OT: Scientific reason why you shouldnt criticize Dale

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Hi Azalin,
can you give me a short summary of the book? I started reading it a couple of months ago. Fascinating and inspiring reading, but a bit mind-boggling especially when you read it before going to bed. After having dreamt of loops, staircases and turtles for two consecutive nights I returned it to the library... :boggle: :boggle:
Christian
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

I suppose it could be scientific, however I will argue a different dicipline of science. Dale is the Alpha Male. IT is Dales Jungle.
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

Dale is actually Chetter Hummin.... but WE know he's R Daneel Olivaw really!
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Bloomfield wrote: [/quote]If nothing else, you should read the book for the story of how Bach wrote the Musical Offering. Or when was the last time you improvised a five-part fugue on a chromatic theme proposed by you King?[quote]

Once every three or four years I re-read the Bach portion of this book and I'm still intrigued by it. I would think anyone interested in music would find this story fascinating.

Maybe its because my musical education is limited to learning the dots so I could play enough tuba to get in the school orchestra and to sing in the choir at church.
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

NorCalMusician wrote:Can invisible people survive in a "strange loop?"
Sorry. I just can't see that happening. :D

Little John
Dorcas

Post by Dorcas »

littlejohngael wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:Can invisible people survive in a "strange loop?"
if they were in a black hole would they be visible?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Wow, that was quick. Sorry folks, but the cd is taken.
That was choice. :lol: I think I'll celebrate by melting my copy on the barbeque.
Tony
My hat's off to Jefferson. :party: :)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

TonyHiggins wrote: I think I'll celebrate by melting my copy on the barbeque.
Now you're talking, Tony. I'll send you my other copy so you can do the deed in stereo. Just don't tell Stout.

Jef
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

So, if math isn't a science, what is it? If not an empirical science, then what? And certainly not a natural science. A hard science? A real science? Perhaps the only real science. As Jeans said, "The Great Architect seems to be a mathematician."

One of the consistent characteristics of science and it theorems is that they stand theoretically not provable based upon any of the axioms that we consider relevant. Rather they are only probably proven… until someone shows that they are not correct. Math, however, is provable within its set of axioms and thus seems set apart from the rest of science.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

As the offending party who used the word science about all this, let me declare that I have math anxiety and consider it science-y. If it ain't science, I apologize. I dropped out of Algebra 2 in high school for study hall, so you get the idea. SAT?? 98 percentile verbal, down in the 60s for math.

So snicker away from yer test tubes...nobody's perfect but I'm damn close. :lol:

And stop teasin' stout or he'll kill you 37 different ways with his Fu. i wonder if Flatley has the froofy haircut on the disc cover???
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I think I'll celebrate by melting my copy on the barbeque.

Now you're talking, Tony. I'll send you my other copy so you can do the deed in stereo. Just don't tell Stout.
Goodness gracious. I just released a little urine that time. Oh my! :lol: :o
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

That's way down on the "need to know" scale!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Godel Escher and Bach is a magnificent book on multiple levels. It explores strange loops in math, music and art, and in doing so, does it on multiple levels. You don't need to read the book from beginning to end, you don't need to be a mathematician or artist or musician, you do need to read it carefully, for much of what is written has multiple meanings.

The book is written in two voices, the author talking about his topic, and ongoing discussions between various metaphysically minded fictional characters. The meta-discussions not only talk about their topic, but also physically describe some of Bachs greatest musical offerings.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

That's way down on the "need to know" scale!
Sorry, Eric. Forgot I was in polite company. It comes of being a medical advice nurse. You want to hear things you really don't want to know? I've choked on my coffee more than once. Talk about "gettin' real."
Tony
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

As long as your advice doesn't involve prostates and rubber gloves, you and I should get along fine ;)