meister. :lol:

I have never noticed any difficulty with weight from a stop key in the reed cap, but I have occasionally heard the reed scrape against the mechanism in some caps when the cap is being put back on. Turning the reed to be parallel to the front to the chanter avoided this.

djm
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Hey, Ted, my wife wants to know whether you can decorate cakes with that thing as well!? That zampogna? Well, it was a great question... Excellent photo by the way, love it. Obviously one does not sit when playing those things...
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I agree with Kevin, unless you're running something really different there should be plenty of clearance space above the reed.