Silkstone or Water Weasel?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Silkstone or Water Weasel?

Post by cj »

Which of the $80ish PVC whistles do y'all like best and why?
glauber

Post by glauber »

I don't know the Silkstone, but i have a Water Weasel D and i humbly think it's the best whistle ever made. :) Beautiful sound, great dynamics, plays great loud or soft, and the opportunity to deal with Glenn is priceless.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Methinks, a little over the top there Glauber...But that said. WWs are very good whistles, a terrific value and Glenn is terrific (that part is not over the top).

Silkstone PVCs have a way different look (diametrically opposed to plumbing tubing); I like them, but IMHO only the C stands out; the D and Bflat are solid but I'd prefer the WW.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I said humbly...
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

I have a Silkstone Bb & A/G combo, & family of Weasels including WW D. IMHO & BSOME [Based Soley On My Experience]..........
Silkstones are very OK, a little too pure & laid back for my liking on most occasions, but most excellent & appropriate sometimes (say, a Christmas tune/song in Church choir):
but for the playing along with sessiun music or at sessiun, or in my basement near the beloved Kilkenny Fridge, my clear preference would be the SchultzTube.
I do agree with the prior opinion along the lines of the WW D being a superb musical instrument.
It has guts if you want to push the instrument, but also can be "feathered" to play more flute-like (until you get to second octave B or higher when it abandons any pretence to gentility).
cj

Post by cj »

Wow, looks like WW is winning so far . . . Thanks for the opinions.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'm coming down on the Silkstone side, frankly. Easier to play, more delicate....the WW has more backpressure and is more variable in sound. Looks-wise, that's strictly a matter of opinion. I loved the pearlescence of the Silkstone....really is pretty, but the looks I get playing a piece of plumbing is worth it!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I've only owned one Silkstone, a Bb. I would have to vote Water Weasel. I've had D G A and Bb. All were excellent though th G was kind of a booger to play due to very large holes. You didn't mention what key you're after. There are very few whistles on the planet better than a Hi-D Water Weasel. :D

Cheers,

Doc
cj

Post by cj »

Any key really. I'd like to find a C and Bb, maybe also an A. A D-C-Bb set would be ideal. I'm not really into low whistles at this point.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I have both. Both are marvelous instruments, and compared to virtually any metal whistle, easy to play. The Silkstone may be just a tad easier on the breath in the second octave. That said, I give the nod to the Silkstone, mostly because th finishes are so cool.
Duckrasta

Post by Duckrasta »

I would recommend the Water Weasel. I haven't played either kind, but they just look so cool.
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

I would recommend the Silkstone for consistency, tuning, and craftsmanship. I've played some really off WW whistles. I have to admit that I really like the PVC plumbing pipe design of the WW, but from what I've seen of both (including Thin Weasels) I think the edge for craftsmanship goes to Silkstone.

Stuart
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

All right- quit it!!!!!!!!!

I have gone one year and 3 months now a been clean of you know what. Now , you are triggering a relapse!

Stop it. :evil:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redding

Post by Redding »

I don't own any Silkstones because I own an arsenal of Water Weasels and can't say enough good things about them or Glenn Schultz. If you order direct from Glenn, you can get pretty much whatever you want -- in my case, whistles that still have the plumbing code on them.

My WhOA has led me to gather many whistles, but if I had to, I would sell off all the others -- well, maybe not the brass Burke high D -- and keep only the Weasels.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

They're both fine lines of whistles. The sound of the Silkstone is big and in your face, pure but not sweet. The Water Weasels I find a bit more complex -- a touch of chiff, more sweetness. WW's have more backpressure, at least in the higher keys. For the D, I'd call it a tossup. C I'd give to the Silkstone. If you're thinking of a Bb or A, get the two-shaft set from Glenn. These are simply two of the best whistles out there. Plus if you don't like 'em, you can return 'em before even sending payment.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.