Does piping cause or attract insanity?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Which do you think?

Attracts
66%
Causes
7%
Niether
7%
I get back to you when my multiple personalties give me an answer.
21%

Total votes: 29

marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Does piping cause or attract insanity?

Post by marcpipes »

I've been involved in art and music all my life. In that time I've seen concentrated groups of afficianados in many fields: theatre, painting, sculpture, jewelers, gem and rock hounds, classical , jazz and rock musicians. I'm a bit eccentric to put it mildly, but of all the groups I've seen or been a part of it seems the piping community(Irish and Scottish) has an inordinate amount of full on nutters. :boggle: We seem the most ready to argue at the drop of a hat and abuse ourselves and others in the most creative ways. Depression, chemical depedancy and rage issues seem to run rampant here. Don't get me wrong, I've met some of the greatest and kindest people in piping also, but the nutjobs definately make up a larger part of the community than you would see in most other obscure fields of study in which I've been involved.
Do you think it's the instrument that causes this (as some studies of oboists' pineal glands affected by pressure and reed vibration would assert), or do you think the instrument attracts the unbalanced more than most other forms of music?
Let's hear your thoughts and experiences.
Marc
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Marcpipes, you mentioned unbalanced, ninety five per cent of the world
is unbalanced, its like normal,who is normal, what one person may think
is normal, and what a other may think is normal can vary a great deal,
you have to have great patience to learn and play pipes,Cool is the word
I'm looking for, yes, definitely, Uilleanns are certainly not a instrument for hot heads or anyone with a short fuse. having a wife could have made
me unbalanced can't really think of anything else that could have, I was
definitely O.K before I took the vows, so my mates say. :D 8)
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Obsessive Compulsive disorder....

...bouts of depression..

...occasional euphoria bordering on mania

We got it all [we being me and the wee men on my shoulder, here]

Boyd
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Image You mean it isn't a pre-requisite? Image
djm

Post by djm »

I take great offense at the implications of this thread and as soon as this medication wears of I'm gonna muh ... muh ... :sleep:
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :x :boggle: :lol: :lol:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

In my case, I was perfectly normal before strapping on these damned pipes. I actually took a long break from piping so I could recover, and now I'm perfectly messed up again, and this internet thing doesn't help. I think the secret lies in denial...you have to live as though you don't play them to get along in the rest of your life. :D They're really to beautiful of an instrument to return to normal though, so... :-?
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

4 to go, Lorenzo
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

You also get these people who just make me scratch my head. What kind of rock are you living under, pal?
Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

When I started as a young musician, it was on the piano... :sniffle:

Then I took up the saxophone... :really:

Then I got a little smarter (and cooler) and started playing bass, even went to college to study it... 8)

Then I heard ITM... :thumbsup:

Then I heard pipes... :shock: :D

Then I decided to learn to play the pipes... :thumbsup:

Then I realized how hard it is to get that first set of pipes... :puppyeyes:

How hard it is... :sniffle:

So hard... :cry:

So very hard... :boggle:

Then I snapped. I think it is the market for pipes when one is starting out that initially starts one down the path of loopy. My vote is, Causes!

T'Weed
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

i think it's the internet that causes the insanity. the pipes are prozac to me. oops :o
djm

Post by djm »

TumbleW, the waiting period is intentional. Its a sort initiation test, a test of your strength of will and perseverence. We want to make sure you are really ready to commit to this noble undertaking. Of course, the occasional duffer gets in, like <enter_target _of_your_enmity_here>, but by and large, we are all pure and holy, and have dedicated our virginity to piping and justice for all (except Royce). :lol:

djm
Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

I've never even played the instrument yet......

I can't stop hearing it in my head. When I listen to it, I don't hear it with my ears but with every fiber of my being.

I am acomplished on many instruments. I could be well and happy focusing on them. But no. I heard the uilleann pipes. Now I have to play. I must play. I can't face the idea of not being able to play.

WHAT MORE DOES IT WANT FROM ME???? :-?

Why must i suffer in uillean pergatory? Can't afford a set of 'em, can't live without 'em. A cruel fate indeed.

Someday :cry:

The weed tumbles
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Tumbleweed, I know how you feel. You have been diagnosed with UPOD, Uilleann Pipes Obsession Disorder. Unfortunately, it seems to be terminal.

I only have 4 months and two days to go until I get my pipes (but who's counting). Are you kidding, I don't even have to look at the calendar to know how long its been since I placed the order and was given six months until I can live again...er a six month wait. :roll:

Meanwhile, it seems a lot like purgatory...next thing you know I'll be quoting Revelations like Kevin.

Then I'll really know I've gone off the deep end. :wink:

-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

Snoogie

My alter-ego is going through a similar experience right now waiting for a custom made electric bass. It is due in about a week.

So I am getting a little preview of what that will be like. Somehow, though, I think the first set of pipes will be much more intense. I have basses that I can play while i wait. What pipes have I got? :(

It's apporimately 5 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 27 seconds until it arrives, but who's counting, right?