Dale's Whistle Maker rules were detrimental to the site.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

What I want to know is how does Chiff Fipple have time to do all those cool things in her messages and still make whistles? Geez...

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
glauber

Post by glauber »

DaleWisely wrote:Parcour,

From time to time, I break my own rules. I'm only human. I have a rule about civility on this board. I'm about to break it.

Let me respectfully suggest that you kiss my ass.

Sincerely,

Dale
I'd like to withdraw my previous nomination and nominate this post instead, for Walden's 2003 Walden Award for Excellence in Chiff and Fipple Posting.

(I'm aware that the award has already been given, but this is good enough to violate the space-time continuum for.)

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

DaleWisely wrote:Parcour,

From time to time, I break my own rules. I'm only human. I have a rule about civility on this board. I'm about to break it.

Let me respectfully suggest that you kiss my ass.

Sincerely,

Dale
Tsk, tsk, Dale, breaking your own rules... Does that mean you will have to ban yourself now? Making personal attacks, name-calling, locking up threads because you don't agree with the contents of the site linked to - I would have thought you were above all that... :(

Cheers,
Jens
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

OK if he bare's it i'll dare itImageImage
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
wizzywig

"I just brake my owm rules"

Post by wizzywig »

That just about says it all!.
Who the hell is this guy anyway?.I didn't know Alabama was the whistling capital of the world and D Wisley was the whistling guru.For all we know he may not even be able to play a whistle beyond what most five year olds can achive.I've never heard him play a note,does he have a CD or his own brand of whistle,I think not, so what gives him the right even review a whistle without any credentials apart for self given ones,any reasonable whistler can review a whistle.
" It's my board and you have to play by my rules"sounds like a control freak to me.Is this a man who needs to feel important in his little world."Hail Dale Wisley King of Poststructural Whistle Journalists" sh*t!.
Would the guy even know how to even begin to put a good whistle together let alone market one AND be a sucess with it,I think not.
All these guys who do make whistles and the the players that inspire us to play and buy whistles,these are the guys I take my hat off to,the Wisleys' of this world are just deluded fools,don't take any notice of them and maybe they'll just go away.
Wiz
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: "I just brake my owm rules"

Post by Walden »

wizzywig wrote: Would the guy even know how to even begin to put a good whistle together let alone market one AND be a sucess with it,I think not.
All these guys who do make whistles and the the players that inspire us to play and buy whistles,these are the guys I take my hat off to,the Wisleys' of this world are just deluded fools,don't take any notice of them and maybe they'll just go away.
Wiz
Hmph!
Reasonable person
Walden
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Parcour25 wrote:
I cannot believe that several members here will actually shout down and criticize the whistle makers the way they do. One guy talks proudly about his new product and his accused of God-forbid, advertising, another guy is happy to offer a new CD and he is accused of trying to what, make money? The childishness and immaturity here is pitiful. You guys had a good thing once. You lost it. You killed the golden goose.
I didn't notice any whistle maker offering to leave but I was under the impression you already had.

What few disagreements and misunderstandings there really were about this non-issue were sorted out pages back. Why don't we all just put a sock in it?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/search.php?se ... 584deb71bf

Wiz, your first 12 comments were so essential to the function of this message board I can hardly wait for the next 12.

Would you like to supersize those fries ??
skh

Post by skh »

Parcour25 wrote: You guys had a good thing once. You lost it. You killed the golden goose.
The secret to make any place online a good place to be: don't attack people for not being as [insert positive attribute] as they once were when you were new on the board, but be as [insert same positive attribute] to others as they used to be to you.

If this applies. If the group was just a bunch of idiots from the very beginning, ask yourself why you're still there. If you are.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
skh

Re: "I just brake my owm rules"

Post by skh »

wizzywig wrote:Who the hell is this guy anyway?
Irrelevant. He started this board, and you didn't. We all didn't. That's why he makes the rules, and the rest follows (more or less). If you want democracy, don't use online discussion groups, the successful ones all tend to end up as benign dictatorships or monarchies.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Again I realize that I have not been here that long. But for someone to have the cajones to make any sort of coments about what dale gives to the whistling community just pisses me off. Wiz how dare you even speak up about what should be said not said done or not done on a message board that you've belonged to for over a year and contributed 12 utterly meaningless posts :evil: ! Dale did not have to create this site, he doesn't have to spend his spare time making sure that we all get along, he doesn't have to do anything. But he does, he created this site for us all to enjoy, and if you don't like it then may I suggest you take one of your "Oversized baked potatoes" pack it full of dynomite stick a lit fuse in it, and do the rest of us a favor by shoving that hot sparkling tuber so far into your colon that the roto router guy couldn't even get it out. :twisted: Pshaw the gall of some people. Dale I for one would like to thank you personaly for devoting your time to this site, for the world to enjoy :party: . To those who don't like how you run things I say, MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN WHISTLE COMMUNITY IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS ONE.

W (wisdom)
S (self honesty)
S (self responsibility)
L (Light /|\)
Cyfiawnder aka
Justin <- one pissed off pagan

I'm going to go drink some tea and meditate. I said meditate not that other word!
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

This thread SUCKS!
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Jeez, folks! I ignore this thread for a coupla days, and all heck breaks loose!
People, people, people-- this is about whistles. Funky little FUN instruments. And a website devoted to them. Not the Bible,Quaran, works of Shakespeare, or other IMPORTANT written works. A simple website bulliten board.
If ya don't like something here, respond to it civilly, or look elsewhere.
There is stuff on the web about child ρσяиσפядρђψ. Do you look at/for it? Probably not. It's your choice. There is stuff about crochetting lace doileys. Do you look at that? Maybe, maybe not, but again, it's your choice. Do you go to doily sites and criticize the moderators on their policies? I seriously doubt it. Again, a choice.
The vast majority of us here seem to be pretty happy all in all with the way things are done on the board. If you don't agree, you don't have to stay here. You can start your own Yahoo board in about 30 sec ( I know because I did it as an experiment). Go for it.
I've known Dale online since just about the beginning of Chiff and Fipple and have always found him to be a remarkable person in every respect, regarding whistles and other more personal matters. For him to get riled to the point of telling someone to kiss his nether regions is astounding. Dale, keep cool, consider the source. Everyone else, consider the wisdom of that paradigm of virtue, Rodney King " Why can't we all just get along?"
Dale-- not to stifle free discussion, but in the interest of peace, you might want to consider freezing this thread...
Paul Busman-- HAPPY whistlemaker
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have heard recordings of Dale playing. He plays well. He has a very large whistle collection including some very rare and hard to find whistles. That gives him a vast experience base to review from.

One thing none of us should ever forget is that Dale owns this board. He's the reason it's here. Conversely, without him, it wouldn't be here, and so neither would we.

We are like guests in his home.

If we don't behave with civility and politeness, we dishonor ourselves, as well as doing each other a grave disservice.

--James

P.S. Paul, I didn't see your message. We must have been typing at the same time. Your post says eloquently everything I think needs be said; had I seen it first, I wouldn't have added my own $.0125 worth.

--==JTP=
Last edited by peeplj on Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I agree in respect of the suckitudiness of this thread.

I understand the need for debate (at times heated) amongst the members of any community, but 'old lags' often get so caught up in the moment they often forget the 'public' nature of boards like this one, and the deleterious effect that such outpourings may have on newcomers.

I guess I'm typical of most 'newbies'...I spend time 'lurking' in the background, trying to pick up all the insightful and valuable information surrounding my new interest. I learn, I play, I listen, I play, I absorb the wealth of information around here as best I can.

After a while, you get a feel for the 'regulars' on the board, and then you pluck up the courage to post...sometimes that's hard, especially as a total beginner (I've heard kids play the whistle better than I ever likely will!).

And then a thread like this appears, and doesn't fade away, it gets bumped to no.1 position every time someone posts.

And suddenly the newbie gets the impression that beneath the 'fun' and the free spirits, there's something gone awry and bubbling eerily beneath the surface.

Maybe if folks have a real issue with the site's moderator, they can take it "offline" via email or PM, and this thread can be locked? Otherwise, in 6 months time, back it comes to the top of the pile next time some wandering troll finds it and makes yet another post.

A (very) newbie's view, for what it's worth.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner