6 keyed whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

6 keyed whistle

Post by Jack »

I used the head from the A Susato I won from Beth on a keyed piccolo body and this is what it looks like.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

And have you played it? How does it sound? Looks good, at any rate.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

JessieK posted something like that awhile back. I think the title was, "Whiccolo or Pistle?"

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jack

Post by Jack »

I believe JessieD's was a boehm piccolo body, this one is some old German granola wood eBay find.

Yes, Nano, I've played it. Unfortunately, I did 2 of the pads myself so it's leaky, and my fingers are kind of clumsy with all those keys. I think it's out of tune, but I'm not sure because it squawks alot.
serpent

Post by serpent »

Cranberry wrote:I believe JessieD's was a boehm piccolo body, this one is some old German granola wood eBay find.

Yes, Nano, I've played it. Unfortunately, I did 2 of the pads myself so it's leaky, and my fingers are kind of clumsy with all those keys. I think it's out of tune, but I'm not sure because it squawks alot.
Cran, it's easy to re-seat the pads if you installed them with the proper stuff. Just gently warm the metal behind the pad with an alcohol lamp, and when it loosens, let it seat on the instrument, then add just a tiny bit of pressure to align it.
Cheers, :D
serp
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Cool! Yeah, the tuning usually gets weird when you combine instruments.
~JessieD
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: 6 keyed whistle

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:(imagine Cran's whiccolo/pistle photo here)
Wonky tuning might be due to the distance of the ramp's blade from the uppermost tonehole, I'm thinking. I think that a piccolo's embouchure hole would be closer (referring to mental images of standard simple-system flutes). Don't know the ratios, but maybe the Fute-O-Mat thingy, which I haven't checked out, would be of some help here.

And I wager that the tweaks will continue. :wink:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mabey sometime down the road I'll (try to) make a PVC whistle head that fits it properly, but for now it'll just have to be squawky and out of tune. :P

The Susato still plays fine with the Sustato head. Go figure. :)
Zubivka

Re: 6 keyed whistle

Post by Zubivka »

Nanohedron wrote: Wonky tuning might be due to the distance of the ramp's blade from the uppermost tonehole, I'm thinking. I think that a piccolo's embouchure hole would be closer (referring to mental images of standard simple-system flutes). Don't know the ratios, but maybe the Fute-O-Mat thingy, which I haven't checked out, would be of some help here.
I have an old 4-key piccolo in D, I suspect German-made, which came as a set with its flageolet (= whistle) head. Though the B-flat key is unconvenient in vertical position (it's for a fifer's thumb position), the materials used, and resp. conditions seem to indicate it was made as a set from the start, and by the same unknown maker.

The flute hole center is at the same distance to the body than the whistle blade edge.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I acctually found a real 6-keyed whistle at the local music store. I think at least it was the real thing cause the head looked very original. The body looks almost exactly the same as cranberrys but it has a head of the same type of wood, and a flute-style tuningslide. Because wood darkens with age and the head and body has the same colour I belive that they are of the same age, wich is very old. I think it's made of cocus and it play's nice, in tune with itself. I haven't checked it on a tuner tough, and furthermore it still belongs to the store. It's not really for sale, but the owner of the store said that he would think about selling it. If I get it, I'll try to post a few pic's of it later.

Cheers
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Cranberry,

You need a headjoint that matches the diameter of the bore near the point where it couples.

I'm building a prototype of a 5-key chromatic high-d, three key-mounts finished - two to go.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

A few months ago, I had this cheap Piccolo from Pakistan or India via Ebay and I decided to make whistle mouthpiece for it.

Well it's done, it turned out well. In fact it functions as a high-D. I corrected a few tuning problems.
In fact, it functions better as whistle than it did as a piccolo. I did change the the threaded tenon to cork also to improve on it. Strange, it was horrible as flute but it turned out to be a good whistle.

It required an additional piece of telescoping tubing placed inside the headjoint to get the octaves to line up properly. The tuning was really strange until I did that.

So it was $30 + nearly $15 for shipping. A few dollars worth of brass and delrin and I now have a Chromatic High-D whistle.

I haven't finished the one I'm building from scratch yet. Too many things going on.

The body looks similar to the one Cranberry was working on.

Does anyone want measurements for the mouthpiece?
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D