Ebay Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The Galvin set is Egan; The Willie Rowsome set was styled after Egan. Mounts and drone bells are different. The Galvin depiction is artwork based off a photo. I do have the original photo somewhere - Shawn Folsom turned up the photo while down in New Zealand. Galvin's pipes are in a museum down there.

The stock on the Willie Rowsome B set is totally distinctive (shamrocks). Every curlicue on the reg keys in the photo is in this set.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have the photo too, Galvin has his hand on the stock so you can't see that.

An article in an old Piobaire says the set in the photo is not the one in the NZ museum.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

How about the mounts and the drone bells? Totally different to my eye.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

They are different and Rowsome has the extra regulator, they are very similar though
irishpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Ebay Pipes

Post by irishpiper »

I will be glade to talk to anybody about these pipes, for I have seen them firsthand. My number is 1-781-585-5279
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

A generous offer but to what end? Did you have anything else to offer up about the set and/or chanters?
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2555393228

Winning bid: US $3,675.00
Ended: Sep-08-03 15:23:34 PDT
History: 31 bids (US $99.99 starting bid)
Winning bidder: justgreatstuff1( 912)

United States /Boston

Description

As found set of old bagpipes. I could not see a mark on them. The ivory or bone has discolored with age, the brass has a nice patina. The bags are in bad condition. There are a lot of pipes and things here, which might be useful as parts, or maybe it is all there and can be restored. I will try to answer your questions if you email me. Shipping will depend on your zip, but they weigh about 25 lbs., not including the packaging. No Reserve. Thanks for looking.

(nice to save some of this stuff...pics go off ebay after about 3 months)
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Ebay Pipes

Post by irishpiper »

I posted the topic on this forum to inform people on what I saw. There are alot of things that you can't see from the pics like a missing key on one of the chanters. missing key on one of the regs..etc there is more than just " Ebony Grime" on this set.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

I guess we never got into the detail. The set is eminently restorable.

There were three D ebony chanters in the auction: One chanter has no top, no keys, no popping valve. Two of the other chanters are complete, although one was missing the f sharp key (that key can be added). Chanters are likely by Patsy Brown.

The Willie Rowsome body: the tenor reg is missing one key - its block on one side is missing; The bass drone is designed to be three piece of ebony and the middle connecting piece is missing - the piece that goes into the stock is there and the final end piece (bass drone slide) is there. One of the ivory pieces on the drone sound boxes is damaged. Other than that the set is in marvelous condition; all of this is eminently restorable. The set will require a new chanter. The bass regulator had been modified to turn the bass down along the stock in Taylor fashion. If it is the Willie Rowsome set in the only Willie Rowsome photo that we have (and I believe it is the set), the 4th regulator (only one key, one note, and probably problemsome while playing) would have been jettisoned.

No cracks in the remaining pieces. All in all, great condition for a neglected 100 year old set.
irishpiper

Ebay Pipes

Post by irishpiper »

Thank you Jim for your in depth description of the pipes. I assume that you have the pipes in your control. If you do congrats! Good luck with them!
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Pat Mitchell does indeed have the chanter to his W. Rowsome set purchased for 60 punt in 1965. He prefers to use the chanter that Matt Kiernan made for the set. Prehaps the Willie chanter had been interferred with, altohugh Willie's work wasn't always top notch