Dilemma

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
illuminatus99

Dilemma

Post by illuminatus99 »

I found the flute I really want, it's a casey burns in boxwood and it sounds great, nice a loud with lots of reedyness and honking. I also found a Copeland low D whistle that I've been wanting for a long time. unfortunately I can't buy both, maybe it's time to start thinking of selling off some of the gun collection since I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to.
spittle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

well, I borrowed a Boxwood Burns in D from Dusty Strings awhile back for a flute clinic. My tone was far less impressive than it is now and I was still impressed with the beautiful sound that came out of it immediately.

I have no doubt that when pushed, the flute would have sounded nothing short of amazing.

Doesn't really help your decision as I haven't lusted for a Copeland as much as I have for fine flutes - but my vote goes for the flute (of course you're also asking folks in the flute forum ;)).

Regards,
- Ryan
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

spittle wrote:well, I borrowed a Boxwood Burns in D from Dusty Strings awhile back for a flute clinic. My tone was far less impressive than it is now and I was still impressed with the beautiful sound that came out of it immediately.

I have no doubt that when pushed, the flute would have sounded nothing short of amazing.

Doesn't really help your decision as I haven't lusted for a Copeland as much as I have for fine flutes - but my vote goes for the flute (of course you're also asking folks in the flute forum ;)).

Regards,
- Ryan
I've tried out the one at dusty strings, I didn't liek it nearly as much as the one I tried first, he calls it an "ergonomic pratten". I tried out a bunch of flutes in one night, so far the only one I liked better was a peter noy with the walrus ivory strip in the lip plate, that one sounded really nice but to me it wasn't quite $1500 better than the burns I liked.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a Copeland low D and also some D flutes.
My experience, and I believe that of some others,
is that once you really start playing flutes,
you tend to prefer them to low whistles.
They are much more expressive, challenging,
and absorbing. (Also louder. )
Which is not to denigrate low D whistles.
So if I had to choose,
I'd buy the flute.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Flute.

Cheers,
Aaron
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Flute.

And yes, sell off some of the gun collection.
I'd rather have a tune cannon than a real one...
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I wouldn't want to give up either one, but it would be an easy decision. I play the boxwood flute at least ten times as much as the Copeland.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Flute.

(shouldn't this have been a poll?) :D

And no matter what you do, don't ask the same question in the whistle board.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:Flute.

And yes, sell off some of the gun collection.
I'd rather have a tune cannon than a real one...
When someone breaks into your home at night a 12 gauge tends to be a little more persuasive than a flute :)
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

glauber wrote:Flute.

(shouldn't this have been a poll?) :D

And no matter what you do, don't ask the same question in the whistle board.
I imagine I'd get the exact opposite answer in the whistle forum, I guess I posted it here because I was kinda leaning toward the flute anyway.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

illuminatus99 wrote: When someone breaks into your home at night a 12 gauge tends to be a little more persuasive than a flute :)
Ok true, but the flute would give you an edge with the 'confusion factor'. The would-be thief would take pause, wondering what the heck you were threatening him with, giving you enough time to cold-cock him and call the authorities. :P

Good choice on the flute btw ;) - maybe I'll see it (and you) around at a session sometime in the future!

Regards,
- Ryan
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Get the flute.

Or I guess, if you have a lot of guns, you could rob a bank and buy both. :lol:

In my opinion the Copeland Low D is a flute wanna-be anyway.

Doc
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, it's the low D whistle from hell, but
it isn't a flute. I have met flute players, good
ones, who loved playing it more than flute.
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

jim stone wrote:Well, it's the low D whistle from hell, but
it isn't a flute. I have met flute players, good
ones, who loved playing it more than flute.
Jim, maybe those guys had some kind of psychiatric disorder? Disturbed perception of reality, schizophreny, multiple personality disorder ...
Or maybe they just wanted to play around with a new toy.
;-)
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

spittle wrote:
illuminatus99 wrote: When someone breaks into your home at night a 12 gauge tends to be a little more persuasive than a flute :)
Ok true, but the flute would give you an edge with the 'confusion factor'. The would-be thief would take pause, wondering what the heck you were threatening him with, giving you enough time to cold-cock him and call the authorities. :P

Good choice on the flute btw ;) - maybe I'll see it (and you) around at a session sometime in the future!

Regards,
- Ryan
what sessions do you play at? I co-run the one at the celtic bayou and once in a while I show up at the old pequliar