Name That Ornament

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
artguy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Name That Ornament

Post by artguy »

I'm new to this whole ornament thing. Whenever I listen to music, I can never figure out what they are doing when they're flippin' there fingers all over the place.

So, I was wondering, would someone mind telling me what they are using in this music clip? To me it sounds like rolls and triplets, but I could be dead wrong.
<a href="http://userweb.suscom.net/~artguy/tell- ... 3">Whistle clip</a>

Thanks for your time.

bob
<b>"Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter..."</b>
—John Keats
"Ode on a Grecian Urn" (1820)
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I can't answer your question, but I love your avatar.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Whistle_along_Cassidy

TUne

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

Cant help you there, but what is the the name of that tune is sounds very familiar.
thanx
Andrew Cassidy
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"I'll tell me Ma" is how I know it.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

So is Blackhawk a Go player too?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

Hi, I listened to the clip, hopefully someone else more experienced than I can also chime in, but the first ornament right up from sounds like a triplet, and the other common ornament I would describe as a 'trill', like a playing the note and then lifting the finger up on the same note and cutting. My whistle teacher would have called it a really sloppy cut, lol. It's not a trad ornament for sure, but sounds nice in that clip. I like the digeridoo in the tune.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

geek4music wrote:So is Blackhawk a Go player too?
A poor one, but yes. It's quite a game. I just don't have anyone with whom to play.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I listened to it slowed down, I believe these are doubled cuts (doubled graces).

Sometimes like this:

A2 A{BA} G2

And sometimes like this:

G2 G{AGAG} A2

This is also much like a short trill; lawhistle is correct. I have heard this effect (and many others!) often in Matt Molloy's playing.

--James
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I was thinking short trill, too.

This leads into something I've been thinking about. I think this is Paddy Moloney(sp?) playing, and the ornaments don't sound anything like pipe ornaments, and I don't generally find his whistling anything like his piping. Do most pipers play the whistle very differently from the pipes? I know Liam O'Flynn plays the whistle very much like the pipes -- almost no tonguing, most notes and all accents decorated somehow. How'bout fluters, too? Do they tend to bring a lot of flute-playing style to their whistling?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Paddy plays a lot of solidly traditional piping ornaments: "shivers" or "shakes" (these are equivalent to "short trills"), double cuts, crans, rolls, staccato triplets, etc. I haven't heard him play anything that other, older pipers didn't use at one time or another, like Ennis, Touhy, etc. Get an earful of Patsy Touhy, Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, Leo Rowsome etc., it's all there.

As for playing the whistle differently, yes, I do anyway, I figure I have a tongue so I might as well use it to help articulate the tunes. But that's just a personal preference of mine. I use lots of ornaments too but I don't rely on either method exclusively.
artguy

Post by artguy »

Thank you all for your help.

I thought it was very interesting you guys could pick up on who was actually playing the whistle and what style each person plays with. Quite facinating.

It is indeed "I'll Tell Me Ma" performed by Van Morrison & The Chieftains on Irish Heartbeat. And it is Paddy playing the whistle, to my knowledge.

Thank you for deciphering the ornaments. That just always bugged me but knew someone would have a clue on here.
blackhawk wrote:I can't answer your question, but I love your avatar.
Thanks. I do love playing Go. I'm just learning. I made by own goban and bought some Ing stones. Play with my wife on 9x9 so we both learn. Been wanting to go on the KGS servers to play with those guys.

Is geek4music a Go player as well?
Are sweeter..."</b>
—John Keats
madguy

Post by madguy »

artguy, I may have asked before, and if I did, I apologize for my forgetfulness! Being from southwestern NJ, I can't help but wonder where in the hell Jersey Shore, PA is??? :o

~Larry
artguy

Post by artguy »

madguy wrote:artguy, I may have asked before, and if I did, I apologize for my forgetfulness! Being from southwestern NJ, I can't help but wonder where in the hell Jersey Shore, PA is??? :o

~Larry
I don't recall you asking before, but I don't really mind repeating myself anyway. It's not quite, but close to the very middle of Pennsylvania (250 miles or so from the actual Jersey shoreline). We're about 15 miles outside of Williamsport, PA where the Little League World Series just ended this past weekend. There's several stories of why it's called Jersey Shore. I think it mostly revolves around the settlers who origanted from New Jersey starting this colony in the 1760s.
Are sweeter..."</b>
—John Keats
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

The ornaments in question are just simple nonharmonic tones. Such as, where you have two consecutive D notes, played with a D chord, you put a quick E between the two D notes. E is not part of the D chord, but is the neighbor to the two D notes. The actual name in Irish-speak, I'm not sure, but in theory classes it'd be called a neighbor tone. JP
artguy

Post by artguy »

JohnPalmer wrote:Such as, where you have two consecutive D notes, played with a D chord, you put a quick E between the two D notes.
Wouldn't that be considered a cut then if it is a quick E to separate 2 D notes?
Are sweeter..."</b>
—John Keats