Oiling the blade?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Oiling the blade?

Post by chas »

Does anyone have strong opinions on whether or not to oil the blades of wooden whistles? I've read, possibly from Paul Busman, that oiling may soften the blade. OTOH, I've also read that any exposed grain ends (ends of pieces, embouchure holes of flutes), of which there are some in the blade, need to be oiled. Also, I would think the blade would be exposed to an awful lot of moisture, so it would need more water-resistance than other parts of the whistle.

TIA
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Mollenhauer, the German recorder maker (any wood from boxwood and fruitwoods to the hardest/oiliest like various rosewoods) recommends oiling of the blade, using a soft brush so as not to blunt it.

Moeck, its competitor, suggests the same.

Michael Grinter ditto, now he may be influenced that's he's a recorder maker, before whistles ;)
Yvon Le Coant, a Breton bombardes/chanters/flutes/whistles maker seconds Grinter in suggesting to oil the whistle throughout (even the block, once a long while). They seem alone on this latter advice.

Note that Mollenhauer favors linseed (flaxseed) oil as a base, while this oil is known to harden fast, esp. under sunlight. Most others seem to go for the slower drying (and less smelly) almond oil.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Zub's summarised the essentials in as much detail as would be obviously helpful. I'd just add the following: since here is a difference of opinion from maker to maker, I follow the advice of the maker of the whistle I'm treating. Each maker will have prepared the wood before it gets to you according to their own view of what is best for it and I would not want to deviate from their instructions lest I undo a process set in train.

Even if one maker has a better approach than another, it doesn't follow that you should switch your approach to go along with what you regard as best. It is foolish to switch horses in mid stream, even if the horse you are switching to is clearly better than the one you arrived on.
brewerpaul

Re: Oiling the blade?

Post by brewerpaul »

chas wrote:Does anyone have strong opinions on whether or not to oil the blades of wooden whistles? I've read, possibly from Paul Busman, that oiling may soften the blade. TIA
Wasn't me!! I usually oil the blades on my whistles, but I don't overdo it. On some of the relatively soft woods, I coat them with a thin coat of Cyanoacrylate glue ( crazy glue) which strengthens and waterproofs them.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas

Post by chas »

Thanks, Paul -- I've been oiling the blade of your whistle. Since you advise pretty much the same treatment as Glenn, it was almost certainly Phil Bleazey or Jon Swayne that gave me the warning.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Oiling the blade?

Post by Sunnywindo »

brewerpaul wrote:
chas wrote:Does anyone have strong opinions on whether or not to oil the blades of wooden whistles? I've read, possibly from Paul Busman, that oiling may soften the blade. TIA
Wasn't me!! I usually oil the blades on my whistles, but I don't overdo it. On some of the relatively soft woods, I coat them with a thin coat of Cyanoacrylate glue ( crazy glue) which strengthens and waterproofs them.
Okay. So I'm not the only one out there who was under the impression that somewhere Paul said something about not oiling the blade. Or so I thought. Yet it appears I got him mixed up with someone else. But if other people are having the same mix up, and Paul never said such a thing, then who said it and how did it get connected to Paul?

Ah... the mystery of confusion.... :boggle:

:) Sara (who has carefully oiled the blade of her whistle occasionally anyway as it didn't seem like a little would hurt and even seemed like it would be a good thing if oil was good for the rest of the whistle)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-