which low A for under 75.00?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

I NEED an A for under 75.00 and don't like pvc.
It must be heard over a fiddle.
I love my Shaw sop D, have no trouble with it's wind requirements, but fear the low A might be a gasper.
I don't like the way all my Susatos honk when playing notes a fifth or more apart quickly.
Any recommendations? Used A's for sale?
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

I haven't tried Mack Hoover's A, but I have tried his soprano D and I like it. He makes a brass version and if I remember, it is less than $75. Go to http://bewellweb.com/l21082o/ to take a look.

(oops, I just looked - they're $80 - still worth a look.)

Erik
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I believe that Tony Dixon's whistles also meet your criteria, though I've never played one. His site is http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/

I believe that Tom at the Whistle Shop sells them in the U.S.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2002-01-04 15:08 ]</font>
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I just ran across this Sindt Mezzo-A:
<a href=http://www.home.earthlink.net/~migoya/id26.htm>Sindt A at Fyfer Restorations</a> Its priced a little up from your range but might be worth your consideration.

I've purchased a whistle from David (Overton Low-F) and he was a delight to deal with.

Hope this helps,
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I tried someone's Susato A this week and found it to be really quite OK. The bore was much comparatively much narrower than the D and C models I've tried, which means that it is much more tractable. So maybe it wouldn't honk for you, although I don't know what you mean by this tendency, never having coming across it in other Susatos. Whether it would be heard over a fiddle depends very much on the fiddler.

John Sindt's A is only a few dollars more than 75. It's very well behaved, but quite quiet, and IMO a little dead sounding. It's not as loud as a Generation Bb, so brassy fiddlers could swamp it.

The best A I've tried, by far, is an Overton, which is probably powerful enough to hold its own against Frankie Gavin, but is more pricey.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I have a Susato A that I'd pass on. Let me know if you want it.
I don't have a problem with it, but it's surplus, and I'd like to pick up a bit of cash.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Thanks so much, All
I needed to hear that about the Sindt A. Day before yesterday I had already contacted Mike (fyfer) about the A and Bb but they were already spoken for. I do need a bright sounding A. (I got on the Sindt D sop waiting list back in Sept.)
I had emailed Mack a long time ago asking him to describe his brass A, but I never got a reply--he had been great corresponding when I was buying the narrow D--I also have the trad D but it is too quiet for our session, so I figure the Hoover brass A won't be brassy enough.
I had a Dixon instrument once--a polymer flute I sent back to Hobgoblin because it was too quiet and too expensive to need a piece of masking tape to tighten the joint fit. (I hope Dixon quality is better than it was then--but they still use that gold ticky tacky, right?)
I already have six Susatos . . . .
Everyone helped me narrow my choices.
Elderly is selling Shaw low A's for 36.00. I like my Shaw so much better than any of my Susatos--maybe I like conical better. I was leaning toward the Shaw A and needed ya'll's input so I could go with my own intuition.

Lisa
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Some would disagree, but I love the Shaw A. I doesn't take as much breath as the other Shaws, and it has a lot of volume. Back on the C&F page, I believe Dale once said it was one if his favorite whistles. You can get one for about $36 from http://www.elderly.com. Here's a url directly to their whistle page http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/170N.htm
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Water Weasel A, if you ask me, might very well be just what you're looking for. In the under $100 range it's hard to beat.

Having said that, I recently got a (second) Overton A - this one was is a recently made "easy blowing" Goldie Overton and it's totally Freak'in unbelievable. I am not kidding, this whistle blows my mind - Steve J. you would kill for this whistle, but you can't have it. It's not as loud or hard to blow as my other Overton A, and the volume between octaves is as good as it gets. Now most Overtons, might be a little loud for your average session, but this one would be just perfect - not too loud, and certainly not too quiet. Geeze, this whistle is simply amaazing......

Anyway, the Water Weasel A and Bb are really great whistles for the money. And they very different from the Sindt A/Bb

Loren (who can't stand Shaws) B.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Regarding Sindt A, I'm guessing but I think it might be a little soft, judging from how softly my Sindt D plays. I don't think I'd be heard over a fiddle at all.

I also have an old Susato A with very narrow bore diameter. I don't like it at all because of the very unwholesome sound and uncomfortable mouthpiece. Nowadays I use one of those "Made in India" cane whistles from Song of the Sea when I need an A. Sounds much better, and easier to play. So if you're heading towards Susato, get one of those newer wider bore models.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I agree with Loren that the Water Weasel A is a really fine whistle (and I'm really warming up to the Bb that I recently acquired).

Lisa, what is your complaint with PVC?

Charlie
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

All,
thanks again for all your input--I ordered a Shaw from Elderly early yesterday. Mack emailed me apologizing for missing my query and I told him as soon as I am ready to upgrade I will be in touch with him--thanks again for the reports on Sindt--every whistle has its best applications.
Charlie,
This past summer I started a thread discussing chemical sensitivity to pvc. I have problems with some plastics, not others. Plastic fipples haven't bothered me, nor the ABS of Susatos. My reactions are to pvc flutes and brand new shower curtains. There is some chemical in pvc and whatever plastic is in shower curtains that I am very very sensitive to--maybe its because I grew up in NJ, ha.
Lisa

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ysgwd on 2002-01-05 12:09 ]</font>
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Eldarion,
I have mostly the narrower bore models of Susatos --was sent old stock when I ordered from Lark in The Morning. I have the old narrow bore Bb that came in the DCBb set--it's the worst honker, although otherwise sweeter sounding than the D. Yes, one has to be careful not to get the narrower bore A, then.