Music hath charms...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Music hath charms...

Post by Redwolf »

...I had to supervise the little kids (kindergarteners and first graders) at school during lunch today (usually I have the older kids). They're supposed to remain at their tables until the bell rings, but for some reason they all got done eating early, and they were about as antsy as 5 and 6 year old kids can get. I had some whistles with me, as we had Morris practice this afternoon, so finally, in desperation, I told them "if you'll stay in your seats I'll play something for you." About halfway through the first tune, I looked up to see 30 pairs of eyes totally riveted on me...all the kids seated quietly facing me with their hands in their laps, like an audience in a theater. This is normally a truly rowdy bunch, and it was amazing to see them sitting so quietly! They wanted to hear every whistle in my gig bag, and each kid definitely had his or her favorite: "I like the brown one!" (Susato Kildare), "I like the gold and white one!" (Hoover Whitecap), "I like the sparkly one!" (Elfsong), etc. They got a kick out of the fact that I name my whistles too...they couldn't quite decide if I was really cool or really weird (what can I say? :roll: )

It's so much fun to see how little ones respond to music...it really grabs them! Maybe I ought to start passing out whistles to parents and teachers. "Redwolf's patented child charmer" :D

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Rockymtnpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

they couldn't quite decide if I was really cool or really weird
Really weird is often the prerequisit to being really cool.
cj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cj »

It's fun to share music with kids, whistles especially because their little hands can fit on them (the higher ones anyway) and the cheaper ones look like toys, so they want to get their hands on them.

Not many things can make 30 kindergartens sit quietly and willingly! Very cool.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

A charming story, and music and kids does work!

I practice out side of the library in the good weather and one day I looked around the corner immediate to me and there were five kids about 7 or 8 sitting there listening to me. When they saw me looking at them, they started to ask all kinds of questions, unfortunately I didn't have any whistles with me.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

My best audience thus far was the mother goose and family
by the pond at the park
near my auto mechanic's shop
that chilly morning
playing on a borrowed Laughing Whistle,
waiting for waiting for my car.
Wombat

Re: Music hath charms...

Post by Wombat »

Redwolf wrote:...they couldn't quite decide if I was really cool or really weird (what can I say? :roll: )

Redwolf
Well, I was rather hoping one could be both. :lol:

Nice story, Redwolf.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Music hath charms...

Post by anniemcu »

Wombat wrote:
Redwolf wrote:...they couldn't quite decide if I was really cool or really weird (what can I say? :roll: )

Redwolf
Well, I was rather hoping one could be both. :lol:

Nice story, Redwolf.
In my extensive experience with the weird side, I can attest that it frequently coinsides with the cool one - if you choose to look at it correctly. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com