Book Review: 101 Myths of the Bible

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Quote @ jim stone
Anybody here know Greek and Hebrew?

I wouldn't be surprised if claudine does. ;-)
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

jim stone wrote:P.S. Surely we are in over our heads.... Anybody here know Greek and Hebrew?
I used to know koiné Greek fairly well (enough to read the Gospel of St. John without the aid of a dictionary) and a little Hebrew, but it has all pretty much evaporated.

By the way, the translators of the King James version did an excellent job with the texts which were available at the time.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There's a Lutheran seminary next door to me, it's
beautiful there, and I keep thinking that I ought to enroll
and study the Bible. I once knew a little Hebrew,
my wife knew a little Greek. But real Biblical scholarship?
Well, perhaps next life, along with skydiving and Latin.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I think it's important to try to understand what a myth really is.

Although the story on which a myth is based may not be strictly factual, the nature of myth is that it embodies truth in a way that speaks powerfully to large numbers of people.

Best wishes,
Jerry
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I think it's important to try to understand what a myth really is.

Although the story on which a myth is based may not be strictly factual, the nature of myth is that it embodies truth in a way that speaks powerfully to large numbers of people.

Best wishes,
Jerry
That is what Jesus called a parable. A story, from life's experiences, that illustrates the lesson or belief that is to be taught. Usually told such that those that were open to learning were able to "get it."
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
lddulcimer

Post by lddulcimer »

The mention on Samuel Langhorne "Mark Twain" Clemens reminded me of a quote of his that seems appropriate in relation to the author of this book:

"An expert is nothing but a damned fool a long way from home. "

There have been a horde of these books over the past 20 years - none of them have stood up to serious critical examination. In fact, the truth is that many of the places and events in the Old Testament have been verified through secular archaeology.

As long as bookstores can make a buck, they will publish anybody with any idea they think will sell. In the end, everyone believes what they choose to believe anyway, regardless of the facts......
Peace.
Larry
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I initially found it dismaying to see yet another stab at my Christian faith on this board....- then, on the bright side...it's already been prophesied.... it's just another sign that we're another day closer to HIS return. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

lddulcimer wrote:There have been a horde of these books over the past 20 years - none of them have stood up to serious critical examination.
Longer than that.
Reasonable person
Walden
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Walden, thanks for that image, and the great Twain quote. I live near his birthplace and childhood home, and his wit and wisdom are so very underappreciated in this neck of the woods.

Where did you get that wonderful graphic??
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

RonKiley wrote:There is nothing so convincing as a body of evidence that supports what one wants to believe.
Now, ain't that the truth? :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

lddulcimer wrote:In fact, the truth is that many of the places and events in the Old Testament have been verified through secular archaeology.
It depends on who is doing the verifying and which findings of secular archaeology are cited (and possibly distorted) and which are conveniently ignored.
It's a waste of time worrying about stuff like this. It has nothing to do with the truth of Christianity or the legitimacy of one's faith.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Some people only read books and listen to things that build faith and confidence in what they want to believe...kind of a self-brainwashing. I've always been one who wanted to know if what I believe is really true. And so I read things that are contrary to my beliefs, and without fear.

BTW, this new paperback book is marked $14.95 on the cover, but was listed for $13.46 at Hastings book store. I don't know yet if I buy anything this book says, I'll let you know later, I only bought the book. I see places on the Net that have used copies of the book for way less.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

anniemcu wrote:Where did you get that wonderful graphic??
I got it from http://www.twainquotes.com
Reasonable person
Walden
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Between lectures and concertina, guitar and whistle practice, I've managed to fit in a bit of anthropological research, all the more remarkable when you learn that I am a complete amateur, and I've just confirmed what I have long suspected. Gulliver's Travels is full of lies. I'm serious folks. Most of it is bull and the rest is grossly exaggerated.

I intend to publish my findings in a new paperback with the catchy title, '101 Errors in Gullivers Travels.' The harder I looked, the more convinced I became that Jonathan Swift is a complete charlatan. A lot of his claims were ..er ... complete bull. To begin, there never was a Gulliver. Well, if there was a Gulliver, he certainly wasn't a surgeon. Well, not a ship's surgeon anyway. Well he certainly wasn't shipwrecked. And there is no evidence whatsoever that Lilliput ever existed. I could go on ... and on ... and on ... and on. But if you want more you'll have to buy my paperback.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

While I was looking on Amazon.com for advance ordering instructions for Wombat's upcoming release, I came across this gem:

101 Beatles Myths Debunked

Jef