Dale's Whistle Maker rules were detrimental to the site.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Brian Lee wrote::roll: Aren't there any bigger problems in our lives than this? :-? I can understand BOTH points of view, but honestly guys...how hard do you want to nitpick stuff like this? Sheesh.
Yeah, i'm with you. Come on, the guy violated a loosely enforced rule without malice, was advised of the problem and backed off. What now? Do we require a human sacrifice? Sheesh... If Bill is not welcome in this site, then i'm not welcome either.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

glauber wrote:
Brian Lee wrote::roll: Aren't there any bigger problems in our lives than this? :-? I can understand BOTH points of view, but honestly guys...how hard do you want to nitpick stuff like this? Sheesh.
Yeah, i'm with you. Come on, the guy violated a loosely enforced rule without malice, was advised of the problem and backed off. What now? Do we require a human sacrifice? Sheesh...
My cinnamon mints exactly.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Hey Paul, are those knives full tang?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

brewerpaul wrote:Jeez-- this all comes up just when I was going to offer a free set of Ginsu steak knives with each Busman whistle sold. :=(
Gosh, Paul, I'm truly shocked. Being proud owner of the largest Busman-collection in the western hemisphere and strict vegetarian in one person, I'm appalled by these nasty tricks to make a fast dollar.
Come on man, how about a nice wooden(!) salad bowl with every whistle sold instead? All would be forgiven. I'd like mine in pink ivory please!

Cheers
Claus
----------------------
Got carrots?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I wanna Human Sacrifice! Night all..
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi,
Just saw this hot thread and as I read through, I was shocked to see my name mentioned as one guilty of using the forum in commercial promotion.

I have carefully avoided any commercial announcements or self serving posts, but had not dreamed that my mentioning that I had a supply of some great CDs if people could not obtain them locally, would be offensive.

At the risk of making another commercial statement, I must tell you all that I am not in the business of selling CDs, but offer some selected CDs recorded by personal friends to promote their music and I sell them on my site to my customers at or very near my own cost after paying shipping, etc.

Perhaps it is indeed not possible for a maker to wear two hats and be a member of the forum and a maker of the instruments.
In any case, I do regret having offended anyone and will certainly be more circumspect in the future.

All the best
Mike

PS: Feadaniste and Mick O'Brien's new CD are awesome. I don't regret telling anyone that. So get these CDs for sure, but please,not from me. ;)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, I said on the other thread I wouldn't be posting on these anymore. Turns out I do have something I want to say, after all.

I just wanted to tell Michael Burke two things: one is that he made what to date is my best whistle, and it is also the best whistle I've ever played. It's an Al-Pro D and it has a tone like melted butter.

The other: I don't ever remember having seen you post before, so I just wanted to say "Pleased to meet'cha!," even if only in a virtual way, so to speak.

Best wishes,

--James
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

peeplj wrote:Well, I said on the other thread I wouldn't be posting on these anymore. Turns out I do have something I want to say, after all.

I just wanted to tell Michael Burke two things: one is that he made what to date is my best whistle, and it is also the best whistle I've ever played. It's an Al-Pro D and it has a tone like melted butter.

The other: I don't ever remember having seen you post before, so I just wanted to say "Pleased to meet'cha!," even if only in a virtual way, so to speak.

Best wishes,

--James
At a point some months back where we were speculting about methods of production and approaches to pricing, some of us asked makers to come forward to explain their procedures. Michael was one of several who obliged, explaining his business in considerable detail.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I can't be the human sacrifice, as several have suggested
in PMs. Too much controversy about my species.
MB is way too nice a man, and his instruments
are too good. Maybe we can compromise on something closely
allied to our species: a chimpanzee, even a remote common
ancestor like a lemur or a tree shrew...
Will it have to be a virgin?
Must consult the authorities. Best
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I'll volunteer.

If you can find me.

Oops, better not.

Only three days to October update.

Mack
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

This whole issue came up in the first place when a couple of people got REALLY mad at a couple of makers (who have been mentioned here in this thread) for posting nothing but commercial information. I know the forum is the perfect place to get information to whistlers, but it can get annoying when it's done too often.

If Mike Burke mentioned once that he had CD's for sale, big freakin' deal! I remember one long post by Mike, explaining why he had been slow in communicating for a while. It was after he was called to task publicly. Though sometimes a whistler can be extra inspired by a beautifully crafted instrument of wood and silver, if one is looking for a reliable instrument with unsurpassed technical playability, one can't do better than a Burke. It is my seasoned opinion that he has NOT been one to abuse the forum, and certainly not repeatedly.

~Jessie
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

:-? :-? :-?

I can't see how there was anything inappropriate about Mike Burke's posts.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

avanutria wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Now, what am I going to do with all those steak knives?
You could start a combination juggling school and medical center...
Say, juggling IS one of my hobbies.... or maybe we could use them for that human sacrifice..
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I am a newer person here. When I first started realizing I was going to NEED whistles, I found my best resourse for locating them was from Dales main page. He has a TON of links there to nearly every major whistle maker imaginable and some, what I believe, nice mini reviews about each one.

I would suggest any maker that wishes to be noticed and is not listed there to contact Dale and get listed. I bet he would even let you colaborate on the text published!

I saw one post here regarding a "commercial" forum where makers could freely post and announce their updates and products. We could then go there to get the latest and most up to date info on the offerings. I have mentioned this in other places myself. Would that not be a good compromise?

And you can't sacrifice me because I am invisible.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I guess I wasn't mentioned because I'm "technically" not a maker... yet. I do have some plans though. All those who bad mouth me have to pay 15% extra when I start selling :devil: ... Just kidding. They're free. No I'm definately kidding. :lol:
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.