Susato VSB

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

HHRRRRNNNNGGGGG is the metallic sound produced by a tin ear.

pete humphrey

Post by pete humphrey »

I recently aquired a Susato C kildare, I think it sounds great, it is very nice to play, even my wife likes the sound it makes, she has stopped leaving the room when I play!!! :roll:
it;s never too late to learn
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

The VSB can be nice as can the SB Susato, but the VSB fails in breezy conditions and the SB punches through nicely-just something to consider
for outdoor play. I like both at different times, but always choose SB for outdoor play.

BTW, "HHRRRRNNNNGGGGG" is the pitch-bending harmony bagpipes play before piper launches into the music, but maybe I'm confusing it with "HuuUUnnnggggGGchhhw..."
hellbound skunk

Post by hellbound skunk »

Actually the sound of the highland pipes which you are describing is more of a "hooo....Hooouurrnnnnnggggmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" Only the susato whistle is capable of creating the "hhrrrnnnggg" noise
throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

hellbound skunk wrote:Actually the sound of the highland pipes which you are describing is more of a "hooo....Hooouurrnnnnnggggmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" Only the susato whistle is capable of creating the "hhrrrnnnggg" noise
Well, only Susatos and those vile r***ders.

*shudders
/Bloomfield
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

My dog's head hasn't exploded yet, but he does occasionally...well, let's just say he's gotten a bit incontinent in his old age and leave it at that. I figured it was senility. You think maybe it's the Susato? :lol:

The cat, on the other hand, flatly refuses to remain in a room with any whistle playing above second octave G (unless it's the Whitecap, which he doesn't seem to mind). If he's being naughty, all I have to do is say "Jonah, if you're not careful, mama will have to play 'Danny Boy'" and he straightens right up. :wink:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Redwolf wrote:The cat, on the other hand, flatly refuses to remain in a room with any whistle playing above second octave G (unless it's the Whitecap, which he doesn't seem to mind). If he's being naughty, all I have to do is say "Jonah, if you're not careful, mama will have to play 'Danny Boy'" and he straightens right up. :wink:

Redwolf
Hmm. Our cat seems to like whistles, even in the second octave. In particular, the sound of "Governor King's March" or "The Girl I Left Behind Me" (can you tell where I am in the Clarke book?) acts as a cat magnet. But I don't own a Susato - at home, it's usually a Dixon, Generation, Oak, or Sweetone.

Should I get a Susato VS and experiment, or would that be counted as cruelty to animals? :boggle:
callybeg

Post by callybeg »

The dogs don't mind the whistle. Two of the cats hurl themselves from the house, tails bushy, claws outstretched, wailing like banshees when I play. The kitten on the other hand has decided to become a lap dancer, and performs the most extraordinary contortions while I play, all the while purring as loud as is felinely possible. I have now to play standing up, as he writhes around on my knee nudging the whistle whenever I get it out. People are starting to look at us funny...

Callybeg
if it harms none do as you will
chas

Post by chas »

brianormond wrote:but maybe I'm confusing it with "HuuUUnnnggggGGchhhw..."
Are you sure this isn't the sound made by some Welsh instrument? I can't think of any other type that would end with a w used as a vowel.
:lol:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:
brianormond wrote:but maybe I'm confusing it with "HuuUUnnnggggGGchhhw..."
Are you sure this isn't the sound made by some Welsh instrument? I can't think of any other type that would end with a w used as a vowel.
:lol:
It does look suspiciously like a Cambrian village name.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Don't forget that Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is Welsh.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Cranberry wrote:Don't forget that Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is Welsh.
Cranberry, I'd like to hear you say that three times fast.

In fact, I'd like to hear someone be able to say that at *all* :D
chas

Post by chas »

Cranberry wrote:Don't forget that Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is Welsh.
Is that where they're having the Welsh whistlers get-together? If not, I think they should.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

Funny, I'm the opposite. I PREFER the flutey sound, and am not too fond of the cheap-whistle chirpy sound.

But I have a tuneable Susato in D, don't know what model, and I use it for playing with others, mainly... my Overton is always slightly flat, unless I warm it.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

DCrom wrote:
Cranberry, I'd like to hear you say that three times fast.
Don't say that! Doing it would result in dangerous dehydration. :)