Barbaric languages

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Barbaric languages

Post by glauber »

How do you say whistle in non-English languages?

My native language is Portuguese, and i have no idea. Assovio, maybe?

I know in Irish it's Feadog Stain.

Any other languages? I'd really like to know if there is an "official" word for whistle in Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French or any of the other Romance languages.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

If I've translated correctly, "whistle" in Welsh is chwibanogl...

~Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

in ooold mexico they'd say "el silbato"
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The Italian for whistle is fischio (fis-key-o). This is the term used for what you do to call a dog, the sound a train makes, etc. But I think that if an Italian was to play tinwhistle he would call it "wee-stell". :lol:
Mike
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Barbaric? :really:

My dictionaries say:

Spanish: silbato or pito, both masculine nouns

French: sifflet, masculine noun

German: flöte, pfeife, both feminine nouns

Russian: cbeectók, masculine, where "ee" represents the letter that looks like a backwards capital N. Pronounced roughly "sveestohk"

Somewhat understandably, my American Sign Language dictionary doesn't mention it. But I'm sure there's a sign for it.

By the way, the "stáin" part of the Irish term actually means tin. Even though the word for tin is normally stán. It gets adapted because it's coming after a noun. So feadóg on its own would be whistle in Irish.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

My native language is French and I have no clue (does that surprise anyone? :D ). I'm sure Zoob can help. How about "Le Ouissel"?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Japanese: kuchibue (pron. ku-chi-bu-eh). Suzubue (su-dzu-bu-eh) could mean "tinwhistle" literally, but on searching around, all I could find was a reference to a racehorse with that name, and no translation of it.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

avanutria wrote:Barbaric? :really:

My dictionaries say:

Spanish: silbato or pito, both masculine nouns

French: sifflet, masculine noun

German: flöte, pfeife, both feminine nouns

Russian: cbeectók, masculine, where "ee" represents the letter that looks like a backwards capital N. Pronounced roughly "sveestohk"

Somewhat understandably, my American Sign Language dictionary doesn't mention it. But I'm sure there's a sign for it.

By the way, the "stáin" part of the Irish term actually means tin. Even though the word for tin is normally stán. It gets adapted because it's coming after a noun. So feadóg on its own would be whistle in Irish.
Ava,
As far as the French is concerned, "sifflet" would only refer to those noisy things used by sports coaches and referees.
PT.
glauber

Post by glauber »

avanutria wrote:Barbaric? :really:
Well, that's what they call stuff that's outside the Empire. It's not always a bad thing these days. :)
avanutria wrote: My dictionaries say:
The problem with dictionaries is you don't know if this is the word really used. Especially since the English word whistle has several meanings. For example, read on...
avanutria wrote: Spanish: silbato or pito, both masculine nouns
Well, in Portuguese (the closest language to Spanish), apito is a whistle, but more in the sense of a policeman's (or referee's) whistle. Silvo is an archaic word for making a whistling noise with your lips, probably good for the policeman's whistle too. Assovio is also for when you use your lips to whistle. I don't think there's a word for the musical instrument. Flauta is flute and flauta doce is a rec*rder.

In Slovak, by the way, it's pistalka (soft t, accent on first sillable). They're lucky, because they have their own whistles, so there's a word.
avanutria wrote: Somewhat understandably, my American Sign Language disctionary doesn't mention it. But I'm sure there's a sign for it.
The universal sign for loud whistles is covering both your ears with your hands.

g
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

avanutria wrote:Yes, that's why I specified that my source was a dictionary.
That's fine. I'm hoping other barbarians will chip in. The folks from Portugal are much better for creating their own words than we Brazilians. We just use the foreign word.

No fair, removing your post while i was replying to it! :)
--Wellsprings--
skh

Post by skh »

German: "Tin Whistle" or "Pennywhistle", maybe "Flageolet". "Bleistiftfloete" is only used by clueless ebay sellers. "Floete" is the generic term, but I'd rather expect a silver flute or (clueless people again) a recorder called that.

Edited to add: the referee whistle is a "Trillerpfeife" and a fife might in certain areas be called "Querpfeife" instead of the more common "Querfloete".

Sonja
Shut up and play.
skh

Post by skh »

If I recall correctly, by the way, a barbarian is any person not speaking ancient greek. (greek for flute is - erm - aulos? I'm not sure they had end-blown fipple thingies.)

Sonja
Shut up and play.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

How about "Blechflöte" or "Blechpfeife"? Certainly "Bleistiftflöte" doesn't make any sense, but it may prove the power of imagination that some people can have. (Bleistift = pencil)
I met a french guy at an irish music workshop, he said he was in the beginners' flute class. I was a bit surprised as there was only one flute class which I attended, and I hadn't seen him there. Finally I understood that he was just discovering the tinwhistle there, and hadn't noticed that whistles are different from flutes.
There are probably no specific words in the languages of countries where the tinwhistle did not exist. So people use either a literal translation or the english designation.
Nevertheless we could create a french word, how about "crayfflet" (crayon-sifflet). Sounds interesting to me, kind of folky ...
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

claudine wrote:Nevertheless we could create a french word, how about "crayfflet" (crayon-sifflet). Sounds interesting to me, kind of folky ...
And so close to crayfish, it's downright appetizing, too! :)
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

But do you think a vegetarian could play the crayfishllet?