OT: How many of us aren't Irish?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Are you Irish or do you have some Irish ancestors?

Yes.
41%
No.
54%
I am a very funny pink satin shoe.
6%

Total votes: 71

lilymaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: How many of us aren't Irish?

Post by lilymaid »

The "How many of us are Irish?" thread got me thinking. I'm not Irish even by descent, that I know of. I was wondering how many other non-Irish folks there were here. (I feel kind of left out, not being Irish at all. :) )
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
skh

Post by skh »

Not a single drop of Irish blood, though I'm a general middle european mixture from the parts of Germany that once were Danish, or now are Poland or Russia, and the Celts wandered through a long time ago.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think am a Heinz 57 US citizen. I never have traced my ancestry, but I know there are English, Scottish and German surnames involved. My other grandparent was an Autry, spelled like the cowboy's name and I don't know what that is.

I have been drunk on Saint Patrick's day, so I am Irish. I can't stand Guinness, though. Image
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i never had an irish passport, lived in belgium most of my life.
i have a kerry accent, that's the only dialect i know, i can't speak dutch with an accent. i thought one time, a belgian passport might be an advantage in finding a house or flat for rent in ireland, but people didn't believe me and thought i was a traveller (hidden fact of irish racism). actually, i could not convince anybody who didn't knew me long that i was a belgian. (even roger o'keeffe wouldn't believe me now, after 13 years of living here). so i squatted a house in the most depraved estates in the whole of ireland," mitchells crescent, tralee". that's where my relatives live, they are all settled travellers. i lived there for 2 years, and i'll be going back, i live in 2 worlds, in belgium for the money, in ireland for a family (i've no wife or kids). would people from india, (i think they're lovely people), with an irish passport, be more irish then myself?
Last edited by lixnaw on Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I have some Irish ancestry.
Reasonable person
Walden
Fat Freddy's Cat

Post by Fat Freddy's Cat »

Nope.

Mix of English and Scot, but apparently my surname originated in France.
"Whistles will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistles."
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:Nope.

...but apparently my surname originated in France.
Cat????
:P
Thanks Freddy for reminding me of the Fabulous Furry Freak Bro's, brings good memories!! *goes off looking for secret stash* :-)

on topique: not Irish here either. Lot's of dutch and bit of german. No danish (as far as I know)...

cheers,
Jeroen
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

None here, at least not in any recent history. I know I have Scottish blood through my maternal grandmother, but that's as close as I'll get. The rest is a mix of various German bits (including a British-hired Hessian mercenary named Burtz from the revolutionary days on my maternal grandfather's side, if that explains anything about my temperament :wink: Also my paternal grandfather's family at least partially comes from the region that used to be called Prussia.), Froinch, English, and Sicilian.

I guess you could say I'm "Generic European" at this point. :P
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

No Irish blood ancestors (I'm Polish, Lithuanian, and German) but my stepfather adopted me when I was 10 and he is West Side Chicago Irish. So I am Irish by adoption. And I'm Irish by Music.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
slowair

Post by slowair »

I guess I must be a funny pink satin shoe.

I was adopted and haven't the slightest idea from whence I came.

I look Irish, so I'm told.

I can talk with an Irish accent....but only after watching The Quiet Man. What fun! :)

Mostly, I feel Irish. From the little bit that I know of Irish history, I can identify with the culture.

I have the luck of the Irish....mostly all bad, but able to make the best of life anyways.

Mike
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Slowair - I've also been told I look Irish, by an Irishman no less. It's funny how that goes. :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Irish ancestors came here during the famine. I also have scottish, german, dutch, and english ancestors. Some of the german and dutch ancestors left the US for Canada at about the time of the Revolution. Their children came back to the states in the mid 1800s. That makes me a rather common variety American.

Ron
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

I might have a drop or two of Irish blood, but it would be so far back as to not even count. I'm mostly Dutch (about half), and the other half is so mixed as to not make a difference.

A.J.
Jack

Post by Jack »

What I am depends on who you ask.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Well, funnily enough I'm an American Jew who obsessively plays Irish music (although I did hear that there may have been an illicit liaison with a pink satin shoe somewhere way back when the family was still in Lithuania--but we don't talk about these scandals). But you can blame it on an old buddy of mine of Scottish descent who got me going on the Bothy Band back in the 80s.
Jon Michaels