So Who Got Whistles for Christmas?!?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Me!!!

An Oak Dwhich sounds pretty dern good
A Clare D 2-pc thingie that sounds decent
A full set of brass Generations which all sound okay except for the Bb is really breathy sounding and takes a lot of air.

um, yea.

:grin:
castle

Post by castle »

I haven't received my Dixon sop D or G yet (they are on order) but I did get some money to spend on whistles. I'd like to get a high end sop D whistle for under $150. Does anyone have suggestions? I've thought about the Burke pro session, Silkstone (green)and the Harper. Merry Christmas to me.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

My folks bought me a.... BANJO!
Yup, that's right, a banjo! It's all over now.
Chris
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I gave a few whistles away. Does that count?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2001-12-26 17:51, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
My folks bought me a.... BANJO!
Yup, that's right, a banjo! It's all over now.
Chris
Yeah, Seamus Freakin' Laughlin: That punk will be playing a half dozen instruments well before I get a grip on one. Hmph!

So it'll be a Mandolin for your Birthday I suppose?

Loren
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Loren,
More like "Chris 'Will You Quit that Damn Whistle Racket at 3 in the Morning, you've been practicing for six hours! Go and get a job you bum!' Laughlin". Actually, I've always been a bit challenged when it comes to string instruments. The logic of them is too complex for my linear, whistle-centric brain. I'm really looking forward to trying to pry my brain out of that way of thinking, and even into *gasp* the world of chords.
I've sort of got a feeling, however, that I'm working on two much at once and I'm never going to play to my liking on anything if I don't just sit down and focus on one instrument. The pipes are in the closet gathering dust until I move somewhere that I can play them without being interrupted by the cops who are worried someone is dying. The bodhran is hung prettily on the wall and only gets used when I'm in a bad mood and need something to bang on (now that my Abells are gone). The djembe - well, I lent it to someone and they stole it. The atenteben - unfortunately there is not a whole heck of a lot of traditional Ghanaian music going on around here. The shakuhachi - I don't think I'm enlightened enough.... You get the picture. So, wish me luck and persistance with the banjo... and pray for my apartment mates that I quickly learn how to play it well so their suffering is kept to a minimum.
And by the way, Seamus was quite proficient on banjo, mandolin, guitar, pipes, flute and whistle all by the age of 16 when he released his first album. I was 16 seven years ago. I haven't got a chance!
Peace,
Chris
P.S. - Loren, I still can't believe you not only polished the Abells but you cleaned out the crud as well!!! What in God's name were you thinking man?!?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2001-12-26 20:51 ]</font>
shanti

Post by shanti »

I got a brass Mack low G whistle. Lovely flute-like tone. It is a farily low volume whistle which suits me since I often practice at odd hours and don't wish to disturb others.
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

I just came over the pass and down the mountain from out of town for two days, salivating about the Sindt A whistle that I expected to see in my mail box. Well the package was there but the Sindt wasn't. Somewhere before it reached my town someone helped themselves to this gleaming beauty. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper!!!!
I purchased this whistle from someone on this board and I am terribly dissappointed that that person didn't protect my shipment with insurance. A couple of bucks wouldn't have been much to protect my $80 worth of good faith.
There's a feeling of good faith between the members on this board, and I encourage all of you to protect your shipments to preserve that good faith.
A very sad Ronaldo
P.S. My faith is in the process of being restored as the person who is involved with me in this exchange is generously offering to share the burden of my loss.
A feeling better Ronaldo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: reyburnwhistles on 2001-12-27 00:00 ]</font>
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

No whistles this year but a shiny new Bodhran. My mom got it for me much to my wife's dismay. "Where you gonna pound that thing?"

I am happy! Thanks Loren for a nice post idea.

Timmy
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

Santa brought me an Eyer High-D and (please don't burn the heretic!!) 2 Yamaha soprano C recorders...one in hot pink!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Not exactly for Christmas, but did receive two Burkes Saturday. One, a wide-bore brass D, purchased from a listmember, the other a low-C Al Pro. I just LOVE the sound of the WBB D -- I think I'll have to also get an Al Pro D after reading some remarks here. I was initially at a loss what to do with a low-C whistle, but have heard some pieces done on C flutes, mostly from Chris Norman/Baltimore Consort, that I'm quite fond of. The thing is an absolute bear to handle, even with my wide hands. One thing that Mike does that I really like is, the whistle is in FOUR pieces, with the last joint between the fifth and sixth holes. So you can put the RH third hole wherever it's most comfortable. That guy's always thinking!

Charlie
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I got a MadforTrad flute tutorial - with Seamus Egan, whom I deitify, on it. Its on order actually, so I'm waiting for it :smile:
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

I got a video of my brother and Arto's band. Arto plays whistle and dances... cool. :smile:
cj

Post by cj »

Like Anna Martinez, I gave one for a present to a 9-year-old cousin, who just loved it! I also gave an 8-year-old friend an ocarina, which earned me a hug. I love sharing this stuff with kids!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I got Clarke Sweetone for X-mas. Was just curious and while the tone is very breathy, I love the smoothness and how it is in tune.

But MORE importantly, I got my Sindt D! I ordered it back in April and in mid-December I was no. 15 on list (I called...). Then it arrived with a "Merry Christmas, John" written on the invoice. Thank you, John! Great gesture and what a great whistle. I am in love. And all my non-whistling friends and family are impressed by the beautiful head of the whistle.

I also got L.E.'s 121 Session tunes, and it's fabulous! I played classical music and jazz as a kid, and am totally geared toward reading music to learn it. That's how I've learned what tunes I know. But people have been recommending to learn the 121 Session tunes by ear, and so I gave it a try. I took "My Darling Asleep" because I've heard it often before. I put on the headphones, set the CD to repeat, and tried to play a long. For the first ten minutes it was absolutely unbearable and frustrating. Then I picked out first one phrase and then another. Finally everything fell in place and there were just a couple of phrases I couldn't get. So I stopped the CD and tried to sing it slowly and that way figured it out. Result: I learned a jig in a little over half an hour. I still can't believe I did it, and hope to tackle a reel soon...

thanks, Santa!
/Bloomfield