SF/Bay Area wh. meet: Pics & mp3 link on pg. 11

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

SF/Bay Area wh. meet: Pics & mp3 link on pg. 11

Post by LimuHead »

UPDATE 10/11:

The whistle meet is a go! Please PM Tony Higgins for the address.

Date: Saturday, 11/08/03
Time: 2:00 PM until ????
What to bring:
- whistles
- other instruments
- music stand
- music (several people are bringing McCullough's 121 Favorite..)
- food, beverages, or utensils.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Original message:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone in the SF/Bay Area interested in getting together for a whistle meet? It seems there are enough of us on this board to have a 'reel' good time. I was thinking of maybe organizing something before Christmas. The Hawaiian restaurant/bar that my band plays at in SF could be a possible meeting place ('E Komo Mai' at 32nd & Judah). I also know the owner of a Hawaiian restaurant ('Hukilau') in San Jose. His restaurant has a good sized back room that could possibly host us.

I wouldn't mind organizing the event if there's enough interest.

Please respond to this thread or PM me if interested. Any suggestions for other locations that could host us would be greatly appreciated. C'mon folks...let's get together....

Thanks,
Aldon
Last edited by LimuHead on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

Gee, I guess anyone from Sacramento is out of the picture, for this one. :sniffle:

Guess I'll just stop in at Napa, instead. :P

JP
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Napa would be an excellent place for a gathering!
Wine instead of Guiness! The perfect 'California twist'! We might
even take it up a notch further and allow non-ITMusic - maybe even encourage non-ITMusic! :lol:

(Just for the record, I DO prefer Guiness over wine, but will gladly accept
either when offered....:wink: .....)
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

name the date. I'd be interested. SF would be more central than San Jose for us EBay types.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I'm interested too, but I'd say a house is more practical than someplace public cause having like 10 whistlers together might not be a big crowd pleaser if you know what I mean. Specially if we are playing in the pitch of D as Tony will back me up on. I'll be playing the flute most likely but still that's a lot of high pitch noises for a public event. But I am interested in meeting some of the other California chiffers and it sounds like fun.
No I'm not returning...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

MurphyStout wrote:I'm interested too, but I'd say a house is more practical than someplace public cause having like 10 whistlers together might not be a big crowd pleaser if you know what I mean. Specially if we are playing in the pitch of D as Tony will back me up on. I'll be playing the flute most likely but still that's a lot of high pitch noises for a public event. But I am interested in meeting some of the other California chiffers and it sounds like fun.
I'm interested, too.

I think MurphyStout may be right in this - unless we can get a private room or find a pub that's used to sessions things may be difficult.

Much as I like Napa, it's a bit out of the way. San Jose/South Bay works best for me, but anything up to SF or Berkeley is managable.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Murph is quite right about a lot of D whistles going all at once. I'm picturing the 3 Stooges tumbling out the saloon door and a big cowboy yelling, "And, Stay out!" If anyone plays an instrument additional to a whistle, that would be welcome and well advised. Definitely sounds fun. The craziness factor tends to run a bit high at these things.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Kar

Post by Kar »

I live in SF, and I would LOVE to attend a whistler gathering. San Jose is a bit far for my poor car, but I can make East or North Bay or the city easily. Fun, fun, fun! Count me in.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I am WAY up North in Lake County so SJ is too far South for me. Anything along the SF, Oak, Napa line would be pretty central.

And I think that our Sac friends would be more than welcome for this one!

Someone should take a quick count and location survey, plot the locations on a map and see what would be most central to everyone.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sounds like fun! I could make it if it's in San Jose or somewhere nearby, and possibly if it's in San Francisco...Napa would be too far for me, I'm afraid.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
BoneQuint

Lurker

Post by BoneQuint »

Hi, if this happens I might sit in a dark corner and listen to y'all. I'm a beginner who couldn't chiff his way out of a paper bag, but I'm having fun with it. I'll bring my bones to play along with a song or two, though, if you like.
DCrom

Re: Lurker

Post by DCrom »

BoneQuint wrote:Hi, if this happens I might sit in a dark corner and listen to y'all. I'm a beginner who couldn't chiff his way out of a paper bag, but I'm having fun with it. I'll bring my bones to play along with a song or two, though, if you like.
What's skill got to do with coming?

Now *playing* may be another issue - rumour has it that after the third tune you spoil in a given night the better players perform the Phineas Gage operation before throwing you into the purgatory normally reserved for r*****er (the woodwind that dares not speak its name) fans. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: But I'm pretty sure that listening's OK.

I don't count myself as more than a (somewhat) advanced beginner myself - like you, I plan to sit any tune I don't think I'm well up to & will probably spend much more time listening than playing. But I expect it'll be fun.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Exactly. Besides, I like dark corners.
KCJiang

Post by KCJiang »

Good idea, please count me in.
Kar

Post by Kar »

Oh, I can't really play either, but that's never stopped me from trying to do so. I don't play Irish Trad so unless someone wants to join in on Amazing Grace or Down by the Riverside, I'll be listening in the corner too.

Still, we can all bring our whistles at least have a fest trying out other whistles, I hope!